Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17. They go to the same school. Now I know in this PC- orientated world, people will immediately claim I'm a racist. Personally, I don't think I am. Racism has somewhat lost its meaning due to the rise of liberalism... it used to mean someone who believes in racial superiority and discriminates against people of a different race. I do neither. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of her being with the guys she's with. Call me old school if you like. And before people shout "racist" down my throat - Arab Muslims only want their children to date/marry other Arab Muslims. Is that racist?

That's not the definition of racist. But, don't worry. Lots of non-whites feel the same way. let the PC crowd play their games. When it comes to your daughter, all bets are off.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 PM

9 posts, read 11,940 times
Tell your daughter to stay away from black guys because she will become a single mother. Black men are nothing but sperm donors. Trust me I have seen my share of single white and Hispanic women with black babies but no daddy around. It's a fact just ask black women.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. Admittedly I don't know much about him. My daughter lives with her mother. We're divorced. However it's no secret that African-Americans commit a disproportionate amount of crime. Is it unreasonable for me to be concerned when I contemplate it from that aspect? This is my child we're talking about. Even if I'm being over-protective, I'd rather be that than sorry.
Holy hell....just admit it....you are racist.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM

66 posts, read 129,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Holy hell....just admit it....you are racist.
How does stating a fact make me racist? Okay, is saying that white people in America have the highest child molestation numbers and that they are the most prone to methamphetamine addiction - the statistics show us this - racist?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17.
What kind of young woman did you raise? Is she a good person who makes good choices?

If you raised a daughter who makes lousy choices and she picked a jerk who would be a jerk no matter what his color was ..... you have more to worry about than your daughter dating someone of another race.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 PM

105 posts, read 95,969 times
Not necessarily-you are definitely prejudiced,but everyone is,if they say they're not,they are lying..at least you are being honest..I am a child from a multicultural relationship and I think there is reason to be concerned. People with no experience in these types of situations may look from the outside in and say"whats wrong with biracial dating?" well-nothing,but there are HUGE cultural differences that need to be addressed and I have grown up seeing an incredibly difficult marriage unfold,my parents really didn't discuss a lot of things before they got married and they had opposite views on very important issues. One might think that white and black people don't have cultural differences because they are from the same country-but there will be differences as your daughter will learn. It's more complicated than people want to admit,but that has nothing to do with skin color. The fact is,if you allow her to date,you can't tell her who she can and can't date. If anything,you should be concerned about whether she is sexually active,have you talked to her about birth control? Does she know the consequences of sexual intercourse and making sure he's been tested for STDs if they decide to go that route? Do you both communicate openly with one another? I would be more concerned about an unwanted pregnancy than anything else.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you unreasonable...... That depends on what kind of young woman you raised. If she's a good person who makes good choices.... you're totally out of line.

If you raised a daughter who makes lousy choices and she picked a jerk who would be a jerk no matter what his color was ..... you have more to worry about than your daughter dating someone of another race.
My daughter is a wonderful, intelligent and beautiful person who makes good choices. Never gets in trouble. I know we're all subjective when it comes to our children, but she truly is an angel. That is fact in my book. But that still doesn't invalidate my concerns.

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
what if black parents told there son to only date black girls ?

I doubt many would say this is racist

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
How does stating a fact make me racist? Okay, is saying that white people in America have the highest child molestation numbers and that they are the most prone to methamphetamine addiction - the statistics show us this - racist?
Statistics never tell the full story and often lie......as correlation does not equal causation.. .and you have not even met this young man....your only reason is his skin color.

How many people who aren't white are you friends with or work with?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
Not necessarily-you are definitely prejudiced,but everyone is,if they say they're not,they are lying..at least you are being honest..I am a child from a multicultural relationship and I think there is reason to be concerned. People with no experience in these types of situations may look from the outside in and say"whats wrong with biracial dating?" well-nothing,but there are HUGE cultural differences that need to be addressed and I have grown up seeing an incredibly difficult marriage unfold,my parents really didn't discuss a lot of things before they got married and they had opposite views on very important issues. One might think that white and black people don't have cultural differences because they are from the same country-but there will be differences as your daughter will learn. It's more complicated than people want to admit,but that has nothing to do with skin color. The fact is,if you allow her to date,you can't tell her who she can and can't date. If anything,you should be concerned about whether she is sexually active,have you talked to her about birth control? Does she know the consequences of sexual intercourse and making sure he's been tested for STDs if they decide to go that route? Do you both communicate openly with one another? I would be more concerned about an unwanted pregnancy than anything else.
Thank you, Cowbird, for that very enlightening post. Best one so far. One with grounded reality and not liberal hysteria. As to whether she is sexual active (I'd really rather not even contemplate that possibility) but yes, I and her mother have spoken to her about it. She's a responsible young woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting