Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 08:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think you're saying that nothing the boys mother does would force the prosecution to include jail time. Well, again.. If you're just going to ignore the evidence I've given that shows that public opinion, which the mother is certainly trying to sway, can influence whether jail time is given, or whether a plea deal is accepted by the judge.. No point further arguing that. We'll see how it turns out.

Also.. The boy in this case.. I'll have to search around for it.. But.. at least what I've seen.. This really seemed a pretty clear case where she kept after him. I mean, to the point where this almost felt more like a full on rape case than statutory rape. Not a situation where the kid took what he could get and the parents found text messages or something. There was a line somewhere about him being very upset when he was with her I seem to recall.

What I'd like to know.. What's the difference between this case.. And THIS case? https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/0...-with-student/

Why the discrepancy here? One gets 18 to life, other gets probation? And they were both adult female and underage male.
From what I have read the prosecution has already made the plea deal and now the case goes before a Judge in May to determine the terms of the probation. Could she sway the judge to reject the plea deal, sure, not the prosecution.

Who knows the difference with the limited information in the article. Underlying circumstances may be different, plea deal may be different or non existent, different judge, etc. Why did Brock Turner and others get only 6 months jail time or probation for rape while others get years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 09:15 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
From what I have read the prosecution has already made the plea deal and now the case goes before a Judge in May to determine the terms of the probation. Could she sway the judge to reject the plea deal, sure, not the prosecution.

Who knows the difference with the limited information in the article. Underlying circumstances may be different, plea deal may be different or non existent, different judge, etc. Why did Brock Turner and others get only 6 months jail time or probation for rape while others get years.
Maybe the differences between the 2 cases is...Enriquez was a teacher. Serano was a lunch lady.

A student would have a harder time avoiding the influence of a teacher, than a lunch lady.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe the differences between the 2 cases is...Enriquez was a teacher. Serano was a lunch lady.

A student would have a harder time avoiding the influence of a teacher, than a lunch lady.
Could be, an authority figure would definitely have a greater burden of responsibility. I assume there is a variety of circumstances the judge takes into account. Honestly the courts are not fair and sometimes judgement is just the present whim of the judge.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:08 AM

Something else that's half formulated in my mind, and MIGHT have an influence on this...

I notice that Serrano looks Latino. I also notice in the other link regarding the teacher who had sex with the teen boy...SHE has a hispanic sounding name.

I notice that in SOME hispanic cultures, it's not unusual for very very young (13, 14 yrs old) hispanic girls to be in relationships with significantly older guys...and their families don't think anything odd about it at all. The families don't disaprove, and it's just part of their culture. I'm not saying right or wrong, or even every Hispanic community is like that. I just know it is with some people.

I wonder if THAT aspect has some influence on these situations.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:03 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Double standard, for sure, but is it better for the baby to not have to be separated from the mother, if mother had been sentenced to prison?
She's a pedophile. She should be separated from that innocent little baby.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
She's a pedophile. She should be separated from that innocent little baby.
Do you think she will sexually molest her child?

Old 03-15-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Something else that's half formulated in my mind, and MIGHT have an influence on this...

I notice that Serrano looks Latino. I also notice in the other link regarding the teacher who had sex with the teen boy...SHE has a hispanic sounding name.

I notice that in SOME hispanic cultures, it's not unusual for very very young (13, 14 yrs old) hispanic girls to be in relationships with significantly older guys...and their families don't think anything odd about it at all. The families don't disaprove, and it's just part of their culture. I'm not saying right or wrong, or even every Hispanic community is like that. I just know it is with some people.

I wonder if THAT aspect has some influence on these situations.
I would hope that had no influence on the plea deal or the judges decision. Obviously the boys parents arent ok with it regardless of cultural attitudes.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I would hope that had no influence on the plea deal or the judges decision. Obviously the boys parents arent ok with it regardless of cultural attitudes.
True true.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:18 AM

402 posts, read 276,711 times
Quote:
Do you think all people convicted of crimes should have their children taken from them?
She was convicted of having sex with a minor. This dosent necessarily men she is a child predator as in she will continue to do this. There have been cases where rapists have been granted shared custody of their child born of rape.

Someone mentioned Mary Kay Letourneau. After serving her time they married and had a second child together.

Child brides have not be uncommon in our history. I'm not supporting it, just pointing it out.
I am going to pretend I did not read this post

Old 03-20-2023, 09:26 AM

402 posts, read 276,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a feeling the son didn't want her locked up.

Right a teenage boy who was probably getting a lot of high fives for bagging an older woman who was a teacher. Others will only fantasize about bagging a teacher

I find it odd that the boys mother wants full custody.

I was dating a 21 year old college guy when I was 13 or 14.

Things were different back then. Older men used to marry teenage girls 50+ years ago. I don't doubt that pretty many people have grandparents where the grandmother was a teen or young teen, the grandfather was legally an adult.
But she wasn't a teacher and a 13 year old's brain is obviously NOT developed like an adults nor is he able to comprehend that he was NOT giving his actual consent "bagging" an older lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting