Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Maybe the kids think the parents have a hoarding issue? That'd what makes sense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
My kids are in their 40's....anything they didn't want they left here...they don't
care what I do with stuff left behind...if I wasn't here I'm sure they would donate
the items rather than throw them away.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Maybe the kids think the parents have a hoarding issue? That'd what makes sense here.
Very possible. I guess if I was helping my parents downsize, my old toys might be the first things to go.

OP, I'm sorry you are upset, but I don't think it is something to be "beside yourself" over. Upsetting, sure, but just not a huge deal in the big scheme of things. If you need toys for babysitting, you can find some at a thrift store or garage sale. We have some local facebook pages where I bet you could even get old toys for free, if you asked. I know it isn't the same as your kids' own toys, but if your grand kids weren't using them, then what's really the point?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It isn't hoarding when you have the room to store things that you intend to use later.

I think this was just an unfortunate miscommunication. Germaine had far more important things on her mind to worry about and her son wasn't aware she would have liked to hold onto the toys.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 PM

649 posts, read 570,591 times
Since you were storing them and your children have not used them in many years then I believe you have the right to decide what happens to the toys. Why does your son care about them anyway?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 PM

634 posts, read 709,114 times
I am assuming that your children's job was to just help move stuff into the new apt. and NOT sort through stuff. If this is the case, they overstepped. But more importantly, I think it's weird that he hasn't shown any regret once you told him how you felt. Also, I don't understand why he wouldn't think, "hm, Mom brings these toys out when I visit" or "cool, I bet my kids would love these toys".

Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Perhaps. I should mention that my "grandkids" are not at the dinosaur, Ninga turtle, Lego. stage yet. My grandson just turned 2 and a granddaughter will be born in January. Our other child is not even married. So they haven't even been able to "use" grandma & grandpa's toy box yet.

I guess that I was just so so shocked that these toys that I washed and stored in a small cabinet that I used as a toy chest would just get thrown in the garbage. We aren't talking about hundreds of dirty, broken toys just dumped into boxes but the best ones of his most favorite toys from childhood stored in a toy chest.

The funny thing is that he has his very very favorite toys in sort of a shrine back at his apartment. A toy from each of his grandparents and a toy from each of his great aunts toy boxes plus a favorite toy from home. I pointed out to him that if he threw out the things in my toy box not only would his children not have anything to play with but their cousins and other visiting children wouldn't either.

It was really odd. I did not care that he threw out all of his trophies or high school plaques and awards (even though I suspect that he will regret that someday). But I guess that after leaving those toys in my house for the last 14 years they "became" more my toys than his toys especially since I used them on a regular basis in. tutoring & babysitting.

His father just got home after being in the hospital and rehab for ten weeks after a very serious injury.I wonder if perhaps there was some guilt involved "I did not help Mom and sister for all those months so now I'm going to get the condo ready to sell during the week that I am home" or something like that.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-23-2015 at 04:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:03 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
germaine, I'm sorry you have had your world turned upside-down with your husband's medical issues. Somehow, I think that your son's insensitivity is magnified by tossing the toys. They were remnants of a time when all seemed right with your life and now they're gone.

Let go of the hurt you're feeling now. Get some Legos and a few story books for your grandkids and make some new memories exclusive to them.

Since your son, the father of your grandchildren, lives 2,000 miles away, it isn't as though the wee ones will be visiting frequently, right?

Focus on the changes and adaptations you'll be making in your own life and I wish you peace.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
You son was way out-of-line. I'm not sure why some are making excuses for him. He's a jerk.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Some good friends of mine who are grandparent age just went to the thrift stores and got some great toys for their grandkids to play with. They got a full shoe box of match box cars for $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting