Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I don't see where she is fully committed to this relationship.

When the daughter stated this: She says she's thinking about quitting school and getting another job so she can move out. She throwing away her future!

That is a child throwing a tantrum to try and get her way. Not buying it. Time to grow up.
Don't tell people to move out and support themselves if they want to set their own rules and then call it throwing a tempter tantrum when they do.
It doesn't work like that.
If she wants to work so she can move out her parents house that's an adult decision.
No ones just going to want their entire life dictated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am one of those. Nobody is saying the kid is not an adult, and free to do whatever she wants. The issue is that her sleeping with her low life boyfriend under her parent's roof is upsetting to them. It is their house, and she should respect their wishes.
Okay?
So the OPs daughter began sleeping at the guys house since hanging out with him was such an issue at home.
The OP got what she wanted so she can't complain. If the daughter is going to the boyfriends it's no longer happening under the OPs roof.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I would have stayed home and finished school had I not been a 21 year old who had to lie about where I was spending the night.
Txt, you're grown up enough to be honest. You had many, many opportunities to finish school - or heck even seriously start school. The issues you had with your mother (or frankly ANY authority figure) were but just one of a slew of excuses to avoid accountability.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Txt, you're grown up enough to be honest. You had many, many opportunities to finish school - or heck even seriously start school. The issues you had with your mother (or frankly ANY authority figure) were but just one of a slew of excuses to avoid accountability.
It's called playing the blame game. Some people never see themselves as the problem. Some people also NEVER grow out of needing to have things their way.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Don't tell people to move out and support themselves if they want to set their own rules and then call it throwing a tempter tantrum when they do.
It doesn't work like that.
If she wants to work so she can move out her parents house that's an adult decision.
No ones just going to want their entire life dictated.
I agree. That's why you move out so you can pick and choose how you want to live your life. It's called growing up.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I agree. That's why you move out so you can pick and choose how you want to live your life. It's called growing up.
Except some post back it was called a temper tantrum to do so.

I snuck around till I could move out and I did move at the first opportunity.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
I'm confused by a few things in this thread. First of all, what is the correlation between sex and respect? Why is having sex in one's parents' home disrespectful? Sex is a normal, necessary, healthy biological function. Why would I not want my child doing it?

I also don't understand what paying rent has to do with anything. Why do parents feel that they must exert so much control over their children? Let your children exhibit normal human behavior without scrutiny. And there's really no need to speculate about whether the relationship will last, whether the man is the right one for her, whatever else...she's dating a guy, and when people date, they have sex. That's what differentiates a romantic relationship from a platonic one. It's healthy, and I would always encourage my children to have healthy relationships.

If my 11-year-old saw her sister cuddling with her boyfriend on the couch, I'd be happy that the younger child was seeing a model of an affectionate relationship. Physical affection, both romantic and sexual, is very important to most people in a relationship, and I want my kids to feel cared for and loved.

The obsession with making "house rules" is all about control, and it's completely unnecessary. I think OP needs to examine why she feels so uncomfortable with sex, and she needs to work through those issues on her own without imposing them on her daughter.
i'd feel a little awkward having sex within earshot of my parents. it wouldnt be a fun experience for me.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think the solution would be for the adults to rent a hotel room whenever they want some privacy.

edit:
this is confusing; if the boyfriend got his own place then why are they choosing to go out of their way to be intimate in front of the family ?
assuming op is real, this answers my question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
When you Google this topic, there is such a range of opinions, from those who would never dream of doing it in their parents' house to those who are turned on by the "naughty" factor.
i'll rep you when i can.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 03-06-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'd feel a little awkward having sex within earshot of my parents. it wouldnt be a fun experience for me.

edit:

assuming op is real, this answers my question:i'll rep you when i can.
Me neither. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all having sex with my parents in the same house. So, even if there was a rule about me not having sex while I live in their house, I'd gladly follow it, lol.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Me neither. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all having sex with my parents in the same house. So, even if there was a rule about me not having sex while I live in their house, I'd gladly follow it, lol.
Why would they even know?
Lock the door and bite a pillow if you have to.

I once had to stay out in Denver for like a month while dealing with a family emergency years ago and my boyfriend and I shared and room and everything. We had no idea how long we'd be there.

What are you supposed to do in that situation? Abstain for a whole month?
I rather shove my own foot up my ass.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Why would they even know?
Lock the door and bite a pillow if you have to.

I once had to stay out in Denver for like a month while dealing with a family emergency years ago and my boyfriend and I shared and room and everything. We had no idea how long we'd be there.

What are you supposed to do in that situation? Abstain for a whole month?
I rather shove my own foot up my ass.
I am laughing so hard, I am just dying! Oh the WOE! Holy entitled much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting