Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Presque Isle - This has to be the most impressive park in the state. I believe it's also the only one that charges admission.
It does not. Renting pontoons, canoes, bikes, etc. does incur a fee, but there is no fee to get into the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Has anybody ever been to any of Pennsylvania's 20 "must-see" state parks? They are...

1. Black Moshannon State Park
2. Canoe Creek State Park
3. Cherry Springs State Park
4. Cook Forest State Park
5. Delaware Canal State Park
6. Greenwood Forest State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
9. Jennings State Park
10. Kinzua Bridge State Park
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
12. McConnells Mill State Park
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park
15. Presque Isle State Park
16. Pymatuning State Park
17. Raccoon Creek State Park
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
19. Trough Creek State Park
20. Worlds End State Park

Of those 20, I've only ever been to Ohiopyle and Pymatuning State Parks. I took a raft down the Youghiogheny River below the Ohiopyle Falls, and almost took a rowboat across Pymatuning Lake from Tuttle Point to a couple of random islands. (It's a good thing I turned around because the sun was setting.)

So if any of you have ever been to any of these places, let me know what you thought.
I've been to the ones I bolded. We took our honeymoon at Presque Isle. It is very common for people in the Pittsburgh area to have a cabin at Pymantuning. My aunt had one, so did my BFF's family and another friend, that I can think of off the top of my head. I, too have rafted the Yough below Ohiopyle. Rickett's Glenn is as beautiful as everyone says. McConnell's Mill is gorgeous in fall. I've also been to Moraine, not on the list.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
I've been to Presque Isle, Pymatuning, Trough Creek, and Greenwood Furnace. Absolutely nothing beats the beauty in Presque Isle. Pymatuning was amazing... it reminded me of where I grew up in Florida except for hills... crossing the massive lake with a state border that is

Trough Creek is my second favorite. Raystown lake, the falls and trails, the dam... it's all so beautiful.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Here are some more of my pics of my favorite PA State Parks:

Ohiopyle:

Cook Forest:

Wow! Fantastic pictures Johnny C!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've been to the ones I bolded. We took our honeymoon at Presque Isle. It is very common for people in the Pittsburgh area to have a cabin at Pymantuning. My aunt had one, so did my BFF's family and another friend, that I can think of off the top of my head. I, too have rafted the Yough below Ohiopyle. Rickett's Glenn is as beautiful as everyone says. McConnell's Mill is gorgeous in fall. I've also been to Moraine, not on the list.

Hey Katiana,

I tried to DM you about State College area. I have a job lead there. Please shoot me a DM if you know about the area. You are always candid.

Thanks,

Fiddlehead

Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM

88 posts, read 270,646 times
Black Moshannon as number one???

I know my PA parks and been to all of them, Moshannon being one of the closer ones, and can't figure that one out. The park is basically a glorified bog

I personally like Cook Forest. Just my taste. But in terms of geological aesthetics, Ricketts Glenn or Worlds End.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I've been to most of the parks in the eastern third of the state and a few further west. My favorite is, and will always be, Ricketts Glen.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
Black Moshannon as number one???

I know my PA parks and been to all of them, Moshannon being one of the closer ones, and can't figure that one out. The park is basically a glorified bog

I personally like Cook Forest. Just my taste. But in terms of geological aesthetics, Ricketts Glenn or Worlds End.
Take a closer look at the list. I listed them alphabetically.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
I live close to World's End and it's a beautiful, peaceful place to visit. Well kept up and great trails and sights. Well worth the visit if you can get there.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

222 posts, read 1,410,716 times
I've been to 10 of the 20 state parks.
Ricketts Glen, Presque Isle, Ohiopyle, Worlds End, Colton/Leonard Harrison, Kinzua, Hickory Run, Cherry Springs, Greenwood, and Trough Creek. Rickett's Glen is my favorite by far, we have been there 5 times over the past few years, boating on lake jean is nice. I've been to 45 of PA's 117 State Parks, with a trip in April to see two new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania