Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 11:14 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
Honestly maybe its my age (early 30s), me being unaware or being from the South but outside of the Arena Football team name I was unaware of Philly Soul. I know Austin- Live Music, Nashville- Country music, New Orleans -Jazz, Memphis-Blues, NYC and ATL Hip Hop but didn't know that Philly Soul is or was a thing . It may be because these cities advertise these assets with music festivals, streets (Bourbon, Beale, 6th St. Broadway), TV Ads like come visit live music capital, when movies or shows are shot in those cities you see that aspect of the city, etc. I know there is Made in America and the Roots Picnic but they don't have the history Philly music the way Jazz Fest, Memphis in May or even Birthday Bash in ATL. Most of the rappers that I knew growing up, who were from Philly, I thought were from NYC.
Even Will Smith?

"....in West Philadelphia born and raised..."

-—opening line, second verse, theme from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

(Celebrity-rub-off tangent: I lived in the same dorm in college (and was in the same class) as the show's co-creator with Smith, humorist Andy Borowitz (Harvard '80).)

Also: Memphis in May has a music festival? I guess that shouldn't surprise me, but I know that event mainly for the BBQ cook-off, which is up there with the American Royal BBQ Championship in my hometown as one of the major competitions of the year on the competitive BBQ circuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Poverty rate for black Americans is higher in LA and Chicago, yet both are somehow viewed as better destinations for Black Americans. Also, Atlanta's metro is more segregated than Philadelphia's metro.
I do not see black people mention LA as a destination for Black people. I've seen many say quite the opposite about LA actually.

I think Philly is held of in a higher regard by black people than white people. White people seem to only know alot about Philly's white culture, like its historical tourist attractions and Rocky, but I've seen black people talk about Philly as if it's up there with Atlanta and Chicago in black culture. Black people anywhere in the US seem to know more about Philly than the average white person.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Iv'e been lurking this forum for awhile and thought I would like to put my two cents in after reading some people responses.

In terms of the original question, Philly isn't even a national destination for whites or other POC around the country so why would it even be for black people. The overwhelming majority of the people you meet in the city are either from Pennsylvania or South Jersey.
Because Blacks are Philly's largest racial/ethnic group.

Quote:
Philly's economy and even the metro isn't nearly as diverse as other comparable cities (NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, ATL, Houston) so naturally less people (including black people) are going to migrate here from outside the region compared to those cities.
I know for a fact Philly's black population is growing many times faster than Chicago's, because Chicago's Black population isn't growing at all! Lol

Quote:
Let's be honest Philly is probably the most provincial city in the Country and people here (obviously not everybody) are proud of it, "they don't like us and we don't care". Outside of the Tax Abatement City Hall is pretty open and honest about not wanting to attract outside residents. You had attempted but failed ban on Bay Windows in one council person's district to try and restrict new development in his district and City Council this week just passed a bill that would require all Civil Service employees to have lived in the city for 1 year prior to being able to apply for any city job. Reading other forums on the latter people are cheering that bill saying it'll be good for Philly lifers, it was hard growing up here so only native should get city jobs, we need to help our own before we help outsiders, etc.
I won't disagree with any of this.

Quote:
From personal experience being from the South I would say that historically Philly has done a **** poor job on exporting is black history and culture compared to is white history. Nationally everyones heard about the Italian Market, Rocky, Cheesesteaks, water ice, the founding fathers, South Philly accent but not much about the City black history and culture. People even from afar have at least heard about the black scenes in NOLA, ATL, NYC, DC, Oakland, Chicago, Houston but not so much Philly.
Well then Philly is lucky to have had one of the biggest non-advertised underground black cultures of any city.

Quote:
As a side note I learned there are over 1000 statues in the city and 3 are of black people that were put up in the last 10 years 2 statues are of women and don't get me started how the city idolizes a fictional movie character while rarely mentioning Smokin Joe Frazier.
Won't disagree with this either. Sadly there is truth to this.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly soul, Philly being the 2nd city chronologically to contribute significantly to the development of the hip hop scene, along with the countless famous black celebrities from Philly ranging from athletes to Actors to general cultural contributors prove otherwise. And that's just scratching the surface.
That's right. Philly created gangster rap. Even Ice T said he was inspired by Schooly D.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:28 PM

126 posts, read 117,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Because Blacks are Philly's largest racial/ethnic group.
Historically speaking Blacks have been the largest largest racial/ethnic group for a lot of cities in the south/midwest/northeast (Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, DC, Baltimore, Philly, Memphis, New Orleans, ATL, St. Louis, Birmingham,Baton Rouge, Richmond, etc.) ever since the great migration so just saying we have a lot of black people so black people should come here doesn't hold much weight since Philly is not unique in the category.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Even Will Smith?

(Celebrity-rub-off tangent: I lived in the same dorm in college (and was in the same class) as the show's co-creator with Smith, humorist Andy Borowitz (Harvard '80).)

Also: Memphis in May has a music festival? I guess that shouldn't surprise me, but I know that event mainly for the BBQ cook-off, which is up there with the American Royal BBQ Championship in my hometown as one of the major competitions of the year on the competitive BBQ circuit.
Aside from Will Smith, Jazzy Jeff, the Roots and Meek Mill (Schooly D was before my time) the rappers I listed to growing up who were from Philly I thought were from NYC Eve, Cassidy, Beanie Sigel, Freeway and Left Eye I thought was from ATL.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Aside from Will Smith, Jazzy Jeff, the Roots and Meek Mill (Schooly D was before my time) the rappers I listed to growing up who were from Philly I thought were from NYC Eve, Cassidy, Beanie Sigel, Freeway and Left Eye I thought was from ATL.
Do you think that Patti Labelle made her name because of pies?

Old 06-27-2020, 01:50 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Even Will Smith?

THat's how I figure out which direction I'm going on the El.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you think that Patti Labelle made her name because of pies?
I wouldn't necessarily reference Patti Labelle when talking Philly rappers but I would say that she was more my parent's generation than mine (I'm in my early 30s) at least for my friends and family. I did grow up listening to Boyz II Men though.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily reference Patti Labelle when talking Philly rappers but I would say that she was more my parent's generation than mine (I'm in my early 30s) at least for my friends and family. I did grow up listening to Boyz II Men though.
Google Cameo Parkway Records. It will explain what people are saying to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia