Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 12,931 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]I am new to the Phoenix area and having moved from back east (Philadelphia) I can say that the mentality of the people here is different. I'm not passing judgment (as I have only been here a short 8 weeks as well (I see this was a big sticking point for a few of the earlier post in this discussion... lol). From the way I see it, the thinking here is just different, I transferred positions and was told before I stepped off the plane that I would have to change my way of thinking if I was going to make it here successfully. At the time I thought this sounded crazy. But learned that this is fact, even the hiring criteria is different here... most jobs back home require a four year degree for consideration for employment this is vastly different, here a high school diploma is good enough. I do not understand this at all... it completely bewilders me.

I am an AA female, when I told my father that I planned to move here his first response was in concern of the perception of racism that exist in AZ. I found this odd as my father was a southern man who had NEVER set foot in AZ, but when we sat down and talked about it, he had two main points.

1-The state for years did not recognize the civil rights movement, will not respect the sacrifice MLK made with his life to fight for the rights of AA's. As a youth he took part in the civil right movement and wanted to make things better for his children; the fact that the state was resistant to celebrating MLK Day was something he took very personally.

2- The AZ Immigration law, his thinking (which makes sense) is once they find a way to make racial profiling legal it will not stop with the immigrants, eventually that same tool could be used against you.

I respect his thoughts, we debated about this for weeks, but ultimately other reasons are why I chose to move. For me I did so for my children, in Philadelphia, the educational opportunities are great, socially I love home is so much easier to move around, and there was always an abundance of cultural events that my family could participate in on a whim, but the crime is becoming more and more vicious. While in the city crime has been overwhelming for a while now, but it has taken a more violent turn not just affecting those involved in street life but everyday working people, even in the affluent suburban areas. Home invasions, car jackings, car theft are on the rise again. And what good is a good educational system if your kid is being bullied and tormented all day because, she is a good kid with good grades; then you go to the school and they "help" by calling the deviant child to the office and hand them a slap on the wrist while your child continues to being bullied and threatened. I am angry at the turn my hometown has taken and decided to try life elsewhere.

I say all of this to say that there is good and bad in every place that you live; for me racism can exist any and everywhere; I choose to raise my children to be strong, intelligent people, so that when you encounter a situation where ignorance is present, they will handle themselves with the upmost respect for themselves. Which is how I was raised, and is how I choose to live my life.

Having a different way of thinking here in AZ, is something I can work around... I think. A year from now I hope there will be a post similar to this one, I am excited to update my opinion after I have given this AZ a fair try.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS215 View Post
I say all of this to say that there is good and bad in every place that you live; for me racism can exist any and everywhere; I choose to raise my children to be strong, intelligent people, so that when you encounter a situation where ignorance is present, they will handle themselves with the upmost respect for themselves. Which is how I was raised, and is how I choose to live my life.
And, this, I think, is why you (and your children) will succeed and thrive wherever you choose to make your home.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,441,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
If you are a die-hard or life long Phoenician this thread is not for you. I want to help people making a decision whether or not to move to PHX make the right one. I am also moving out of state in a week, so please refrain from the common "If you don't like it you can leave" speech. I don't like it, so I AM leaving.

Top 10 reasons not to move to PHX or the metro area:

10. Blatant Racism

I have seen it multiple times first hand with every minority group. I have never seen so much xenophobia and hate out in the open like I have seen it here.

9. Poor Education

If you have kids this should be the nail in the coffin. I had to explain what an exchange rate was to some coworkers the other day. All of them are products of PHX public education.

8. Astounding Ignorance

You will find this in working with the public. You really can't argue with this one. If you don't notice it, you are probably part of the problem.

7. Low Quality Housing

Even high-end housing here is **** poor. Stucco, Stucco everywhere.

6. Pollution

Just look at the huge cloud above downtown when your driving in next time.

5. Lack of City Planning

It's called a grid. The Greeks used it thousands of years ago for a specific reason. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it.

4. No Food Culture

Haven't had a decent meal in two years. I have been to what people consider the best restaurants in the metro and found them to be cosmetically very appealing but lacking any originality or substance.

3. No Walkabillity

With all the driving you will have to do, get yourself a Prius.

2. No One Does Anything Well

Everyone here owns a business or has a great idea for something and does it half-assed. Once again, pretty self evident in every strip mall on Bell Rd. From food to clothing, just very sad.

1. This City Has No Future

The only pull factor still in play for this city is weather and the fact that it's the least likely place for catastrophic natural disasters. I have lived all over the US and can tell you without and hesitation that Phoenix, AZ is the US capital of vanity, ignorance and awe inspiring stupidity.
OMG,Really that bad?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post

My rationale is that if I can save one person from moving here I would have done my good deed for the week/month/year.
Honestly, I was on the fence about whether I should move to Phoenix or not after I graduate. For me to say that this post didn't discourage me a little more, I would merely be telling a lie. All in all, consider your good deed consummated.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 PM

88 posts, read 181,944 times
Thumbs up Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS215 View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]I am new to the Phoenix area and having moved from back east (Philadelphia) I can say that the mentality of the people here is different. I'm not passing judgment (as I have only been here a short 8 weeks as well (I see this was a big sticking point for a few of the earlier post in this discussion... lol). From the way I see it, the thinking here is just different, I transferred positions and was told before I stepped off the plane that I would have to change my way of thinking if I was going to make it here successfully. At the time I thought this sounded crazy. But learned that this is fact, even the hiring criteria is different here... most jobs back home require a four year degree for consideration for employment this is vastly different, here a high school diploma is good enough. I do not understand this at all... it completely bewilders me.

I am an AA female, when I told my father that I planned to move here his first response was in concern of the perception of racism that exist in AZ. I found this odd as my father was a southern man who had NEVER set foot in AZ, but when we sat down and talked about it, he had two main points.

1-The state for years did not recognize the civil rights movement, will not respect the sacrifice MLK made with his life to fight for the rights of AA's. As a youth he took part in the civil right movement and wanted to make things better for his children; the fact that the state was resistant to celebrating MLK Day was something he took very personally.

2- The AZ Immigration law, his thinking (which makes sense) is once they find a way to make racial profiling legal it will not stop with the immigrants, eventually that same tool could be used against you.

I respect his thoughts, we debated about this for weeks, but ultimately other reasons are why I chose to move. For me I did so for my children, in Philadelphia, the educational opportunities are great, socially I love home is so much easier to move around, and there was always an abundance of cultural events that my family could participate in on a whim, but the crime is becoming more and more vicious. While in the city crime has been overwhelming for a while now, but it has taken a more violent turn not just affecting those involved in street life but everyday working people, even in the affluent suburban areas. Home invasions, car jackings, car theft are on the rise again. And what good is a good educational system if your kid is being bullied and tormented all day because, she is a good kid with good grades; then you go to the school and they "help" by calling the deviant child to the office and hand them a slap on the wrist while your child continues to being bullied and threatened. I am angry at the turn my hometown has taken and decided to try life elsewhere.

Having a different way of thinking here in AZ, is something I can work around... I think. A year from now I hope there will be a post similar to this one, I am excited to update my opinion after I have given this AZ a fair try.
First off let me say Welcome to you and your family. Your Father is a very smart and intuitive person. Sometimes you have to be a Pioneer per- se even in this 21st century. This state badly needs diversity. Do your best and never take the first no as an answer. Your education will serve you well here as there really is no emphasis placed on education/learning.
Use this experience as a stepping stone to bigger and better things for you and your family. Good Luck to you.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
OMG,Really that bad?
No, not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_college_kid89 View Post
Honestly, I was on the fence about whether I should move to Phoenix or not after I graduate. For me to say that this post didn't discourage me a little more, I would merely be telling a lie. All in all, consider your good deed consummated.
Don't believe everything you read on-line.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,446,151 times

it was more about money than the civil rights movement ..for it was double time for people who worked on the holiday ..for you had a choice to take it off or you could work and get double time for the day if you worked ..

Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM

523 posts, read 938,355 times
palad,

"OMG,Really that bad?"

There is a lot that needs to be worked on, especially to get the economy to stop tanking.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 PM

463 posts, read 1,293,481 times
I am not a native Arizonian or a "die hard". I did however live in Phoenix for 10 years and am currently looking at moving back.

I always find people's negative opinions amusing.

Here's a few of my own opinions.

As racism exists everywhere in the world...I personally didn't see or hear of any while living in AZ. I lived in the deep south and TX for a few years and saw it there.
I thought PHX was a great place to live. Great weather, cheap housing, loads of restaurants and shopping.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,009,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I am not a native Arizonian or a "die hard". I did however live in Phoenix for 10 years and am currently looking at moving back.

I always find people's negative opinions amusing.

Here's a few of my own opinions.

As racism exists everywhere in the world...I personally didn't see or hear of any while living in AZ. I lived in the deep south and TX for a few years and saw it there.
I thought PHX was a great place to live. Great weather, cheap housing, loads of restaurants and shopping.
I try to avoid this stuff, but let me tell you a real story. I am a white woman who dated an Hispanic man. One day, while at lunch, a stranger looked in the window at us. He walked in the door and said to us "did you know he was here with a black woman last night?" OMG! It took me six hours to figure that out. I saw this guy as a person with black hair, olive skin and brown eyes - that is it. And I was shocked a stranger would say such an odd thing to two people he'd never met in his life.

I have brown hair, green eyes and of very Northern European descent. Why some stranger would walk in off the street and make this comment, I will NEVER get. Oh, this was either on 7th Street or 7th Ave in Phoenix.

Yeah, racism exists, even if I am color blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area