Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How did your child convince to get one of those fancy auto-mobiles? Couldn't they just keep riding the horse to school?
That's what feet and bikes and school busses are for. On the other hand, if my kids were five years older, there's a better chance of us buying (or helping) with a car than a smart phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
+1

Nothing is wrong with Zimbochick, and your question is prejudicial.

I started to agree that no one "needs" a smart phone, but it absolutely does make my job easier.

As for kids, a "smart phone" isn't really about the phone. It's their social currency. It's a camera, a radio, a silent communication device. It's a mobile library, an encyclopedia and a film vault.

When kids reach middle school age, it does come in handy for safety and communication.

And it's another tool to teach your kids how to use wisely and safely.

Sure, they don't NEED a smart phone. Outhouses still serve the same purpose they used to as well, but we've moved on from those too.

"Outhouses"??? Sorry. Bathrooms are a feature of my home and yours. I know that without asking. It's normative. I don't pay extra mortgage money each month so that my teenagers can use a toilet.
They are standard with all homes, apartments and mobile homes and required in most municipalities.

I have a flip phone. My children and husband have the number.

I'll literally do anything to insure that my children receive the best educations available to them. That's an enduring gift.

The latest gadget? Nope. I'll pass.

Sometimes parenting is not about making my life easier - or their lives more fun.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Mine didn't. Tracfones for them are $18 for the phone and $5.50 a month. Almost all those smart phone unlimited talk and text is a giant waste.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm not sure why a child would need a smartphone.
Do you limit yourself and all of your family members to what you absolutely positively need? Since when are children not allowed to have anything that they don't need?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I honestly don't understand the disdain for smart phones. They have proven their worth in our household. My kids don't even place their GPS units in their cars anymore, because the app on their phones is more thorough, and up to date. The IPhones were free with a contract, which we had with our basic phones anyway, so it made sense to get the most functionality available.

We don't think of smart phones as "fun". We think of them as tools for everyday life.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I honestly don't understand the disdain for smart phones. They have proven their worth in our household. My kids don't even place their GPS units in their cars anymore, because the app on their phones is more thorough, and up to date. The IPhones were free with a contract, which we had with our basic phones anyway, so it made sense to get the most functionality available.

We don't think of smart phones as "fun". We think of them as tools for everyday life.
Agreed.

We also do not have a landline so for us, unlimited minutes and texting is not a waste. Not to mention there are some incredibly useful apps. Many are time saving and money saving. There is more to smartphone then social media.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM

228 posts, read 343,984 times
My kid didn't say anything - T Mobile did, when they recently brought out their non-contract family plan. Unlimited calls, texting and data, for $50 for the first line, $30 for the second (that's hubby and I, then), and then all other lines are $10 each to add on. So when hubby and I got new phones earlier this month, we gave my 13 yr old my old smartphone, and added him on for $10 a month all in. We don't have a landline, so this is a steal.

He's had an iPod Touch for about 4-5 years now, and that's been the best 'pence per use' thing we've ever bought him - it's used daily for audio books, games, reading on, checking facts, as a calculator, as a messaging device, etc etc. I imagine his new phone will hardly ever actually be used as a phone.

He's aware that supply of a new device for free will only happen every couple of years, on a family tech cascade. If he breaks or loses this one, he goes back to having an old brick phone, or buys his own.

My 9 yr old doesn't have a phone yet, as she has no need/ use for one at all as she doesn't go places without us and it's not part of normal 9 yr old interaction in her social circle. I guess she'll get one around age 11, when we next upgrade ours and pass the old ones down the pipeline. This time round, she got hubby's old iPod Touch, as her old one (which she's had since she was 5, and has never broken, lost or taken in the pool) didn't have a camera and this one does.

My kids, and no doubt others, are going to grow up finding the idea of a landline most peculiar. Who ever phones a house? You phone individual people, on their own personal communications device, probably with video conferencing. I love it - it's like I'm living in Star Trek.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
kodokan, I hadn't had a landline in years and got a free one with my internet provider here. My youngest picked up the phone and promptly hung up saying it was broken. I picked it up and it was fine. She pointed out that it was making the most strangest buzzing sound. I listened and then it dawned on me. She is 8 years old and I don't think we ever had a landline in her little lifetime so she had no idea what a dial tone. End thread jack.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
They are a useful tool and will play a significant role in daily lives going forward. I want my kids to be well versed on technology.
How are they a useful tool?

Is it a need or a want?

I know cellphones and computers are needs. However, smartphones is a want.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
How are they a useful tool?

Is it a need or a want?

I know cellphones and computers are needs. However, smartphones is a want.
I respectfully disagree. When my oldest's school started a bring your own technology, the choices were tablet, laptop/netbook or smartphone.

I chose smartphone as it was the cheapest option for me being "free" from my cellphone provider and a savings since it killed 2 birds with one stone. Plus it was portable and easier to keep track of. And insurance on it was cheap. So for me it wasn't a want and it filled a need very well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting