Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
If I answer this question, this thread will get hijacked. There are many threads on this forum that discuss if it works or doesn't work. This thread is just asking if you were spanked and if you do it to your kids.
You are the one who brought up people not understanding that you're doing it because you're parents did it. Now you won't answer a simple question from someone whose parents did it and chose not to do it. It's a simple question. You should have an answer for why you chose to physically harm someone when there are other ways to do things, a better answer than "because my parents did it and it worked" especially when nonphysical forms of discipline work too.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
If I answer this question, this thread will get hijacked. There are many threads on this forum that discuss if it works or doesn't work. This thread is just asking if you were spanked and if you do it to your kids.
I think this is the first thread you've started in Parenting?

Why spanking? I'd like to know why someone who isn't even a parent yet has a first thread about spanking. (Why not a conversation on the use of sippy cups in America today?)

Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I SO don't agree with this. The cause of abuse in the majority of cases is not some kind of deep evil. It is frustration. Lack of tools to deal with the situations that arise. They want to do right by their kids but they DON'T KNOW what that is.

Guess I shouldn't have said "every parent." MOST parents who know their child well enough to know what is effective and what is not with that particular child, and who are mature and in control of their own emotions and lives not to let a spanking cross the line into abuse.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I was asking-- why hurt someone physically if you don't have to.
I believe that it is effective form of discipline. Now that I say that, i'm going to get more people on here who will want to debate whether you should or shouldn't and that's not the point of this thread. I really want to see how many people were spanked and if they thought it was effective on them. I don't want to get into a debate about whether its effective or not.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is that what you think? That parents who don't spank take too much time deciding punishments?
I think next to nothing about punishments and haven't since my oldest was about 3. If making sure I get a good shot off in a timely manner is "discipline" then I think discipline is for the birds.

(In case you are wondering, this is me agreeing with you again.)

Quote:
And you think spanking is mentally more efficient? Is it that mindboggling for you to do navigate other forms of punishments? That sort of blows my mind because other forms of discipline aren't complicated concepts.
Part of it might be mindset. I have met people who think that kids are little beasts who, left to their own devices, will try to get away with murder. (I think we "discipline" them into that state myself with punishment/reward systems.) If you think of kids as out to get you, then the idea of positive discipline makes no sense. It sounds like mamby pampy letting the kids get away with murder.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think this is the first thread you've started?

Why spanking? I'd like to know why someone who isn't even a parent yet has a first thread about spanking. (Why not a conversation on the use of sippy cups in America today?)
Because I curious to see if people who were spanked felt like it was effective or not.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
I believe that it is effective form of discipline. Now that I say that, i'm going to get more people on here who will want to debate whether you should or shouldn't and that's not the point of this thread. I really want to see how many people were spanked and if they thought it was effective on them. I don't want to get into a debate about whether its effective or not.
I guess I don't understand the point of the thread. You seem unwilling to discuss much. You won't discuss what it means to you to be effective. You repeat that your parents did it. What IS the point of the thread?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
But why would you chose to physically hurt a child when other forums of discipline are equally effective?

When other forms of discipline are effective, saying spanking is effective is an illogical answer.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,456 times
Quote:
You wanted to know if people thought spanking was effective on them, but don't want to get into a debate on whether it's effective or not? I'm confused.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You are the one who brought up people not understanding that you're doing it because you're parents did it. Now you won't answer a simple question from someone whose parents did it and chose not to do it. It's a simple question. You should have an answer for why you chose to physically harm someone when there are other ways to do things, a better answer than "because my parents did it and it worked" especially when nonphysical forms of discipline work too.
Here is my better response, because my parents did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting