Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

Agree completely---saw a child asked how it made him FEEL when hit by his mother---he said

"it hurts me in my heart"

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
To the original thread.
Sure, it teaches the same thing it would teach you if your boss hit you when you did something wrong. You would learn to fear him and become incredibly nervous, quiet and more prone to mistakes. The only difference is that you would probably leave that job and the child doesn't usually have that option. Relying on spanking only puts you at a defensive disadvantage. Your child will most definitely not grow up to be a leader and you will just be sad with the results. Other options out there, spanking is a religious ideal anyway. Spoiling your child is done by material things not by limiting a whipping.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,388 times
This arguement will never get settled. People against spanking just can't accept that it is a form of discipline, just like time-outs, taking away toys, or banning them from watching t.v. You can show us a million studies on how spanking is a detriment to kids, but there are plenty of people on this thread who can show they turned out just fine when they were spanked. I was spanked as a child, and i don't have anger issues, never been arrested, and don't have any issues with my parents.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
This arguement will never get settled. People against spanking just can't accept that it is a form of discipline,
I will forever be frustrated by equating discipline with punishment.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
This arguement will never get settled. People against spanking just can't accept that it is a form of discipline, just like time-outs, taking away toys, or banning them from watching t.v. You can show us a million studies on how spanking is a detriment to kids, but there are plenty of people on this thread who can show they turned out just fine when they were spanked. I was spanked as a child, and i don't have anger issues, never been arrested, and don't have any issues with my parents.
Just like some people will tell you how they smoked cigarettes their whole life and never got lung cancer. Or they didn't have carseats in their day, and yet they survived. People love to take their personal anecdotes and use them as if they are statistics, and they often have a hard time seeing past their own personal experiences to that of a whole population. There are no guarantees here, it's about decreasing risk.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Just like some people will tell you how they smoked cigarettes their whole life and never got lung cancer. Or they didn't have carseats in their day, and yet they survived. People love to take their personal anecdotes and use them as if they are statistics, and they often have a hard time seeing past their own personal experiences to that of a whole population. There are no guarantees here, it's about decreasing risk.
Decreasing risk AND increasing likelihood of positive outcomes. "They came out ok" makes me crazy. Really? Is THAT what you are aspiring to? Ok?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Decreasing risk AND increasing likelihood of positive outcomes. "They came out ok" makes me crazy. Really? Is THAT what you are aspiring to? Ok?
Not spanking your child doesn't mean they are going to come out any better.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
What about the risk that a child never learns discipline if they don't get spanked. I highly doubt there are more bad people in this world who were spanked than not spanked.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Not spanking your child doesn't mean they are going to come out any better.
Exactly. A thoughtful, measured, considered approach to ALL the important factors of child rearing are needed not just lets argue over which way to punish our kids.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Exactly. A thoughtful, measured, considered approach to ALL the important factors of child rearing are needed not just lets argue over which way to punish our kids.
1. Sometimes a thoughtful, measured approach is spanking your kids.

2. This argument will always exist because parents seem to be very passionate about this topic, especially non-spanking parents. I believe it needs to stop because you will never convince other side that their approach doesn't work.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,601 times
Quote:
1. Sometimes a thoughtful, measured approach is spanking your kids.

2. This argument will always exist because parents seem to be very passionate about this topic, especially non-spanking parents. I believe it needs to stop because you will never convince other side that their approach doesn't work.
That still doesn't account for the takeaway message from the child when being spanked. The spanker might think he is being thoughtful and measured...child probably has many other emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.