Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:22 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No i am in a rowhome. I'll look into it.

My one friend live in the higj-end Phoenix building by the end of the parkway and they are sneaking around the HOA regulations and are renting to a family for $5000 a night!

Would you have been interested in your building allowed it?
I guess they have a "don't care/none active" condo board or management co. In my building, if subletting is found out the fine is $1500.00.

I would never sublet if it were allowed. I don't want strangers in my unit. No amount of money is worth the risk.

I'm vice-prez of our condo board and we are pretty agressive about this kind of thing because we are self-managed. Management companies screwed us over twice by not managing our money properly. We will never hire one again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
It sounds callous but you're just going to have to leave a lot earlier than you usually do.

Let's be perfectly frank- the city is going to get crushed. I was living in the city and on the subway during the 2008 Phillies parade, and the MFL was a nightmare. The pope's visit is going to be ten times worse.

So what can you do, really? People are going to have to stay home. All public transportation is going to have to run at least twice as often as it usually does, meaning everything will have to be an express. one or two trains alongside regular traffic simply won't cut it.
I don't think it's callous - but I think there is a fundamental misconception of how SEPTA works based on the people who run SEPTA as well as the city leaders (as well as any higher security agency involved), and that these people don't understand how SEPTA works. Because they're not really taking about instituting express service, they're talking about a shut down of the system.

Taking my section of the city - the Germantown, Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill area - there are so many ways to go downtown on a normal day. We have 18 train stations up here - 2 train lines. Plus Wayne Junction, offering subway-like frequency to Center City on multiple lines.

All of that is going to be cut down to one station - Chestnut Hill West.

The bus transit to the BSL is incredible - the 23, H, XH, and 53 all headed into Broad and Erie. The 6, 18, 26, and L feeding into Broad and Olney. The J headed into Logan. The 75 into Wyoming.

None of which will matter, because unless there is an heroic attempt to feed every single bus into Fern Rock, which doesn't even have the infrastructure (and is not the transit center it claims to be, or whatever they call it), they are just completely throwing all those ways to feed people from NW Philly into downtown out to the garbage.

The BSL is capable of making express runs - it's a 4 track system. There are all kinds of possibilities. You could commit both tracks to express, closing all local stations, and still do a great job of serving the city. You could do that dumb stop only at Fern Rock plan with the express tracks, and run regular expresses on the local tracks. There are plenty of crossovers too - they're are all kinds of options out there for anyone willing to get creative.

Big events are obnoxious for transit - I've been to DC and NYC for big events. Sure this will be bigger. But the idea of making the system useless for the vast majority of people from the get go is still not sitting well with me.

And as far as people taking off of work - in case you haven't been around Philadelphia lately, the healthiest sectors are Hospitals and Hospitality - the first of which don't shut down, and the second of which will be more important than ever to be up and running and will not let their employees take off for probably the biggest weekend they'll ever see (and whose workers will be disproportionately affected by the SEPTA shutdown).

Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I don't think it's callous - but I think there is a fundamental misconception of how SEPTA works based on the people who run SEPTA as well as the city leaders (as well as any higher security agency involved), and that these people don't understand how SEPTA works. Because they're not really taking about instituting express service, they're talking about a shut down of the system.
Instead of talking about it here every single point you've made should be told to every single council person. Nutter is useless regarding this. There are no more elections for him. Tell your US Congress person. Or rather tell Bob Brady because he might pay attention to you.

Write every single publication and explain how this "plan" is going fail. Be specific.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Logistically, this whole conference sounds like a nightmare. I see a trip to visit my mom in Erie at the end of September ...

Old 06-20-2015, 02:21 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Instead of talking about it here every single point you've made should be told to every single council person. Nutter is useless regarding this. There are no more elections for him. Tell your US Congress person. Or rather tell Bob Brady because he might pay attention to you.

Write every single publication and explain how this "plan" is going fail. Be specific.
Not a terrible idea - I guess after several years in Philly I've kind of grown accustomed to thinking that transit isn't really something the city or state cares about so it's not something worth talking about except on frivolous boards and the like.

It really is only NW Philadelphia that gets truly hammered by this plan though - with Frankford, 69th, and 52nd street all open for the various feeder lines, and much of South and North Philadelphia close enough to walk or make the best out of the bus situation.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Logistically, this whole conference sounds like a nightmare. I see a trip to visit my mom in Erie at the end of September ...
The conference part will be fine. The weekend, with the Pope's arrival and mass, is where the situation grows dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia