Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't need a doctor to tell me to eat right, exercise, etc. Cancer, scoliosis, cataracts, vision problems, hearing problems, and many other conditions can not be stopped by maintaining a health lifestyle. They can't be prevented whether you go to the doctor or not.
Are you serious? Why do you think physicals are otherwise referred to as preventive maintenance? For example, loss of hearing from ear infections can be determined by a pediatrician and preventive measures can be taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Cancer cannot be prevented by a healthy lifestyle?

Huh?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Are you serious? Why do you think physicals are otherwise referred to as preventive maintenance? For example, loss of hearing from ear infections can be determined by a pediatrician and preventive measures can be taken.
How about you take my quote in context? I think you completely missed my point. What kind of measures would a doctor take to prevent hearing loss that is already present? An ear infection is something that would be treated at a sick visit. The resultant hearing loss would only be caught at a well visit. It would maybe be treated with a hearing aid, but it would be too late to prevent it. this only proves my point that well visits are necessary to dx any number of things that wouldn't be caught at a sick visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cancer cannot be prevented by a healthy lifestyle?

Huh?
Obviously some can, but not all. Are you trying to use one sentence taken out of context to make the argument against well visits?

Quote:
I don't need a doctor to tell me to eat right, exercise, etc. Cancer, scoliosis, cataracts, vision problems, hearing problems, and many other conditions can not be stopped by maintaining a health lifestyle. They can't be prevented whether you go to the doctor or not. Well checks don't necessarily prevent anything, but they can diagnose and treat as early as possible.
I was only replying to a poster who said a healthy lifestyle is the only preventative care a person needs. My point was that a lot of things can happen even to people who live a healthy lifestyle, and they will likely not be diagnosed at an unrelated sick visit. If you go back and read all the posts in context, it makes sense, and yes, I am serious.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Obviously I am not against well visits as I stated in a previous post that I have gone every year and will continue to for life.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
How about you take my quote in context? I think you completely missed my point. What kind of measures would a doctor take to prevent hearing loss that is already present? An ear infection is something that would be treated at a sick visit. The resultant hearing loss would only be caught at a well visit. It would maybe be treated with a hearing aid, but it would be too late to prevent it.
If you want your posts to be taken in context, then quote the post that you're referring to. Otherwise, they ARE in context. And during a "sick" visit, a pediatrician can use a tympanogram to determine the amount, if any, of hearing loss from an ear infection and put the child on a different antibiotic or take other measures if the child seems susceptible to ear infections.

Quote:
I was only replying to a poster who said a healthy lifestyle is the only preventative care a person needs. My point was that a lot of things can happen even to people who live a healthy lifestyle, and they will likely not be diagnosed at an unrelated sick visit. If you go back and read all the posts in context, it makes sense, and yes, I am serious.
Getting an annual physical is a huge step toward preventing illness.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
If you want your posts to be taken in context, then quote the post that you're referring to. Otherwise, they ARE in context. And during a "sick" visit, a pediatrician can use a tympanogram to determine the amount, if any, of hearing loss from an ear infection and put the child on a different antibiotic or take other measures if the child seems susceptible to ear infections.

Getting an annual physical is a huge step toward preventing illness.
I invite you to take another look at post #90.

My son had chronic ear infections and his hearing was never tested until after the fact, when he was having trouble with his speech. An ear infection would be a sick visit, not a well visit anyway. In any case, if you read my post in relation to malamute's, which I quoted, you might be able to better understand what I meant. I didn't say or mean that well visits aren't preventative. I said they are not only preventative but also diagnostic. Like I said, your ear infection example further makes my point. My son's hearing and speech problems were dx'ed at a well visit, months after his ear infections ended.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
My son had chronic ear infections and his hearing was never tested until after the fact, when he was having trouble with his speech.... My son's hearing and speech problems were dx'ed at a well visit, months after his ear infections ended.
Hope you changed pediatricians. That's appalling.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Hope you changed pediatricians. That's appalling.
Do you think hearing loss is the only reason to try to cure an ear infection, or don't you think the doctor should try to cure it whether or not there is hearing loss? We went in for ear infections numerous times, and he was put on antibiotics. A few days later, he was better. He didn't have any permanent hearing loss, but had numerous temporary losses while his ears were infected. That's expected. All of this is completely irrelevant anyway because we are talking about WELL visits, not sick visits. But you deleted the parts of my post that were actually relevant to the conversation.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well my kids seem to be surviving just fine -- they have zero health problems. It's fine for those who want them I think -- or those who need the reassurance that their seemingly healthy kids really are healthy. And those who need someone to tell them the lifestyle choices they should make. Like one doctor was telling us, he told one of his older patients that he needed to stop smoking, cut back on drinking, lose weight and get some exercise, and the guy looked at him and said "well doc, if I could do all that, I wouldn't need you". Preventative health care can be something you just do for yourself.

Should You Get an Annual Physical? - DukeHealth.org

The annual physical came under fire recently when a medical study suggested it was no longer necessary. The news, combined with recent changes in cancer screening guidelines, left many people confused. How often should you see your doctor for checkups to stay healthy?

“The key is for each person to be responsible for their own health,” says Doyle.
The article you quoted is specifically targeted at adults, not children...

All children should have annual physical exams through high school that remains the standard of care according to American Academy of Pediatrics.

And while your "seemingly healthy kids" probably are healthy, Pediatricians diagnose thousands of abnormalities including potentially life threatening ones every year during these routine exams.

So I guess we will keep getting those annual exams for our kids, not because we "need the reassurance" but rather we prefer to be proactive rather than stick our heads in the sand and assume everything is OK.

Why does my child need to have a physical exam every year? | Survivor: Pediatrics

Old 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When I called to get an appointment for my rising 6th grader her necessary shot I realized this 11 year old child had not been seen by a physician for 3 years. Is that so terrible? Now if she had been sick, or course I would not hesitate to get her ASAP to doc. She had all her well baby checks and shots, what she needed for starting school, etc. But I figure if it ain't broke why fix it. She is growing fine, weighs what she needs to, all systems are working fine, skin clear, no bruises, no aches or pains.

I was told she had to have a physical and could not just get a shot. Well I guess I don't mind but it got me to thinking what do other parents do? Do you take a healthy kid to get a physical just cause somebody says (doctor lobby?) it has to be done every 12 months?

My first 2 kids are well grown and I never had physicals for them unless they were sick of needed it for sports team, etc. And they turned out great. When did this every 12 month stuff start?

I'm 38, and still get an annual physical. Its normally free preventative care (by govt law). The idea is to catch issues before you notice them. . .Annual physicals are more in-depth and completly different than a illness/sick child visit. Usually comprehensive with blood tests, etc

Risk might be low for kids, but as you get older. . .eh its just a good habit like a dental visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting