Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times

Advertisements

^^ Biggest threat you have with an Eagle's game is from the fans themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
I took my nephew to a couple of Eagles games. It was fine. The worst thing I can think of that happened was some innocent opposing team's fans did get (totally unnecessarily) heckled by a group some pretty obnoxious Eagles fans sitting behind them. But the hecklers were loudly shouted down after a while by some other nearby Eagles fans (admittedly this may have been a bit of "knight in shining armor" syndrome because the opposing fans were women), and ultimately they were ejected by security after some cursing & grumbling about "real fans". Standard football game stuff I guess.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
I am really hoping that I CAN take my son to an Eagles game - otherwise he will never forgive me. He is a huge football fan. Were you kidding? Thanks for all replies, opinions, thoughts, statistics, etc. I was looking in the Neighborhood Scout website - found in one of the posts - listing Philly as safer than 9% of cities in the US. I put in Seattle and Kansas City for comparison, having lived in both, and Seattle came back as being only safer than 4% of other cities and Kansas City came back as safer than 3% percent of other cities in the U.S.. Although it does say that NYC is way safer than any of these cities! We will be moving at the end of the summer, wish us luck! Again, I will be able to take my son to an Eagles game right? Anyone??
Why are you this paranoid? Center City and South Philadelphia are safe. You will have no worries going to either area. P.S... the stadiums are in South Philadelphia. The only area of the city you should stay away from without knowledge of the area is North Philadelphia. Seriously you will be fine. Visit the city and relax a little bit. Most of the people who post on this forum live within the city. I'm a white 23 year old from the subrubs and I've never had any problems in the 4 years I've lived here.

The Sports Complex is in South Philadelphia and all the museums are in Center City or Fairmount Park. All nice areas. I can guarantee you that Center City is just as safe as Midtown Manhattan. South Philadelphia is identical to Brooklyn. Anywhere you will go in Philly you will be perfectly fine.

The only thing is Philly looks worse overall because North Philadelphia is far worse than say the South Bronx. So, as long as you don't go to North Philadelphia, you will be fine.

The good majority of crimes in the city happen in Central North Philadelphia and Central West Philadelphia and a majority of those crimes are drug related or crime related (i.e. Drug dealers killing drug dealers or gang members killing gang members)

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
How does North Philadelphia stack up to Brownsville in Brooklyn? (South Bronx isn't really too bad)

Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM

203 posts, read 386,343 times
North Philadelphia is generally more dangerous than Brownsville. I've been to Brownsville several times to visit friends. At least where my friends lived, you could walk around until early evening. In much of North Philly, you wouldn't even walk around during the day.

This does not apply to Templetown, which is significantly safer than Brownsville.

In both the Philly and NYC forums, there are links to color-coded safety maps. Roughly speaking, the NYC maps are graded one level more harshly than the Philly map. For example, the red areas on the NYC maps are roughly comparable to the orange areas on the Philly map.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM

It depends. There are sections of North Philadelphia that are nice. For example, Fairmount/Art Museum Area, Northern Liberties, Franklintown, Yorktown, Poplar, Spring Garden, Templetown are all nice areas in North Philadelphia. Brewerytown, Spring Arts, West Poplar, Francisville, Olde Kensington, New Kensington, Kensington and some sections of North Central are all areas that are seeing LARGE amounts of development and gentrification and are getting better every day.

The worst parts of North Philadelphia and Philadelphia in general for that matter are Strawberry Mansion, Tioga/Nicetown, Juniata Park/Feltonville, Hunting Park, the majority of North Central and the Badlands (West Kensington/ North Philadelphia East area).

For example. To date there are 189 murders in Philadelphia. Something like 108 of these murders have occurred in North Philadelphia. 90ish of those murders have occurred in the neighborhoods I listed as the "worst" in the city.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
North Philadelphia is generally more dangerous than Brownsville. I've been to Brownsville several times to visit friends. At least where my friends lived, you could walk around until early evening. In much of North Philly, you wouldn't even walk around during the day.

This does not apply to Templetown, which is significantly safer than Brownsville.

In both the Philly and NYC forums, there are links to color-coded safety maps. Roughly speaking, the NYC maps are graded one level more harshly than the Philly map. For example, the red areas on the NYC maps are roughly comparable to the orange areas on the Philly map.
Not entirely true. The only area significantly worse than anything in NYC is North Philadelphia. The rest of the bad sections of the city (Point Breeze, those in West Philly and Southwest Philly) are no worse than anything in NYC.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
wish us luck! Again, I will be able to take my son to an Eagles game right? Anyone??
You are gonna need it! The Phillies games are much more civilized.. the damn beer ruins the Eagles games.. Make sure you leave before the game is over its nuts with 40k drunk fans all diving for the exits at one time..

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Don't forget the NE to. The 15th district in the NE is the worst for total crime.. Ya gotta watch CC too. Gotta love how NY feels abut Philly too

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...154113985.html

and looking at this map it looks like the whole city is riddles except the extreme far Northeast.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/sp...136746563.html
and

http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia

and this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMAmCFsK7U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Why are you this paranoid? Center City and South Philadelphia are safe. You will have no worries going to either area. P.S... the stadiums are in South Philadelphia. The only area of the city you should stay away from without knowledge of the area is North Philadelphia. Seriously you will be fine. Visit the city and relax a little bit. Most of the people who post on this forum live within the city. I'm a white 23 year old from the subrubs and I've never had any problems in the 4 years I've lived here.

The Sports Complex is in South Philadelphia and all the museums are in Center City or Fairmount Park. All nice areas. I can guarantee you that Center City is just as safe as Midtown Manhattan. South Philadelphia is identical to Brooklyn. Anywhere you will go in Philly you will be perfectly fine.

The only thing is Philly looks worse overall because North Philadelphia is far worse than say the South Bronx. So, as long as you don't go to North Philadelphia, you will be fine.

The good majority of crimes in the city happen in Central North Philadelphia and Central West Philadelphia and a majority of those crimes are drug related or crime related (i.e. Drug dealers killing drug dealers or gang members killing gang members)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-16-2012 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: removed racist comment

Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Don't forget the NE to. The 15th district in the NE is the worst for total crime.. Ya gotta watch CC too. . Gotta love how NY feels abut Philly too

N.Y.'s Bloomberg Calls Out Philly on Murders | NBC 10 Philadelphia

and looking at this map it looks like the whole city is riddles except the extreme far Northeast.

Philadelphia Homicides 1988 - 2011 | Philadelphia Inquirer
and

Philadelphia, PA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Philadelphia - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Frank, just more over-exaggerations about the city.

I really give up with you. You gotta watch CC too? Lol Center City is not dangerous. There is a small area of the Northeast that is dangerous and it is nowhere near the worst in the city... not even close.

Is all you do is sit inside and track crime and murders while you live in Suburban New Jersey? Seriously man, stop being so damn depressing.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-16-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia