Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I think I heard her say the same doctor did the previous embryo implants. She felt she was entitled to have all the embryos implanted at once because they were her embryos. She thinks she will be able to afford to take care if the children after she graduates. I have a feeling those children won't be in her care for long. She'll screw-up and will be deemed an unfit parent.
And then HER parents will probably continue raising/providing for the children. My point exactly.

I only read the first page of this thread and skipped to the last page to write a comment. So she PURPOSELY did this? When she knew she would have to rely on her parents/public assistance? How pathetic can you possibily be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

PS: This is an idea. Maybe our own convinctions are influencing our judgement. I know that 121804 is done having children (right?). I have always wanted to have plenty, to have a housefull of kids. (I started late and it's not going to happen but that's un-related). Maybe this makes me upprehensive watching her living my dream (of children, not of single parenthood).
No, I'd still like to have one more. I have 2 boys. I would love to have 3. Right now, it's an issue of my age (36), finances (I am a SAHM & would like it to stay that way as long as financially possible), & having the emotionally time for #3 as well as the physical energy. I am also very big on nursing & would have to know I would be able to nurse #3 for at least 6 months. We also have a 3bdrm, so that means the two boys share for quite some time (no biggie) & we'd have to get a bigger car b/c we have compact cars & it's impossible to fit a carseat b/w two toddler carseats.

I would have another one now if it was right, but I know we are not in a position to do so. It would be unfair to the baby plus my boys.

IF we get to that point, then I hope it goes well.

I have been talking to some friends who had babies at 38-40. I do feel a sense of responsibility if my child was born with a challenge that he/she had to deal with the rest of their life b/c I needed to fullfill MY dream...

Point is, I'm not just thinking about me & how holding a baby is so comforting. I am not just thinking about meeting a void in MY life. I am thinking about my children.

I do not want to have a large family to fight depression or to fill a void I blame on my parents (which is she openly stating). Those are not healthy reasons.

In no way do I want this mother to fail. Quite the contrary.

I'm just very, very angry about it b/c there were SO many reasons that this was wrong at this time in her life.

I really do not think she is mentally all there after watching her speak. And that is hurtful to see b/c that does in turn effect her children.

To expect to support your children off college loans & for the college daycare to take care of your children? CMon.

To attack other parents & state that she is a better parent when she know people are very confused?

That people are angry b/c she did it as a single mom?

Spare me. Who doesn't have compassion for single moms who have just ONE child?

She brought 8 more into this world knowing there would be NO ONE to help her to PROVE A POINT.

And the children are going to pay the price for it.

NOT fair.

If she admitted some concerns & some wellbeing for her children & that the battle is going to be extremely hard....but she didn't.

But you made a great point about the PR firm which I had not thought about.

Ok, off the bandwagon and off the internet for today

Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And then HER parents will probably continue raising/providing for the children. My point exactly.

I only read the first page of this thread and skipped to the last page to write a comment. So she PURPOSELY did this? When she knew she would have to rely on her parents/public assistance? How pathetic can you possibily be...
Whomever conducted the interview she didn't ask very probing questions. From the excerpt I saw, it looked like a fluff interview.
Ms. Suleman will need more people than her parents to care for that many children. You would need round the clock help until they were able to sleep though the night.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
That's a bit of the other way around. If there are buses and throngs of reporters parked out on your front lawn and every time you make a step in any direction you are blinded by flashlights your only sanity is in hiring a PR firm.

I am just finding it hard to commit to any side at this point... I don't know about this lady enough. I am leaving it up to her to convince me one way or the other.

PS: This is an idea. Maybe our own convinctions are influencing our judgement. I know that 121804 is done having children (right?). I have always wanted to have plenty, to have a housefull of kids. (I started late and it's not going to happen but that's un-related). Maybe this makes me upprehensive watching her living my dream (of children, not of single parenthood).
I know I come from a very different world, but my husband and I are fretting about having a 2nd cat, worried that it will be hard to split our attention and jealousy between them.
My mind just shuts down when I hear of people having a lot of children. Ok, if you are really rich and can hire some permanent nannies to stay with the kids until they grow up and be there for them, but just a normal person, with so many?
It's not only the money, it's - how does each child ever think he is special, being part of a crowd all the time? It's like a minnie lesson in communism, where everyone shares and is altruistic and sacrifices so much for the group. Either that, or there is a tendency to see life as a constant battle to laud it over others to get attention or resources. Both are opposites and neither is healthy.

I do know that if you have one cat and interact with him, he becomes very, very smart and responsive and loving and obedient out of that love - a lone bird is easier to train to speak. When animals are thrown into groups they sacrifice that individual specialness, knowing they are only one of many.

I can only relate to the animal world, but I can't see how children are all that different, just a heck of a lot more work and often heartache.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So she will end up relying on her parents - the same parents who raised her in a "dysfunctional" environment lacking in attachments. Hmmmmmm........?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
So she will end up relying on her parents - the same parents who raised her in a "dysfunctional" environment lacking in attachments. Hmmmmmm........?
I haven't read through the majority of this thread and just glanced over the news story. But, I'm assuming she's relying on her parents a lot and plans to continue if she's living with them.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
This women is so going to get a TV show on TLC. Sad thing is I will watch it because it is like watching a train wreck.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Quote:
"That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family," she said. "I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that ... I really lacked, I believe, growing up."
Damn, she couldn't have adopted a ton of animals to get her "connections and attachments". Cause, yeah, all 14 of your kids will feel a special connection to you .

My other big issue is the $160,000+ she received in disability payments, all the while, popping out those first 6 .

There are thousands of women who'd give their right arm just to have one of those kids. How did this heffa manage to come up with the money to do this multiple times? Sadly, I think there's one hell of an untold story to all of this.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
This women is so going to get a TV show on TLC. Sad thing is I will watch it because it is like watching a train wreck.
An unmarried woman who is IN SCHOOL, living with her parents, PURPOSELY having 14 children that she will NEVER be able to support.

How old are her parents I wonder? How long does she think this situation can continue?

Also...I wonder if she is planning to/thinking of having MORE. It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
No, I'd still like to have one more. I have 2 boys. I would love to have 3.
I must have confused you with CrazyMe, she was done.

Quote:
Right now, it's an issue of my age (36), finances (I am a SAHM & would like it to stay that way as long as financially possible), & having the emotionally time for #3 as well as the physical energy. I am also very big on nursing & would have to know I would be able to nurse #3 for at least 6 months. We also have a 3bdrm, so that means the two boys share for quite some time (no biggie) & we'd have to get a bigger car b/c we have compact cars & it's impossible to fit a carseat b/w two toddler carseats.

I would have another one now if it was right, but I know we are not in a position to do so. It would be unfair to the baby plus my boys.

IF we get to that point, then I hope it goes well.

I have been talking to some friends who had babies at 38-40. I do feel a sense of responsibility if my child was born with a challenge that he/she had to deal with the rest of their life b/c I needed to fullfill MY dream...
Hey you can talk to me, too I had kids at 39 and 41. The most important thing in making healthy babies is being healthy yourself. No unfinished health business, etc.

Quote:
I really do not think she is mentally all there after watching her speak. And that is hurtful to see b/c that does in turn effect her children.

To expect to support your children off college loans & for the college daycare to take care of your children? CMon.

To attack other parents & state that she is a better parent when she know people are very confused?

That people are angry b/c she did it as a single mom?
Some of the things that she is saying come off as they would come off of any layperson, unaccustomed to the thought of watching every word. Take a mom who's just had a Cesaerian a week ago. Put her on a national TV. There will be blunders and off-speak and just every verbal hair will be pulled apart. Take Palin, for example. A governor, yet had so many verbal blunders.

She's feeling the pressure and of course her first reaction would be to get on the defensive, in her case saying that other parents may be not functional, neither.

It's just too much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

She will be just like any other celebrity moms with nannies, so she will have enough means to support her brood. Another example comes to mind is Elizabeth Hasselbeck who landed a seat at the View - and what for? For spending a month in a jungle eating rice?

This is the system. Blame the system. Morbid interest and spinning out celebrities.

Last edited by nuala; 02-06-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting