Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:04 PM

318 posts, read 372,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, our little disagreement ended up being a blessing in disguise. Since he only had one week to assist in downsizing our home of 30 years he openly admitted that he started out being extremely over-zealous in what he threw out. He said that after our discussion he slowed down and was more thoughtful in his actions. While some things were tossed, there were many useful things that went to Goodwill, taken by friends and relatives to be used by them or donated to several other places. The Salvation Army will also be bringing a truck to pick up several large items and many boxes of useful items.

It was very difficult to do as the last few days I was in my new place, caring for my husband, while my son and others were sorting, packing and moving at our old place. Numerous times each day he would call me with a list of things or email me photographs of objects and ask, "toss, in new apartment, storage area or donate?" He would also bring boxes that he packed from the old place for our new place.
Wonderful news. You have great kids who love their parents, I'm glad to hear his heart was in helping mom and dad. I hope things continue to progress smoothly and you get to simply enjoy your new place soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 03:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I volunteer at a thrift store every week. We don't turn down any donations, ever. We may end up tossing it (mattresses, broken electronics, etc don't make it into the store), but it isn't turned away. We have regulars who come in hunting specifically for older items.
I want to go to that thrift store. I took goodwill a great rocker with a foot rest. The foot rest needed a screw up in it. They refused to take them! I never found a place that took mattresses. I had a like new one I wanted to donate (my bed had springs sticking out of it when I was a kid, I was sure someone could use a like new mattress). No place took them. They all have long lists of stuff they don't take.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I never found a place that took mattresses. I had a like new one I wanted to donate .
Yep... no one will take them because of issues with bed bugs and bodily fluids.
It is a good thing, really.

Some places will not take quilted bedspreads for the same reason.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
I want to go to that thrift store. I took goodwill a great rocker with a foot rest. The foot rest needed a screw up in it. They refused to take them! I never found a place that took mattresses. I had a like new one I wanted to donate (my bed had springs sticking out of it when I was a kid, I was sure someone could use a like new mattress). No place took them. They all have long lists of stuff they don't take.
I think the reason our thrift store is always packed with donations is because we don't turn away anything. But, we do fill two-three dumpsters a day with rejects that aren't suitable for selling. Fortunately, the treasures outnumber the trash.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep... no one will take them because of issues with bed bugs and bodily fluids.
It is a good thing, really.

Some places will not take quilted bedspreads for the same reason.
Well I hope there are charitable orgs that give new ones. I literally slept on a bare mattress with several springs poking through. I have scars from them.

But, yeah, I wouldn't want a used mattress! The one I had had been in a cover and was a guest bed and had only been used a couple times before we turned the room into a nursery.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:14 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
I went to donate toys to the good will from 1999-2005. And they refused to take them. They looked and asked me how old they were. I said "about 15 years". They were pristine and never really used. Goodwill guy told me they were too old and could have recalls they don't know about.

Old toys are potentially collectibles. Not sutiable for even resale at goodwill.
Goodwill is notoriously a joke, especially since the early 90s. They also have inflated prices and pocket the majority of their profit.

I would recommend other charitable services or a speciality used children's goods store.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Goodwill is notoriously a joke, especially since the early 90s. They also have inflated prices and pocket the majority of their profit.

I would recommend other charitable services or a speciality used children's goods store.
Yeah I know. It was the only place by my old house. I have a Salvation Army near my new house. I don't fully agree with their mission, but at least some of the money goes to help actual people, not line their ceo's pockets.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:24 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Additionally, there's also Freecycle, if you're so inclined in the future.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Additionally, there's also Freecycle, if you're so inclined in the future.
People always say that, but not all areas have that.
There are none within 20 miles of me.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
People always say that, but not all areas have that.
There are none within 20 miles of me.
Not to go too far off topic but it also kind of sucks. People will not show up or come at odd times. Or not take everything they agreed to. One guy came and loaded up the thing I was free cycling and also chairs I had on my front porch. I stopped him and he said he wasn't sure. He collects from free cycle for a living so he just took the addresses and stopped and picked up everything left in the agreed upon spot.

And no one ever says thank you. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting