Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times

Advertisements

That's great news about the baby sleeping at night. I know she's cranky during the day, but that will subside. The baby will start day care at three months, and that's a good age. I used to work in the baby room at a day care and three month olds do well. I suggest starting the day care a week before she goes back to school for half days. This will get her and the baby ready for the separation.

The thumb will serve the baby well as a self soother she can never lose. My daughter sucked her thumb until age two. We got a simple plastic device from the dentist to put on her thumb at night, but we never even had to use it. She would tuck her thumbs under her body and go to sleep. It was really cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
School is starting back up in a little over a month for her. She is checking into child care now to prepare. I had to push her into it. She was procrastinating big time.

But that was the deal. We would support her if she remains in school.
Her future would be written in stone if she was allowed to break the deal.

Good job, Granny! Can we call you Granny?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
He accidentally "signed" her name??? Ugh... what a mess kids this young make of their lives. And this is only the beginning.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Still no paternity test!!!!

My daughter is on pins and needles waiting on it.
We did hear from the court about the paperwork. Apparently fob signed my daughter's name to the consent for the test. I do think it was an accident with him not realizing what was going on. My daughter said there were a lot of papers flying around the table.

Baby turned two months and is now rolling over. She only likes to sleep at night which is great but she gets so tired during the day that she doesn't know what to do with herself and is cranky pants.

She found her thumb and it's so adorable. I reminded my daughter of the importance of an education and a job with a good dental plan. She's going to need it.

School is starting back up in a little over a month for her. She is checking into child care now to prepare. I had to push her into it. She was procrastinating big time.

But that was the deal. We would support her if she remains in school.

I will say she is doing a good job with the baby.
I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this info is known, but is there a possibility that the baby's father is someone other than the boy who has been around all this time?

That could certainly make things chaotic for a while.

Still hoping for the best possible outcome for everyone.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
PLEASE, if it's not too late, try to addict her to a pacifier instead. It's relatively easy to take away the pacifier at about one year old, before it causes buck teeth, but it can be VERY hard to quit thumb sucking. I quit at about nine years old, and it took a great deal of effort on my part. I've seen teenagers who cannot quit, despite dental devices cemented into their mouths to discourage thumb sucking. Have a serious discussion with your daughter about this. Braces for this would cost at least five thousand dollars nowadays, and she hasn't got a penny to her name. Dental insurance mostly doesn't pay more than a thousand toward braces, if that. Prevention is the name of the game here.

How is she going to manage paying for daycare while going to school?

Did the father print her name, thinking that he was filling her name in on a form, or did he write her name in script, like a signature? Most teens nowadays don't write in script ever, except when they sign a name, so it surely would not have been an "accident" if he signed her name in script. That is a very serious issue if he did. He needs to know that he can never do that again, or there could be legal consequences for him.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I agree about the pacifier would be preferable to the thumb. I had a babysitter who was sucking her thumb while she slept at 14 years old. I only know this because she was sleeping on the sofa when we came home from the movies. Since she did this in her sleep, she very well might be still sucking her thumb today at 30 years old while she sleeps.

You can take the pacifier away, but you can NEVER take the thumb away. I don't think the dental bills are anything to laugh about either. Your daughter could save a lot of money in the future buying a pacifier now. She could also save your granddaughter from the embarrassment of friends making fun of her at sleepovers throughout her life.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Some babies simply will not take pacifiers. Mine always spit them out, but both used their thumbs. They did not have trouble quitting though and the dental bills for my older one were a consequence of his small jaw, big teeth combination, not of thumb sucking.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this info is known, but is there a possibility that the baby's father is someone other than the boy who has been around all this time?

That could certainly make things chaotic for a while.

Still hoping for the best possible outcome for everyone.
Wow....just because a young woman wants to get this all over and done with and stop with the unknowns, she is somehow trying to pull one over on the father of her child?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Eh, oral devices and thumb guards are relatively inexpensive and very effective. Most kids stop sucking their thumbs before PreK-K . The ones who don't stop would use other methods of self soothing in my experience that are much harder to stop. ( biting nails, masturbation, twisting or pulling hair, rocking, biting nails, etc...)

Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

I have to be honest here. I've not been feeling well and it's really a bad time for it. I did make an appointment with my cardio. Quite a bit of chest pain and middle shoulder blade. I'm sure it's just stress.
I missed this.

Please take care of yourself. It's good you're getting checked. Chest pain is nothing to mess around with or ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting