Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 AM

12 posts, read 7,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So the iPhone battery was dead. Removed. Hard to believe this gal magically got a new one installed.
My concern is that par the course....a parent Snopes and invades the teens personal space .
Short of the teen inflicting self harm...dealing drugs...harboring guns or making bombs. I tend to cringe at a parent crossing the privacy line. So if there is a lesson to be learned let it be that you emulate respect and it will be returned. Emulate deceptiveness and sure enough that too will be returned . Where do you think she learned that from?

Double standards are not a healthy tool .
You must be 16. The thought process of a teenagers room being completely off limits to the parents is absolutely mind boggling.

You find it disrespectful that I search my daughter room ? That exhibits deceptiveness ?

What is disrespectful and deceptive is her hiding in her walk in closet, in the dark, with the all the lights off. We were looking for her for 10 minutes because dinner was ready . opened her bedroom door, lights off not there ? Went upstairs checked every room in the house, not there ..

Went in her room again, called her name, out she came from the closet.. What are you doing in the closet ? Oh just folding clothes ....

BS ! she was either smoking crack in the closet, or hiding a secret cell phone ... is what I thought in my head... soon as she went in the shower, I went into her room, moved her bed 6 inches, and between the bed and wall was the cell phone, and charger ... THANKS !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really??? Let her have the OLD phone. Sell the new one. Let her save up her money and buy a new one if she wants one.
After reading this response, I took the new phone away, let her keep the old phone... Maybe I just felt guilty taking both phones ?

She can have the new phone back once she builds trust again ..

Old 02-23-2020, 07:04 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsExplorer View Post
After reading this response, I took the new phone away, let her keep the old phone... Maybe I just felt guilty taking both phones ?

She can have the new phone back once she builds trust again ..
Good job.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
How would parents of C-D treat this if it was discovered that the teen is paying for this line with her own money?

To be candid, this is exactly the kind of behavior that drove me to WANT independence. No more "who pays for _____?" rhetoric. I went straight from HS to working full time so I could afford the things that I was provided, so I could control them, and answer to no one. Not long after, this came to include my own housing. To me, it was just a part of growing up.
Even if she was paying for it, parents have a right to discipline their children. If she is not living by the rules of the house, they have every right to take a phone away from her even if she is paying for it.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:57 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Even if she was paying for it, parents have a right to discipline their children. If she is not living by the rules of the house, they have every right to take a phone away from her even if she is paying for it.
I was in the home of a rather successful family yrs ago, the son who was 12 came home and said a teacher had words with him about some minor issue.
His mother asked " do you mind if I call the teacher"

What impressed me was the respect she showed to her son.

That has always stuck with me.
Some parents just don't get it.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I was in the home of a rather successful family yrs ago, the son who was 12 came home and said a teacher had words with him about some minor issue.
His mother asked " do you mind if I call the teacher"

What impressed me was the respect she showed to her son.

That has always stuck with me.
Some parents just don't get it.
I always learned respect is earned. Maybe that child deserve to be treated in a more adult like fashion. But a child who’s been in trouble, or shows a tendency to be deceptive or lie, maybe they’ve given up that right. I was a horrible teenager, and I lied and hid things from my mother constantly. I’d have been much better off if she would’ve come down harder on me. I certainly didn’t deserve to be treated as a responsible, contributing member of the household.

In any case, doesn’t change my opinion. Parents have a right to discipline their children under their own roof. I grew up in a home with very little discipline, and it did not serve me well.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So the iPhone battery was dead. Removed. Hard to believe this gal magically got a new one installed.
While you can replace a phone's battery, that's typical not how most people deal with a dead battery. She charged the phone's dead battery by charging it with a phone charger that was plugged into the wall.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. OP. Your daughter is in school full time, and also is working.

But she fails apparently to do her "chores" at home.

What punishment do you experience, yourself, after working full time, if you don't get your own household "chores" done, after working basically full time, basically the same schedule your daughter has?

Once, or sometimes twice a month, as you describe this, you don't do your "chores", what punishment do you put yourself through? Do you put your cell phone in the garbage?

THIS!!! You seem to expect an extraordinary amount from a 16 year old girl.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
THIS!!! You seem to expect an extraordinary amount from a 16 year old girl.
I will post her extraordinary chore list again, since you missed it the 1st time.

Here is her chore list;

Feed the cat once a day. ( we do it once ourselves)

Put the dirty dishes from the sink into the dishwasher ( this is only when the dishwasher is is clean, otherwise everyone does this themselves)

empty dishwasher when its clean - usually every other day.

Clean the bathroom once a week on the day she chooses ...

THATS IT !

Also, I don't even ask her to clean her room. ever. sometimes its dirty, sometimes its clean ... her choice.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
iPhone battery is installed in a process that requires the screen to be removed in order to "remove" it. A parent would likely not remove the battery from an iPhone, but rather remove the iPhone from the child's hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting