Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM

66 posts, read 129,874 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17. They go to the same school. Now I know in this PC- orientated world, people will immediately claim I'm a racist. Personally, I don't think I am. Racism has somewhat lost its meaning due to the rise of liberalism... it used to mean someone who believes in racial superiority and discriminates against people of a different race. I do neither. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of her being with the guys she's with. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-27-2015 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Are you asking me if any ENTIRE group of people are racist? That's ridiculous, of course not. Are there racists among them? Likely yes.
You defined me as a racist because I don't want my daughter dating a black guy. 9/10 Arab parents would agree with me - most likely not just with blacks, but whites, Asians, Hispanics; any man or woman who wasn't an Arab Muslim. So I ask again . . . do you think Arab Muslims are racist?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
If old fashion means racist...yeah you are old fashioned.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
You defined me as a racist because I don't want my daughter dating a black guy. 9/10 Arab parents would agree with me - most likely not just with blacks, but whites, Asians, Hispanics; any man or woman who wasn't an Arab Muslim. So I ask again . . . do you think Arab Muslims are racist?
We are talking about you here...don't make it about other groups of people

Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Is the issue the color of his skin or his culture? Are both kids from the same area with similar backgrounds? I've found most people aren't as hung up on color as they are income class and religion. It's not our job to judge you ,and you are not alone but this forum will not be gentle at all about disagreeing with you. Be prepared.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
We are talking about you here...don't make it about other groups of people
Why not? It seems to me that white people are the only race not allowed to white their offspring to be with other whites. Among every other racial group, this is perfectly acceptable. A black man of African origins told me that when he and his family emigrated to the USA from Kenya in the 80s, his father told him to only date black women, preferably of African origin. Yet people wouldn't think that, from a black man's lips, was as offensive as it would be from a white man's lips.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Ooh. Popcorn time.

***IN before the thread gets locked***

Oh, and yes you are a racist.

**grabs butter**

Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you if an Arab Muslim wanted to marry an African-American Muslim, the Arab parents would still object.
In this particular example then yes, of course, your "Arab Muslim" family would be racist. That does not justify your behavior. You're daughter sounds like a wonderful, open minded girl.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17. They go to the same school. Now I know in this PC- orientated world, people will immediately claim I'm a racist. Personally, I don't think I am. Racism has somewhat lost its meaning due to the rise of liberalism... it used to mean someone who believes in racial superiority and discriminates against people of a different race. I do neither. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of her being with the guys she's with. Call me old school if you like. And before people shout "racist" down my throat - Arab Muslims only want their children to date/marry other Arab Muslims. Is that racist?
Yes you are. And yes...anyone else that can't get past a person's skin color or religion is as well. It's not 'old school' it's being racist. The is nothing 'pc' about calling you what you proudly say ypu are.

Go back to watching The Vikings and saying how handsome Germans are. (Very telling comments.)

How odd that you are disappointed thst your daughter seems more willing to look at a person's charecter and not just how much melain one has or doesn't have.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I don't think it necessarily makes you a racist. There are different cultural issues and some things like possibly raising children are harder when you are a mixed race couple. I think you would be a concerned, but not racist parent if that is the focus of your objections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting