Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
well I guess my age is showing. For our older kids well baby check up were paid for (of course for the younger ones too) but since i didn't take my older ones annually, I never thought about it for these two younger ones. Not a matter of insurance or money- just didn't see the purpose. And I certainly have enough health issues and see docs for head to toe I never stop to think "Oh it's time for my annual". Wish I only had to see a doc every 12 months.

Thank you for answering folks. I've rep'd where I could. CD is a wealth of information when people share like this.
I'm with you, my kids certainly don't seem any worse off than other kids because they very rarely saw a doctor. They almost never got sick, almost always had perfect attendance. I've always felt the "germiest" place to bring kids is a doctor's waiting room and why expose perfectly healthy kids to the sickest kids and let them be coughed on, sneezed on, and whatever else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I doubt there is any evidence at all that people who go very frequently to a doctor are any healthier than those who seldom go to one. I do believe for certain conditions, doctors are necessary, but they can't do much for you if you feel great and have no symptoms of any kind. If they ask you how you feel, and you telll them you feel great, chances are they won't be ordering CAT scans and MRIs that might detect something you can't see or feel. You can check your blood pressure yourself and even increase your level of exercise and eat more vegetables without needing to be told.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I doubt there is any evidence at all that people who go very frequently to a doctor are any healthier than those who seldom go to one. I do believe for certain conditions, doctors are necessary, but they can't do much for you if you feel great and have no symptoms of any kind. If they ask you how you feel, and you telll them you feel great, chances are they won't be ordering CAT scans and MRIs that might detect something you can't see or feel. You can check your blood pressure yourself and even increase your level of exercise and eat more vegetables without needing to be told.

I get what you are saying, but our schools require copies of shot records so often, we really have little choice. In Kindergarten, 6th grade, and 9th grade. More often if your child plays a sport.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Why not go? Some physical conditions are not associated with being sick or healthy. The doctor can check for certain back problems, lung function, the heart, vision, hearing, some dental issues, and other problems.

It is also a good way to get questions answered that don't warrant a trip to the doctor on their own. Maybe mom or dad have a question about when they should take their daughter to the OB/GYN. Maybe their kid has a mole that looks slightly off, or a wart, and they want to know how much they should monitor it. Maybe their kid has gotten head lice multiple times and they need to know how they can prevent it.

Some people also have phobias about visiting a doctor, so familiarizing a child or teen with simple preventative visits can show them that a doctor is not always a terrible thing.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
there is no harm in taking kids for an annual well child exam. It is recommended by doctors and, especially if it is covered by insurance, I'm wondering why any parent, old, young, experienced, or not would choose to skip it.
Probably because they have no insurance or the time to take off from work.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
My kids had some sort of physical every year until they went to college. In high school and middle school they needed physicals for sports. They also received HPV vaccines in high school from the pediatrician. DD started seeing a gynecologist at 16 due to some female needs.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why the condescention was needed. Other parents made choices that were different, it doesn't make them "young and inexperienced".....
it was a good opportunity for us to touch base with the medical community and ensure that we were informed and up to date. It also helped my kids feel comfortable with being examined so when they were teens they could speak freely with the doctor.
Completely agree with the 1st part - no judgement coming back to you, so not sure why the need to draw the false "experienced vet" vs "young inexperienced parent" card when it comes to something like a check up

Also agree about building and keeping that rapport with the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Preventive health care is much easier than corrective, I want my children to have that mindset well established.
Exactly - it's a good habit to get into and a good lesson to impart into your kids. I'm not sure if it would have made much of a difference, but I probably should have gone on annuals in my 20s

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
We should all know the importance of getting annuals when we are older, so why not teach our children that from the get go. My husband died of a heart attack due to hypertension. If he would have went to annual check-ups, instead of just when he was sick (which was never) he would have caught it a lot sooner. He had a family history of high BP but assumed that was for when he was older, not 36.

You can bet your a@@ that I am showing my kids the importance of taking a proactive approach with healthcare, rather than a reactive.
Again a good point - there is often the case of thinking you know, you're fine and you're not at risk ... but there are always outliers ........ I can see if there is a cost/jobs issue, but if you can make and pay for the appointment (or insurance covers) why not? - a lot less productive ways to spend an hour each year

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
It is also a good way to get questions answered that don't warrant a trip to the doctor on their own. Maybe mom or dad have a question about when they should take their daughter to the OB/GYN. Maybe their kid has a mole that looks slightly off, or a wart, and they want to know how much they should monitor it. Maybe their kid has gotten head lice multiple times and they need to know how they can prevent it.
This as well. It provides a good opportunity to ask questions that pediatricians stay well informed with. Even as an active parent who monitors this stuff, I still have a full time profession and kids and other hobbies so the candle burns a bit. A good doctor is reading the journals, studies, etc. They typically can give you an up to date perspective or answer questions and discuss something that you may have come across or read.

I was really good friends with my pediatricians son - so while our Dr./Patient relationship was typically confined to being sick, injured or a school related physical, I did "see" him quite frequently. If I was coughing too much while playing cards I would get an inquisition. I could also have an informal dialogue when I wanted it.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:

But I'm guessing younger and less experienced parents would automatically follow up with annual physicals if they are encouraged to do so and if their insurance pays for it.
I meant absolutely no condescension whatsoever. I am 66 years old, raised 2 older kids, instrumental in the raising of 3 step children and now have 2 eleven year olds. Regular annual check ups for all 5 of the older kids (now ages 30-52) definitely WERE NOT covered by insurance - except well baby check ups- and quite frankly I didn't even think about it changing with the two younger ones. Annual check ups for kids past toddlerhood just wasn't the norm back then. That is what I meant by younger less experienced. These parents didn't start off with one set of standards only to see them change with subsequent kids. That is why annual physicals would be automatic for these parents and not for me.

We moved to a different state when the girls were in 1st grade. They had all their school-starting shots in one state and I took them to a pediatrician when we moved here just to be patients on record. But after that they didn't get sick (except one girl I took to the emergency room on a weekend when she had a bad tummy bug which did not respond to OTC meds). Eyes and teeth have specialty docs, hearing is tested in schools,and we take them to clinics for flu shots every year. I thought I had it pretty much covered.
I definitely believe in preventative care.

I'm surprised to hear that a blood test is sometimes considered routine for annual physical. And would a routine annual physical check for lung function unless it was mentioned there was a problem? Again surprised.
I'd hate to tell a child we were going to the doc just to make sure everything is fine and "Don't worry, it will be painless" only to have to then tell them a blood draw was necessary. That would be unfair I think.

This rising 6th grader is especially poor at dealing with pain. Getting her flu shots is always traumatic. I surely do hope they don't decide to draw blood for this "routine physical". She's already a bit anxious about the necessary shot and a blood draw takes longer and sometimes they don't get "in" the first time.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
I meant absolutely no condescension whatsoever. I am 66 years old, raised 2 older kids, instrumental in the raising of 3 step children and now have 2 eleven year olds. Regular annual check ups for all 5 of the older kids (now ages 30-52) definitely WERE NOT covered by insurance - except well baby check ups- and quite frankly I didn't even think about it changing with the two younger ones. Annual check ups for kids past toddlerhood just wasn't the norm back then. That is what I meant by younger less experienced. These parents didn't start off with one set of standards only to see them change with subsequent kids. That is why it would be automatic for these parents.
I guess it depends on the insurance, but every one I have been on covers an annual physical, including labs, regardless of the age of the patient.

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that a blood test is sometimes considered routine for annual physical. And would a routine annual physical check for lung function unless it was mentioned there was a problem? Against surprised.
I'd hate to tell a child we were going to the doc just to make sure everything is fine and "Don't worry, it will be painless" only to have to then tell them a blood draw was necessary. That would be unfair I think.
Well then don't tell her that. I tell my children "We are going for your annual checkup, they will more than likely weigh and measure you, check your eyes, throat, ears, spine, quick peek in the panties, temperature, blood pressure, sample of urine, and a finger prick. If need be they may take a small sample of blood, or give you a shot. They'll tell you everything they are going to do, it will be over quickly, and I'll be right there." No muss, no fuss.

Quote:
This rising 6th grader is especially poor at dealing with pain. Getting her flu shots is always traumatic. I surely do hope they don't decide to draw blood for this "routine physical". She's already a bit anxious about the necessary shot and a blood draw takes longer and sometimes they don't get "in" the first time.
I knew this is what this thread was about. Enabling her fear of doctors is not going to help her in the long run. IME being matter of fact, unemotional, and being understanding but firm is what will help her rather than looking for an out.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

I'm surprised to hear that a blood test is sometimes considered routine for annual physical.
We had an HMO that stressed wellness. Annual check-ups were covered (there may have been a minimal co-pay some years as the coverage changed) and blood and urine tests were included. We had them done every year and the school had a policy that annual physicals had to be done for sports. The HMO also had vision and hearing included so we had that checked annually as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting