Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what if black parents told there son to only date black girls ?

I doubt many would say this is racist
Actually most would. Racism is a negative human trait.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:01 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what if black parents told there son to only date black girls ?

I doubt many would say this is racist
I am black and I know racist black people who hate I date white guys.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
She was black as the night
Louie was whiter than white
Danger, danger when you taste brown sugar
Louie fell in love overnight

Nothing bad, it was good
Louie had the best girl he could
When he took her home
To meet his mama and papa
Louie knew just where he stood

Louie Louie Louie, Louie
Louie Louie Lou-I
Louie Louie Louie
Louie Louie you're gonna cry

[Instrumental Interlude]

There he stood in the night
Knowing what's wrong from what's right
He took her home to meet his mama and papa
Man, he had a terrible fright

Louie nearly caused a scene
Wishin' it was a dream
Ain't no diff'rence if you're black or white
Brothers, you know what I mean

Louie Louie Louie, Louie
Louie Louie Lou-I
Louie Louie Louie

[Instrumental Interlude]

Louie Louie Louie, Louie
Louie Louie Lou-I
Louie Louie Louie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJxZL9L6YWc

Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
My daughter is a wonderful, intelligent and beautiful person who makes good choices.
Then she made a good choice for a boyfriend! Yay!!

Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM

66 posts, read 130,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then she made a good choice for a boyfriend! Yay!!
No one is perfect. We all know that.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
another great song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBP7QMuHHs

Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
Not necessarily-you are definitely prejudiced,but everyone is,if they say they're not,they are lying..at least you are being honest..I am a child from a multicultural relationship and I think there is reason to be concerned. People with no experience in these types of situations may look from the outside in and say"whats wrong with biracial dating?" well-nothing,but there are HUGE cultural differences that need to be addressed and I have grown up seeing an incredibly difficult marriage unfold,my parents really didn't discuss a lot of things before they got married and they had opposite views on very important issues. One might think that white and black people don't have cultural differences because they are from the same country-but there will be differences as your daughter will learn. It's more complicated than people want to admit,but that has nothing to do with skin color. The fact is,if you allow her to date,you can't tell her who she can and can't date. If anything,you should be concerned about whether she is sexually active,have you talked to her about birth control? Does she know the consequences of sexual intercourse and making sure he's been tested for STDs if they decide to go that route? Do you both communicate openly with one another? I would be more concerned about an unwanted pregnancy than anything else.
You are niave if you think there can't be cultural differences in people that have the same exact skin tone and proper sex education and precautions matterms for all teenagers no matter their skin color or the color of their interest.

To say the things the op has...without knowing the young man in question is not concern for a teenage daughter...it's racism plain and simple.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
No one is perfect. We all know that.
So she's just this wonderful angel who is practically perfect in every way but!!.........she made a bad choice and goodness it just happens to concern the color of her boyfriend.

Whatever.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17. They go to the same school. Now I know in this PC- orientated world, people will immediately claim I'm a racist. Personally, I don't think I am. Racism has somewhat lost its meaning due to the rise of liberalism... it used to mean someone who believes in racial superiority and discriminates against people of a different race. I do neither. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of her being with the guys she's with. Call me old school if you like. And before people shout "racist" down my throat - Arab Muslims only want their children to date/marry other Arab Muslims. Is that racist?
I am not a Liberal, but even I do not agree with your perception that "Racism"/"Racist" has lost its meaning.

As it is, I don't know how you can argue that you are not a Racist when racism does mean having racial prejudice. You've yet to speak anything of this boy, other than the fact that he's black. You've brought out the stats which you use to base your prejudice on, but you don't even say if the boy is just as guilty as those stats prove (well, other than the skin color). You've mention your daughter, that she's a good girl, capable and smart... You don't trust her judgment? She's 17 now, nearly an adult.

I get that you're not comfortable, obviously this is something very different than you're used to. But don't hold fast to your prejudice and don't hold it over your daughter. Head over to the Nonpersonal relationship forum and read up on the Boer girl who just recently updated her situation which is an even extreme version of yours. Do you want to be that father?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:22 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
OP, you are racist. It doesn't matter if your neighbor and my neighbor are both racists, it isn't a popular thing to be. I would be very careful in expressing this to your daughter since she will more likely than not rebel if you put up barriers based on race. She may be under your roof now but the day will come when she isn't.

You seem to think that presenting other scenarios will make you not racist. Ah, that isn't going to work since you have proclaimed yourself that already. You don't want give someone a chance because of the color of their skin, what the heck do you call that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting