Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would not let my daughter do any of that stuff until she is married.
What are your plans to enforce that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Cjb,
You are right. It is your home.
Tell her she has to follow the house rules, or she can get her own place.
Let her get a job, let her see how working 2 jobs is really like, and see if he is worth it.
He might cheat on her because she won't be around that much with all the jobs she will have.
I know how you feel, but that is your only choice, or you could insist they get married asap.
Actually say that to him.
Tell him you expect him to marry her shortly if he is staying with her in your home.
He will not be back any time soon.
I'll bet you.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The OP's daughter is not a teen.
But my step-daughter, that I posted about is a teenager.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It was the very last line that got me..."What happened to my little girl?" It seems like she doesn't understand age appropriate behavior. I'm not saying the op should allow them to have sex in the house, or anything, but it seems like they should be able to watch TV alone in a room with the door open. I wonder what the BF's living situation is. If he does not live with his parents, then of course they're going to hang out at his place.

I wasn't allowed to have boys in my room either, but my BF's always had their own place (with room mates or whatever), so we hung out there, and my parents didn't give me grief about sleeping over there, either, because if I'd gone away to school, they'd have zero control.
I really didn't take it that way. Maybe your kids are young enough you don't ever think like that. But I have had those thoughts, too. I don't think the OP meant she wanted to treat her daughter like a child. I think she misses the closeness. I think all of us moms can remember our own mother-daughter relationship, and how it changes as we get older. She misses that.

She did say she gave them some space to watch TV alone, then found them lying on the bed together under some blankets. They do have to realize in a house with other people around including an 11 year old who might pop in on them at any time, they need to be judicious.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Cjb,
You are right. It is your home.
Tell her she has to follow the house rules, or she can get her own place.
Let her get a job, let her see how working 2 jobs is really like, and see if he is worth it.
He might cheat on her because she won't be around that much with all the jobs she will have.
I know how you feel, but that is your only choice, or you could insist they get married asap.
Actually say that to him.
Tell him you expect him to marry her shortly if he is staying with her in your home.
He will not be back any time soon.
I'll bet you.
Lol at this post...

Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Few here seem to care that there is also an 11 year old in the house, who doesnt need to be exposed to this activity.

If the 20 year old is mature enough to have sex, she's mature enough to get a motel room a few nights a week. If she doesnt have enough respect for her parents not to have sex in their house, she can't expect them to have respect for her.

If that were my daughter there would be no way in hell Id allow that.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Few here seem to care that there is also an 11 year old in the house, who doesnt need to be exposed to this activity.

If the 20 year old is mature enough to have sex, she's mature enough to get a motel room a few nights a week. If she doesnt have enough respect for her parents not to have sex in their house, she can't expect them to have respect for her.

If that were my daughter there would be no way in hell Id allow that.
And at $150 a night for a hotel, (have not seen a motel in YEARS...) it would be cheaper for the 20 year old to get her own place.

Adult children at home need to be thought of as "roommates". Individual people that are capable of making their own decision, without being controlled. You certainly would not tell a roommate they can't have sex with their boyfriend.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 AM

196 posts, read 159,142 times
Adult children who live in their parents' house have no 'rights' other than the basic rule of law. When someone else is paying the bills, there's ALWAYS going to be stipulations.

The only way to get around the difficulties encountered in a situation where the adult children are living at home, is for the young fledglings to get their own house. There is NO other way. They cannot expect to enjoy all the benefits of being an adult while someone else is picking up the tab! That it is expensive to move out is just a cop out, and certainly no excuse to attempt to pretend to be a fully grown adult while still living with mom and dad....

Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
And at $150 a night for a hotel, (have not seen a motel in YEARS...) it would be cheaper for the 20 year old to get her own place.

Adult children at home need to be thought of as "roommates". Individual people that are capable of making their own decision, without being controlled. You certainly would not tell a roommate they can't have sex with their boyfriend.
Wrong. If you are still living at home past the age of an adult you have two options. Move out and live however you want or follow the rules of the house.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Why roommates and not tenants? Many leases DO provide stipulations on guests. Just sayin'.

ETA: Or maybe a better analogy is that the 20-year-old is the au-pair of the 11-year-old. Tricky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting