Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Then that's even more disturbing that you are so nonplussed by the obvious shift in media priorities over the decades. When was the last time you saw a coffin on tv, btw? And please, let's not confuse intentions with outcomes. I'm certain many people in positions of power (such as media, policy-makers, police chiefs, etc.) who believe they are on the side of righteousness do exactly what Dan Rather did. Seeing such people as infallible rather than all-too-human is the problem.

And no, there's no need to reframe the conversation. Your attempt to do so is telling, though.

Speaking of Vietnam, there was this little thing called the "Golf of Tonkin" incident. Are you old enough to recall that, too, and how the media responded to Johnson's 'claims' about it?
Bottom line, I asked you a direct question. I'm 51. 1970s and yes.

Can you cough up the same authenticity? My bet is NO since you live in Phoenix. PULEASE prove me otherwise, and be HONEST!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
and being snide can make an unhappy person feel better...
No, it's more like being right can make someone right.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, tell it to ABC News then....

Oops, I got my country wrong. We're number 2 behind Mexico City!

Kidnapping Capital of the U.S.A. - ABC News
From the article:

Quote:
...The majority of the victims are either illegal aliens or connected to the drug trade....

Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
If you are a die-hard or life long Phoenician this thread is not for you. I want to help people making a decision whether or not to move to PHX make the right one. I am also moving out of state in a week, so please refrain from the common "If you don't like it you can leave" speech. I don't like it, so I AM leaving.

Top 10 reasons not to move to PHX or the metro area:

10. Blatant Racism

I have seen it multiple times first hand with every minority group. I have never seen so much xenophobia and hate out in the open like I have seen it here.

9. Poor Education

If you have kids this should be the nail in the coffin. I had to explain what an exchange rate was to some coworkers the other day. All of them are products of PHX public education.

8. Astounding Ignorance

You will find this in working with the public. You really can't argue with this one. If you don't notice it, you are probably part of the problem.

7. Low Quality Housing

Even high-end housing here is **** poor. Stucco, Stucco everywhere.

6. Pollution

Just look at the huge cloud above downtown when your driving in next time.

5. Lack of City Planning

It's called a grid. The Greeks used it thousands of years ago for a specific reason. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it.

4. No Food Culture

Haven't had a decent meal in two years. I have been to what people consider the best restaurants in the metro and found them to be cosmetically very appealing but lacking any originality or substance.

3. No Walkabillity

With all the driving you will have to do, get yourself a Prius.

2. No One Does Anything Well

Everyone here owns a business or has a great idea for something and does it half-assed. Once again, pretty self evident in every strip mall on Bell Rd. From food to clothing, just very sad.

1. This City Has No Future

The only pull factor still in play for this city is weather and the fact that it's the least likely place for catastrophic natural disasters. I have lived all over the US and can tell you without and hesitation that Phoenix, AZ is the US capital of vanity, ignorance and awe inspiring stupidity.

My closing argument is this: No matter how bad you think you have it back east, be it New York, Boston or Chicago, nothing you are dealing with is as bad as it is here.
And your point is?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
From the article:

And since the vast majority of people in Phoenix are not involved in either trading humans or drugs we do not feel at risk for this.

It would be a like someone who doesn't drink being at higher risk of becoming intoxicated because they live in a city that has a higher level of alcohol consumption on average .......... sure the stat could be factual, but it misses them.

It's also a stat that isn't easy to quantify, goes grossly unreported - especially internationally

Again, from the perspective of an entity that makes money on analyzing and assuming risk, there is no more concern in AZ than in most of the US when it comes to kidnappings

You'll pay more of a premium on your auto insurance for being located in AZ vs some other states than you will on your K&R policy

Old 11-25-2010, 03:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Is it really that hard for you to believe that *gasp* people can be happy in places other than Phoenix?
He or she had his or her mind made up before moving. Is he or she gonna type away on the MN forum the first time someone cuts him or her off and flips the bird? Or let it pass because the brand new neighbor offered a beer?
He or she painted an artificially (and unfair) black picture of Phoenix, now he or she us painting an artificially (and unfair) rosie picture of MSP. And comparing the two.
In time, negative people will find the negative. He or she will find the negative of MSP, because, like every city, it's not perfect. Then he or she can "pillage" the new "village".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
People are totally different much because there is a culture of civility and general social responsibility here. The problem with Phoenix is that the quality of people there are simple just very low. It comes down to your value system. What I fear, and the reason I started this post, was I wanted to prevent people (especially with school age children) from moving to Phoenix. Warm weather is no reason to subject children to a blatantly racist, uncultured and massively uneducated place. Phoenix is the Detroit of the Southwest. The difference is, Detroit will eventually come out of their slump. But, as long as Phoenicians like celebrity gossip as their headline news on every network, an inept government, "low taxes" and generally being uninformed, live and let live I say!
The same people you complain about here came from MSP and Chicago and Kansas City and Detroit and Cleveland and Omaha and all sorts of cities and towns in that part of the country. You artificially painted a dark picture of them here and are artificially painting a rosie picture of them there. The folks from the two places are really not much different at all.
Negative people will find the negative. You will find the negative in MSP, and I feel sorry for the MN forum when you do.
But I am glad there is slightly less negativity here, now.
Good luck.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Plus, our politics are going to draw more people with prejudice
I have to respond to this. The assertion that Republicans or Conservatives are "more racist" than Democrats and Liberals is completely 100% false. To say so ignores recent history. Neither political party is immune. There are no more or less racists in either party. Let's put this lie to rest.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
And since the vast majority of people in Phoenix are not involved in either trading humans or drugs we do not feel at risk for this.

It would be a like someone who doesn't drink being at higher risk of becoming intoxicated because they live in a city that has a higher level of alcohol consumption on average .......... sure the stat could be factual, but it misses them.

It's also a stat that isn't easy to quantify, goes grossly unreported - especially internationally

Again, from the perspective of an entity that makes money on analyzing and assuming risk, there is no more concern in AZ than in most of the US when it comes to kidnappings

You'll pay more of a premium on your auto insurance for being located in AZ vs some other states than you will on your K&R policy
Aye, Dios Mio. To use your example, you may not drink a drop of AL but good luck driving at 2 a.m. on any freeway.

The more "bad stuff" that exists in a city, the greater likelihood of either becoming a victim to it, a peripheral victim to it, or just having it make your life miserable.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I have to respond to this. The assertion that Republicans or Conservatives are "more racist" than Democrats and Liberals is completely 100% false. To say so ignores recent history. Neither political party is immune. There are no more or less racists in either party. Let's put this lie to rest.
It is not a lie, so let's not put it to rest.

Part of the reason Obama has been met with such resistance is precisely because he is half black. Do you honestly think some fat white guy would have had the audacity to call the Prez a liar in the state of the union address if the Prez were not half black?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
There was no such assertion, I said our politics, not the demographics of our political party. You can feel free to respond to what I really did say though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area