Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 05:03 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times

Advertisements

Your house and your rules. As my dad always said "You pay the bills, your rules."

It doesn't matter what anyone else does, and sadly following that path never leads to a good place.

Sounds like emotional blackmail with the moving out. Spending so much time with this male probably wasn't making getting school work done very easy, so she may be struggling especially if he is not a college student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
The poster probably meant "In my home", in which case it is very easy to enforce if they don't want the child to do these things in the parental household: Serve your adult child with an eviction notice, then pile their stuff on the front lawn in accordance with local law.

Obviously, the poster can't prevent the adult child from doing these things before marriage...except in THEIR HOUSE. If the adult child has the mindset that, now that they are 18+, they can do whatever they like, they are perfectly welcome do so, anywhere but mom and dad's house.

Parents can kick their adult children to the curb for any or no reason, there is no obligation for justification to be explained.

As for the daughter being thrown out then proceeding to drop out of college, work a minimum wage job, or have unintended children, all of these things would be the daughter's responsibility. Adults don't use mom and dad as a scapegoat for their own personal mistakes.
Good parents don't force their young adult child to throw away their future just because of WHERE they are having sex. That is bad parenting. What is the difference if they have sex in his apartment or the parents house?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Come on, Kibbie ... you know they aren't JUST napping or watching TV.

Don't you remember being that age?
I do. And I NEVER had sex in my parents house while they were home. Too afraid of being caught or heard. Embarrassing. Also, my BF's always had their own places. After HS, we didn't hang out at my parent's house much.

Do you really think they had sex on the couch in the family room under that blanket before the nap? Why wouldn't the OP have said so, if that's what she thought?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I do. And I NEVER had sex in my parents house while they were home. Too afraid of being caught or heard. Embarrassing. Also, my BF's always had their own places. After HS, we didn't hang out at my parent's house much.

Do you really think they had sex on the couch in the family room under that blanket before the nap? Why wouldn't the OP have said so, if that's what she thought?
No, I don't think they did, but I feel certain SOMEthing was happening under that blanket.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Now they are tired of playing the "napping on the couch" game, so they are just cutting to the chase at the BF's house.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't understand. Your step daughter needs counseling for what? For being gay? For having sex? I could not figure out by your post what her issue is. Maybe I missed your reasoning somewhere.
She has been seeing the therapist as part of family therapy. I don't think she needs therapy for the other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. I think I would have gone to the therapist without them. And truthfully, the kids probably don't need therapy...your husband does. It's not their fault he's a rug for them to walk on. They are only behaving the way they are allowed to.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I think there are two conversations going on. Photobuff inserted herself into this thread instead of starting a new one. She is the one talking about her teen stepdaughter and confusing the issue.
Sorry. Didn't mean to mis-step.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM

196 posts, read 159,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Good parents don't force their young adult child to throw away their future just because of WHERE they are having sex. That is bad parenting. What is the difference if they have sex in his apartment or the parents house?
If they are fully fledged adults, their future is their responsibility. Mature adults don't blame their parents for "ruining their future" by not letting them have sex parties in the house when they are in college.

Kids who truly want to be successful won't let being locked out of the parental household "ruin their future". At age 20-21 your responsibility for their future is a horse that has long since bolted from the stable.

As far as I am concerned, if adult kids want to profess their adulthood and ability to do anything once they are of legal age without any consequences, they will get the whole package. They must move out, pay their rent, pay their water bill, pay the gas bill, pay the food bill, pay car insurance, pay all of their taxes, pay their car payment, pay for any medical bills, and so on and so forth. Yes, being an adult is more than just partying, drinking, and having sex, doesn't living at home sound much better?

Last edited by Whereitwent; 03-02-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
If they are fully fledged adults, their future is their responsibility. Mature adults don't blame their parents for "ruining their future" by not letting them have sex parties in the house when they are in college.

Kids who truly want to be successful won't let being locked out of the parental household "ruin their future". At age 20-21 your responsibility for their future is a horse that has long since bolted from the stable.

As far as I am concerned, if adult kids want to profess their adulthood and ability to do anything once they are of legal age without any consequences, they will get the whole package. They must move out, pay their rent, pay their water bill, pay the gas bill, pay the food bill, pay car insurance, pay all of their taxes, pay their car payment, pay for any medical bills, and so on and so forth. Yes, being an adult is more than just partying, drinking, and having sex, doesn't living at home sound much better?
Who said anything about the daughter having sex parties?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 PM

196 posts, read 159,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Who said anything about the daughter having sex parties?
Sex, sex parties...Splitting hairs is a really poor form of argument and shows lack of a good rebuttal.

If you want your adult children to live in and run your household with no restrictions well into their thirties, it's fine by me. I would never subscribe to that drivel, not for a nanosecond...

Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Should be" but isn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She has aged, but she hasn't "grown up."

Most college kids I know, while they COULD be taking care of themselves, do not live independently and still consider themselves part of their parents' household, since that is where they go on breaks. This girl apparently is a commuter student, which blurs the boundaries even more.

To be fair, Mom hasn't "grown up" either, and she obviously still pictures her daughter as a child and not an adult. That certainly isn't helping the situation.
Yes this is absolutely correct. I was a commuter student in college myself. I offered to financially contribute (since I was always working while enrolled full time in school) but was told to save my money. I was still bound by the house rules which, while fairly relaxed, did not include allowing my bf into my bedroom with the door closed.

We honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time at either parents' houses (he also lived with his parents at the time) and instead just went out and hung out with other friends, parks, libraries, museums, out to eat, movies, stuff like that.

Interestingly my friends who did go away to college and lived on campus (or off campus housing) would constantly talk about how it was great to be independent and didn't I wish I was too. Guess who was paying for them to live there??

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM

1,009 posts, read 709,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's called respect something that is lacking today .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting