Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Coney, you should have told the manager what was going on, and the manager should have had a talk with the mother.

A child should not be running loose in a place where people are wielding scissors, razors, clippers, and harsh chemicals, for the child's safety and everyone else's. If she had run into a stylist and the stylist stabbed a patron or gotten chemicals in the patron's eyes, that could be one heck of a lawsuit for the salon or perhaps for the mother, depending.

Also, if a salon offers children's cuts, a smart salon-owner would have a small basket of books or toys for children whose parents are clueless enough to take them into a situation where they will have to wait without bringing their own entertainment.

Frankly, that salon needs [URL="http://www.bravotv.com/tabathas-salon-takeover"]Tabatha[/URL].

Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM

244 posts, read 540,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
This post rawks!
Let me make sure I understand this...
You suffer from a condition that is so debilitating you can't even wash your own hair (Not making fun, but washing ones hair is a simple task on par with many other simple tasks) and choose to go out in a public place where a 5 yr old acted like a 5 yr old, and you blame the child's parents for this? The kid talked to other patrons? OH MY GOD!!!!! (That's sarcasm). Your condition was so severe you were told to stay away from children, yet ventured off in to a public place to get a haircut?
And this is a logical decision?
You really don't see the burden of providing a safe, secure setting for your extraordinary circumstance lies on your shoulders?
It's clearly YOU who has the sense of entitlement.
It's YOU who has a sense of entitlement, about your kids. If you have any, in fact.

In a similar situation, I would have either 1) Made sure my kid was not bored by providing an activity, or 2) made sure my kid didn't bother other people.

Unlike about 1/2 the population it seems, I take care to notice people who are obviously uncomfortable about something I (or my kids) are doing and try to fix it.

As for the ability to wash your own hair, how sensitive of you. Guess you've never had a rotator-cuff (shoulder) injury, even in only one shoulder. Or a broken wrist. Or a whole bunch of other conditions that make it complete AGONY to raise your arms above your elbows. Or maybe your significant-other would help you out. Some people aren't so lucky.

For those who have not read the entire thread, one of your "gems" from pages past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla
You folks are funny. I take my kids out all the time. Sometimes they are quite good, other times they are quite the challenge. It would absolutely "Make my day" if someone ever commented on my kids (Or my skills as a parent).
Now we all know perfectly well where you're coming from

YOU have the sense of entitlement - "ENDURE MY KIDS, or I'll beat you up!" Har har hardee har har.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
YOU have the sense of entitlement - "ENDURE MY KIDS, or I'll beat you up!" Har har hardee har har.
Well ya know his name IS a derivative of Godzilla ... he must be big ...

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
It's YOU who has a sense of entitlement, about your kids. If you have any, in fact.

In a similar situation, I would have either 1) Made sure my kid was not bored by providing an activity, or 2) made sure my kid didn't bother other people.

Unlike about 1/2 the population it seems, I take care to notice people who are obviously uncomfortable about something I (or my kids) are doing and try to fix it.

As for the ability to wash your own hair, how sensitive of you. Guess you've never had a rotator-cuff (shoulder) injury, even in only one shoulder. Or a broken wrist. Or a whole bunch of other conditions that make it complete AGONY to raise your arms above your elbows. Or maybe your significant-other would help you out. Some people aren't so lucky.

For those who have not read the entire thread, one of your "gems" from pages past:

Now we all know perfectly well where you're coming from

The point. You totally missed it.
Heres a good analogy: You have a flat tire, so you drive at 11 mph down the left lane of the LIE expecting everyone to look out for you. YOU'RE the one with the flat-everyone elses tires are just fine-but you expect everyone else to accomodate YOUR special needs (The flat tire).
When you have a flat tire, you get the hell out of everyone elses way. YOU pull over and make arrangements on how to proceede under this special circumstance. It's your burden, not every of driver on the road.

PARENTS deal with this all the time. THEY have the burden, and don't need people who feel "Special" making life difficult for them. They don't ask for your help but at the very least, expect YOU to act like a freaking adult (Not the little child you so despise).

Now who's the one with the sense of entitlement??

Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,358 times
Default New Take on this...

Hubby and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate his retirement. Nice small restaurant we have gone to for many years.

Well, there were two mothers there, one with three kids, the other with two. They were seated towards the back which was nice, and actually, they weren't loud or obnoxious at all.

But what I came to realize is that they got served pretty quickly. I bet the mothers called in their food choices ahead of time so the kids wouldn't have to sit there getting antsy while waiting! One table had small personal size pizzas and the other just some typical spaghetti dishes.

Now, if parents could do that, call ahead, I'd bet it would make for a much nicer experience for the family as well as the other restaurant patrons.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
This thread is so beyond awesome... "NAH NAH gonna tell the manager on you!" I'm crying so hard even thinking about a manager "having a talk with me" about my kids. It would be so awesome if that ever happened - too bad I haven't been that lucky yet.

... and some Mom with 7 cats is telling parents to "order ahead"?! rofl

Anyway, please continue on with your entertaining stories!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
This post rawks!
Let me make sure I understand this...
You suffer from a condition that is so debilitating you can't even wash your own hair (Not making fun, but washing ones hair is a simple task on par with many other simple tasks) and choose to go out in a public place where a 5 yr old acted like a 5 yr old, and you blame the child's parents for this? The kid talked to other patrons? OH MY GOD!!!!! (That's sarcasm). Your condition was so severe you were told to stay away from children, yet ventured off in to a public place to get a haircut?
And this is a logical decision?
You really don't see the burden of providing a safe, secure setting for your extraordinary circumstance lies on your shoulders?
It's clearly YOU who has the sense of entitlement.

Hope you are feeling better, btw.
Scottzilla, you are one of my favorite posters on this forum because you are very funny, but you misunderstood my post and are probably very fortunate not to have experience with serious illnesses either for yourself or family.

With some illnesses or their treatments, a person can be too weak to stand or manage everyday tasks, including combing hair let alone washing it. In addition, the injury/surgery/treatment could be to a part of the body where you cannot move it or get it wet. When you get chemo/radiation or have some other reason for a compromised immune system, doctors will warn you to stay away from children who are not immediate family members because they are germ carriers. I was told to avoid all types of things, including children, by my doctor.

If you read my post accurately, you will see that I didn't think the little girl was all that wild. She got antsy, understanably, because of the wait. Her mother didn't bring any thing for her entertainment. This was a salon that does not cater to children, but rather adults. The mother was waiting for a haircut, not the little girl. In fact, most of the patrons there tend to be elderly, especially on a weekday morning, which is when I go. As I said, normally, I wouldn't have minded the girl approaching me at all, but this would have been dangerous for me at that time. I love kids and I enjoy goofing around with them. I am not criticizing the little girl's behavior at all, but rather the mother's behavior. I politely stated to the mother that I couldn't be near her daughter and as I said in my original post, I told the mother that her little girl was rather cute, but asked her to keep her little girl out of my space because I had a medical problem. I didn't and don't feel that I should have had to tell this mother the nature of my medical problems since that is rather personal, however, any normal person would feel rather sympathetic if they knew my health condition.

Frankly, this mother was an idiot. If someone told me that they had a medical problem and their child should keep their distance, not only would I feel sympathy for the ill person, but I would be concerned that my own child could catch something, if I was too ignorant to figure out what is being implied when someone says they have a compromised immune system that warrants distance from children.

As for having the ability to get to the salon, yet not the ability to wash my own hair, yes I was very weak and someone took me to the salon and then took me home. The hairdresser who helped wash my hair for me was fabulous and very understanding. She had amazing patience to comb out all those tangles from months of neglect. I gave her a huge tip.

Last edited by Coney; 07-01-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This thread is so beyond awesome... "NAH NAH gonna tell the manager on you!" I'm crying so hard even thinking about a manager "having a talk with me" about my kids. It would be so awesome if that ever happened - too bad I haven't been that lucky yet.

... and some Mom with 7 cats is telling parents to "order ahead"?! rofl

Anyway, please continue on with your entertaining stories!!!
Encourage your kids to act up and it can happen to you too!

Unless they are frequent visitors/a well known family of customers, I could not see a restaurant taking an order and actually cooking it before said potential customers even arrive because some voice on the phone says they "have kids they want to feed immediately and will be arriving soon." I agree that was a completely clueless suggestion for anyone living in the real world.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Hubby and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate his retirement. Nice small restaurant we have gone to for many years.

Well, there were two mothers there, one with three kids, the other with two. They were seated towards the back which was nice, and actually, they weren't loud or obnoxious at all.

But what I came to realize is that they got served pretty quickly. I bet the mothers called in their food choices ahead of time so the kids wouldn't have to sit there getting antsy while waiting! One table had small personal size pizzas and the other just some typical spaghetti dishes.

Now, if parents could do that, call ahead, I'd bet it would make for a much nicer experience for the family as well as the other restaurant patrons.
I doubt they called ahead. When I take my kids out to eat, we order the kids' meals as soon as we sit down to expedite things. Most of our friends do the same.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I also wanted to add/explain that the little girl did talk to other patrons in a cutesy way and no one seemed to mind. They probably enjoyed it and under normal circumstances, I would have enjoyed her company too. I love kids and enjoy goofing around with them. It was her mother who was not respectful. Also, if the little girl had accidentlally pushed into me while she was twirling/jumping, it would have been a very serious injury for me. The mother was not respectful of my request and implied that I was some kind of child hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting