Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
LOL, I agree with this. ....
*TWEET*

Two minutes for resurrecting a thread better left dead.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
*TWEET*

Two minutes for resurrecting a thread better left dead.

You should start a thread "Irresponsible parents and well-behaved children in restaurants".

Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Agreed. If your in a restaurant and there is an annoyance that the management cannot/will not correct: leave.

Question..... You and your spouse/significant other are at a restaurant hoping to have a nice meal and some conversation. In walks the Smith family with their 3 children. No sooner does your meal arrive than these kids are running around, screaming, carrying on, and annoying everyone in the restaurant. The manager and/or hostess tells the parents to curb their children. The kids are still acting up. You've eaten a small amount of your meal but, at this point, you are too aggravated to enjoy it and no longer want to put up with the kids' antics. Do you:

1. Get up, pay the check and leave?

2. Get up, give the check to the parents and leave?

3. Get up, tell the manager you're not paying because the kids' behavior ruined your meal?

4. Other (explain)

Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Because this is a message board, I am responding to a post, that is what you do here.

Are you saying that I should keep my mouth shut if my experience is different than someone elses?
And I responded to you. Get over yourself.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

Ok, I will Joe.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Several years ago, I was recovering from an illness and this illness prevented me from doing a thorough job of washing my hair. Finally, I felt strong enough to take myself to a hair salon to let them wash and condition it because I still didn't have the strength to give it a good washing and detangling. There were a few patrons there already and I had to wait for my turn, which was fine with me. A woman comes in with a little girl about 5 years old. The woman was getting a haircut, not the little girl and they had to wait too. The little girl started getting antsy and began to twirl and run about. The mother didn't bring any toys or books to entertain her daughter for the wait. Then the bored little gril began to walk up to the other customers and start talking to them, but also twirling and jumping near them. She really wasn't misbehaving by 5 year old standards and was kind of cute. She was just bored waiting. However, due to my fragility at the time, I was afraid that she was going to run into me or step on me while she was running, jumping, and twirling so I started to push my chair backwards. In addition, my doctor had cautioned me to stay clear of children due to immune system problems and children tend to be germ carriers. Sure enough, the girl came over to me and started to talk to me. I tried in a pleasant voice to tell her that she should go over and stay with her mother. The mother started to yell at me, calling me hateful, childhater, and all other kinds of names. I stated to the mother that her little girl was very cute, but I had some medical problems and just could not be physically close to children right now and asked if she could please keep her daughter away from me. Then I moved myself over to one of the empty haircutting stations and sat there to wait at a distance from the child. I didn't feel that I should be obligated to give a detailed explanation about my personal health problems to this mother and that she should have just complied with my polite request. The mother just went on and on about my attitude in a loud voice so that everyone in the salon could hear. Finally, it was my turn to get my hair done and I explained to the hairdresser the reasons for my behavior.

I have to agree with other posters here who are complaining about this sense of entitlement that many parents seem to have.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM

316 posts, read 989,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Question..... You and your spouse/significant other are at a restaurant hoping to have a nice meal and some conversation. In walks the Smith family with their 3 children. No sooner does your meal arrive than these kids are running around, screaming, carrying on, and annoying everyone in the restaurant. The manager and/or hostess tells the parents to curb their children. The kids are still acting up. You've eaten a small amount of your meal but, at this point, you are too aggravated to enjoy it and no longer want to put up with the kids' antics. Do you:

3. Get up, tell the manager you're not paying because the kids' behavior ruined your meal?

4. Other (explain)
Hmmm....I would either take the food to-go, or if the Smiths were extremely out of control (for any reason) I would tell the manager that I am leaving because of the chaos, pay, and see if the mgr would comp a future visit.

Last edited by boan; 07-01-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: speling eror

Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Several years ago, I was recovering from an illness and this illness prevented me from doing a thorough job of washing my hair. Finally, I felt strong enough to take myself to a hair salon to let them wash and condition it because I still didn't have the strength to give it a good washing and detangling. There were a few patrons there already and I had to wait for my turn, which was fine with me. A woman comes in with a little girl about 5 years old. The woman was getting a haircut, not the little girl and they had to wait too. The little girl started getting antsy and began to twirl and run about. The mother didn't bring any toys or books to entertain her daughter for the wait. Then the bored little gril began to walk up to the other customers and start talking to them, but also twirling and jumping near them. She really wasn't misbehaving by 5 year old standards and was kind of cute. She was just bored waiting. However, due to my fragility at the time, I was afraid that she was going to run into me or step on me while she was running, jumping, and twirling so I started to push my chair backwards. In addition, my doctor had cautioned me to stay clear of children due to immune system problems and children tend to be germ carriers. Sure enough, the girl came over to me and started to talk to me. I tried in a pleasant voice to tell her that she should go over and stay with her mother. The mother started to yell at me, calling me hateful, childhater, and all other kinds of names. I stated to the mother that her little girl was very cute, but I had some medical problems and just could not be physically close to children right now and asked if she could please keep her daughter away from me. Then I moved myself over to one of the empty haircutting stations and sat there to wait at a distance from the child. I didn't feel that I should be obligated to give a detailed explanation about my personal health problems to this mother and that she should have just complied with my polite request. The mother just went on and on about my attitude in a loud voice so that everyone in the salon could hear. Finally, it was my turn to get my hair done and I explained to the hairdresser the reasons for my behavior.

I have to agree with other posters here who are complaining about this sense of entitlement that many parents seem to have.

This post rawks!
Let me make sure I understand this...
You suffer from a condition that is so debilitating you can't even wash your own hair (Not making fun, but washing ones hair is a simple task on par with many other simple tasks) and choose to go out in a public place where a 5 yr old acted like a 5 yr old, and you blame the child's parents for this? The kid talked to other patrons? OH MY GOD!!!!! (That's sarcasm). Your condition was so severe you were told to stay away from children, yet ventured off in to a public place to get a haircut?
And this is a logical decision?
You really don't see the burden of providing a safe, secure setting for your extraordinary circumstance lies on your shoulders?
It's clearly YOU who has the sense of entitlement.

Hope you are feeling better, btw.

Last edited by scottzilla; 07-01-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
QUOTE=Jetties;14848543]Ok, I will Joe.[/quote]

Jeez, I wish my wife would give in that quickly!

Have a nice day.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

4. Other (explain)
I'd have another talk with the manager, and accompany the manager to his or her second discussion with the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting