Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The better question for me is why not 52nd street? Or all the stations? Or most of the stations? Or half the stations?

This has been news for a day and I'm still really confused and and feel kind of hoodwinked. The Broad Street Line is stopping at Fern Rock and CB Moore, which provide virtually no bus connections, little population density, or anything beneficial? But not Olney and Erie, which provide several connections to NW and NE Philly?

I'm not understanding how the great deal of menial service and hospitality workers, myself included, are supposed to get to work and what's going to be an extremely busy weekend that many people won't be able to take off.

In the face of millions of visitors, the city has decided to essentially shut down the transit system for vast amounts of the city. Is there anything comparable to this in New York, DC, or any other big city with a big transit system that has big events?

On the bright side, I have 3 months to figure out whether it would be easier to walk 8 miles to work, walk 4 miles to Fern Rock, or sleep in a park downtown overnight. I knew this would be a total PIA, but I really didn't see this coming.

It seems that they want to turn it into a big park and ride express system. And I don't understand where ten thousand + cars are going to go at Chestnut Hill West Station, for instance.

I mean, I feel like if I could just understand the logic of this, and what improvement it brings to the SEPTA system in regards to moving large amounts of people around the city, I could be pacified, but I'm really not seeing it.
This says it all. I get some stations not being serviced, but this creates a disability for almost everyone who lives here. The only thing I can come up with is that SEPTA is telling residents to stay home. Still, what about those who work in hospitality and service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 AM

633 posts, read 640,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This says it all. I get some stations not being serviced, but this creates a disability for almost everyone who lives here. The only thing I can come up with is that SEPTA is telling residents to stay home. Still, what about those who work in hospitality and service?
It sounds callous but you're just going to have to leave a lot earlier than you usually do.

Let's be perfectly frank- the city is going to get crushed. I was living in the city and on the subway during the 2008 Phillies parade, and the MFL was a nightmare. The pope's visit is going to be ten times worse.

Estimates of 2 million people are probably going to be a lowball. This is the first time this pope has visited the US, and he's phenomenally popular even among non catholics. Given his age it's not likely this kind of visit will be happening a second time.

Francis drew 3 million people in Rio. Manila has 1.6 million people in it, about the same as Philly. 6 million people showed up to see him- about a million more than showed up for JPII the last time he was there. Granted, Manila has more catholics than the US, but this guy draws a serious crowd wherever he is. Even I'm going and I'm not even catholic.

Unlike the phillies parade, there are going to be a VERY large percentage of people who do not live in the city flooding in via cars (no matter what nutter says), amtrak, planes, etc. Hotels will be sold out long in advance and even Air BNB is going to have only the absolute worst rentals left (note the city passed an 8.5% tax on airBNB just in time for this).

So what can you do, really? People are going to have to stay home. All public transportation is going to have to run at least twice as often as it usually does, meaning everything will have to be an express. one or two trains alongside regular traffic simply won't cut it.

If Philadelphia pulls this off well (50-50 chance, I think) It would mean a lot for getting big events like the Olympics in the future, so no wonder Nutter etc. don't want to take any chances with it.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
I should rent out my apartment! Steps from the parkway.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would if I were you. Put it on AirBNB for $1000 a day. go hang out in AC or something for the weekend and skip all of this.

I'm in the burbs and my wife has something ridiculous like 8-10 people coming out of town to sleep over for this. The logistics are giving me nightmares.

Quote:
How did the subways and regional rail keep up for the Phillies parade in 2008? This would comparable crowd wise?

I think 52nd street station is a dump and its crammed. At least at 40th or 34th they are in better condition, a better area and Penn/Drexel would be able to accommodate vehicular traffic as well.

And even the regional rail. Media station does not have much parking at all. Swarthmore would make much more sense because the college/Springfield mall could accommodate thousands of cars and then simply shuttle those out of walking distance to the station.
Media has a decent amount of on site parking, but don't forget that the 101 is picking up from the springfield mall- there will likely be trolleys leaving every half hour or so. That's already covered as a pickup point.

edit: also, I can't imagine the mall is going to be all that thrilled about thousands of people taking up parking spots for 12 hours at a time that have no intention of actually shopping there. running a shuttle from Granite Run to media makes way more sense.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Yeah, my parents have people from California and Ireland staying at their house for this.

Originally they thought it would be good for guests since they live next door to the Mt. Airy train station-I guess that plan is out the window..

Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post

Even I'm going and I'm not even catholic.

Since you have a really good grasp on what will happen, why do you feel the physical need to be there?
Just watch it on television.

I live on Spring Garden St., near the Parkway. I've re-thought going; I'm not.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
If you are in condo bldg, you probably can't. Subletting in most condos is prohibited. My building does not allow it for insurance liability reason. People in my building tried to sneak past rules through airbnb.

In any case you need to find out from your landlord whether you can do it.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If you are in condo bldg, you probably can't. Subletting in most condos is prohibited. My building does not allow it for insurance liability reason. People in my building tried to sneak past rules through airbnb.

In any case you need to find out from your landlord whether you can do it.
No i am in a rowhome. I'll look into it.

My one friend live in the higj-end Phoenix building by the end of the parkway and they are sneaking around the HOA regulations and are renting to a family for $5000 a night!

Would you have been interested in your building allowed it?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
No i am in a rowhome. I'll look into it.

My one friend live in the higj-end Phoenix building by the end of the parkway and they are sneaking around the HOA regulations and are renting to a family for $5000 a night!

Would you have been interested in your building allowed it?
Wow! My brother and his wife are thinking of renting their house for the weekend near 13th and Wharton in South Philly-they've seen people getting $1k a night in SP.

I think I'll be out of town that weekend, although it would be cool to see this Pope-especially as a (former) Catholic.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you have a really good grasp on what will happen, why do you feel the physical need to be there?
Just watch it on television.

I live on Spring Garden St., near the Parkway. I've re-thought going; I'm not.
I'm not catholic, but my wife and daughter are. I have some interest in the pope and his social positions and MIGHT have attended otherwise, but I'm definitely going to be going because my in-laws are very, very excited for this. None live locally so they'll all be staying with me throughout the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia