Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I'm happy, in fact more than happy for my tax dollars to go to short term help for somebody like Gcs15 and the countless others who need a hand up from unfortunate circumstances, illness or accident. That is what the welfare system is for. It's the long term welfare recipient who depend on the dole and then pass that mindset of dependance on to the next generation which ticks me off.

I'd rather my tax dollars go to that than stupidity like do- nothing congress and Boehner filing lawsuit against the POTUS for the same things he praised his predecessor for doing while in office.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Wow. You sure know how to take a statement out of context. Did you decide to get in that accident?
I didn't take anything out of context. She said "yes I will remember welfare is for people who make stupid decisions". It's not. It's for people who tried doing things right and something uncontrollable caused them to lose their job, be in the hospital, need help. I didn't decide anything other then to leave work and go home. Last thing I remembered was being in the car talking, then I blacked out and woke up five days later. If welfare wasn't there as a safety net I would have been stuck with $500,000 worth of medical bills, no job, no anything. That's the point. People don't *want* to be on welfare! Its not something you grow up saying "wow, this is something I want to do with my life." It is something that sucks, to be honest. But it can happen to anyone. You think you are doing everything right and either 1) someone else's bad decision causes you to lose everything (like in my case and many others who have been injured by drunk drivers) or 2) something uncontrollable happens (like cancer). You can still do everything right and by the book and end up needing help.

Just another thing to point out. The average american household making $50,000 paid $36 a year towards food stamps, and $6 to all the other safety net programs. But the average household puts $2436 towards corporate subsidies.
http://ctj.org/ctjinthenews/2013/11/...p#.U6yIIdq9KSM
http://thefederalist.com/2013/09/30/...orate-welfare/

I would want my money to help those who need it, not corporations who don't.

Last edited by Gcs15; 06-26-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, as recently as a couple of hours ago, Ivory was still joining in on the anti-Obama bashing on POC.

Youngest daughter gets $1000/month in SS benefits, does she not? Let her put herself through school.

You may call those that need welfare stupid. In your case, it's pure karma. I apologize in advance for not offering sympathy and constructive criticism, but it's been shown post after post, you aren't interested in any advice that requires you to do some self-examination and soul searching.
Please stop making this political. One can use "welfare" and still be anti-Obama. It is allowed, you know. I don't agree with the decisions Ivory is making in regards to this situation, but the multiple posts basically saying for her daughter to get an abortion even after Ivory said her daughter doesn't want one under any circumstances and the anti-conservative posts are getting ridiculous.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Please stop making this political. One can use "welfare" and still be anti-Obama. It is allowed, you know. I don't agree with the decisions Ivory is making in regards to this situation, but the multiple posts basically saying for her daughter to get an abortion even after Ivory said her daughter doesn't want one under any circumstances and the anti-conservative posts are getting ridiculous.
You're a bit late to this party. Ivory is the one calling welfare recipients stupid on one hand, while continuing to join in the anti-liberal( those who support social programs) threads on POC.

Nobody has recommended abortion. A few people have brought it up as a viable option, which it is, however it certainly is not Ivory's call.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 PM

I can't think of a more political subject that welfare. And this thread has been about the daughter getting on welfare for many reasons, one of which is her parents' unwillingness to house and support their daughter and her baby.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Oh come now. Ivory called the ACA "Obummercare" by about the second post. There's nothing anti conservative here, per se, it's anti hypocrisy. Turnabout is fair play.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
It's a difficult situation, no doubt. I recall that Ivory is a woman of faith. Perhaps her church community can offer assistance.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's a difficult situation, no doubt. I recall that Ivory is a woman of faith. Perhaps her church community can offer assistance.
Which is exactly where she should be looking and not for handouts from hard working Americans.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Except Ivory's daughter doesn't need welfare. People who **** and moan about 'welfare queens' and all sound awfully hypocritical when they suggest someone should quit their job and minimize income in order to get as much welfare and other government benefits as possible. I thought conservatives were all about "only people who really need welfare should get it!!"

Ivory's daughter does not fall into that category.

Last edited by strawflower; 06-26-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Oh wow. You're an expert on my finances now...

What about dh retired, dd#2 almost ready to leave for college and my teacher salary do you think puts us in position to support this baby? You might want to buy a clue here.

My solution is to give this baby to someone who can care for it but I don't get my choice. We have to make the best of dd's choice. I'm not happy with or proud of where she is but it's kind of a done deal. I am glad that she got a job and plans to work to support her baby. That will minimize the help they need and that's really the best she can do other than to give the baby up.
We know enough to know your husband was able to retire and that the social security offered monthly $$ for your minor child of a retired person; and that you were ready to turn that money down because you didn't need it. We know DD1 had a bedroom in your house up until 1 month ago that is now sitting empty. We know that you somehow managed to keep your job for the next school year. It isn't that you CAN'T help, it's that you WON'T help.

As I said up thread, you like to say you "have no choice." BS. You have choices. You offered up only one solution and then passed her on to the taxpayers to deal with.

She could move into her old room.

She could move into an apartment that you generously help her find and put down a deposit on.

You could subsidize her living expenses until she's able to get on her feet.

You could keep her on your insurance so she gets the best prenatal care possible.

You could stock her refrigerator.

You could help her shop for furniture at garage sales.

You could help her budget to see if she even needs much help from you or the government.

But no. You sign her up for welfare as soon as the stick turns pink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting