Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Why would they choose 52nd st to be the pickup street on the Market Frankford line... so people can see the ghettos of west philly.

Not 30th St???
Yeah, that IS weird to me.

For me that stop isn't a problem... But people from elsewhere???? OY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 03:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Why would they choose 52nd st to be the pickup street on the Market Frankford line... so people can see the ghettos of west philly.
The better question for me is why not 52nd street? Or all the stations? Or most of the stations? Or half the stations?

This has been news for a day and I'm still really confused and and feel kind of hoodwinked. The Broad Street Line is stopping at Fern Rock and CB Moore, which provide virtually no bus connections, little population density, or anything beneficial? But not Olney and Erie, which provide several connections to NW and NE Philly?

I'm not understanding how the great deal of menial service and hospitality workers, myself included, are supposed to get to work and what's going to be an extremely busy weekend that many people won't be able to take off.

In the face of millions of visitors, the city has decided to essentially shut down the transit system for vast amounts of the city. Is there anything comparable to this in New York, DC, or any other big city with a big transit system that has big events?

On the bright side, I have 3 months to figure out whether it would be easier to walk 8 miles to work, walk 4 miles to Fern Rock, or sleep in a park downtown overnight. I knew this would be a total PIA, but I really didn't see this coming.

It seems that they want to turn it into a big park and ride express system. And I don't understand where ten thousand + cars are going to go at Chestnut Hill West Station, for instance.

I mean, I feel like if I could just understand the logic of this, and what improvement it brings to the SEPTA system in regards to moving large amounts of people around the city, I could be pacified, but I'm really not seeing it.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
It's pretty crazy.. A lot of people of the city, for a wide variety of reasons actually cannot walk for miles! Tough luck for them? Geeezz...way to be world class!.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It's pretty crazy.. A lot of people of the city, for a wide variety of reasons actually cannot walk for miles! Tough luck for them? Geeezz...way to be world class!.
I don't understand this. They could instead convert the local BSL track to do normal express service. The inner track could do this spot express service stopping at Girard instead of CB Moore.

And, yes, it's like they think we have all of these able bodied citizens. Come on. We don't.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
How did the subways and regional rail keep up for the Phillies parade in 2008? This would comparable crowd wise?

I think 52nd street station is a dump and its crammed. At least at 40th or 34th they are in better condition, a better area and Penn/Drexel would be able to accommodate vehicular traffic as well.

And even the regional rail. Media station does not have much parking at all. Swarthmore would make much more sense because the college/Springfield mall could accommodate thousands of cars and then simply shuttle those out of walking distance to the station.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The better question for me is why not 52nd street? Or all the stations? Or most of the stations? Or half the stations?

This has been news for a day and I'm still really confused and and feel kind of hoodwinked. The Broad Street Line is stopping at Fern Rock and CB Moore, which provide virtually no bus connections, little population density, or anything beneficial? But not Olney and Erie, which provide several connections to NW and NE Philly?

I'm not understanding how the great deal of menial service and hospitality workers, myself included, are supposed to get to work and what's going to be an extremely busy weekend that many people won't be able to take off.

In the face of millions of visitors, the city has decided to essentially shut down the transit system for vast amounts of the city. Is there anything comparable to this in New York, DC, or any other big city with a big transit system that has big events?

On the bright side, I have 3 months to figure out whether it would be easier to walk 8 miles to work, walk 4 miles to Fern Rock, or sleep in a park downtown overnight. I knew this would be a total PIA, but I really didn't see this coming.

It seems that they want to turn it into a big park and ride express system. And I don't understand where ten thousand + cars are going to go at Chestnut Hill West Station, for instance.

I mean, I feel like if I could just understand the logic of this, and what improvement it brings to the SEPTA system in regards to moving large amounts of people around the city, I could be pacified, but I'm really not seeing it.

Agreed. And even Septa's "express service", which is the only possible selling point sounds pretty shifty. They say they'll pack em in at CHW then send trains right back to pick up more waiting. I can imagine people waiting at the stations for hours not being able to fit on a train, with no schedule available.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
How did the subways and regional rail keep up for the Phillies parade in 2008? This would comparable crowd wise?

I think 52nd street station is a dump and its crammed. At least at 40th or 34th they are in better condition, a better area and Penn/Drexel would be able to accommodate vehicular traffic as well.

And even the regional rail. Media station does not have much parking at all. Swarthmore would make much more sense because the college/Springfield mall could accommodate thousands of cars and then simply shuttle those out of walking distance to the station.
Nutter told everyone to use pub trans for the 2008 Phillies parade and it turned into a huge mess of frustration with regular daily commuters having to jockey with people who had never ridden regional rails before. Trains would bypass stations and the crowding was awful.

I agree. Why did they pick 52nd St? Even 46th St station... the immediate area looks better.

We've had nearly a million people on the Parkway for the 4th of July shows, but this is bigger because it's a once in a lifetime thing for so many people. It will attract more than just Catholics. It will attract more than just Christians. They initially said a million people will show up. Now they've upped it to 1.5. It means a temporary doubling of the city's population over a couple of days. I'm already planning on staying home the entire time since my neighborhood will be profoundly affected.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed. And even Septa's "express service", which is the only possible selling point sounds pretty shifty. They say they'll pack em in at CHW then send trains right back to pick up more waiting. I can imagine people waiting at the stations for hours not being able to fit on a train, with no schedule available.
It's nuts. It's not going to work.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
Does the CHW station have raised platforms (so disabled folks can get on the train too)?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Does the CHW station have raised platforms (so disabled folks can get on the train too)?
Yeah - CHW, Allen Lane, and Queen Lane would be the accessible entries on the line. CHE has none (or one, Wayne Junction, if the elevators are done yet - not sure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia