Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,839,557 times

Advertisements

It is 47 degrees there right now...what's yours?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I stand on my original point, mistygrl092. Do you really implicitly trust everything that you hear from a major news media source, without considering how accurate that information may be? Weapons of mass destruction, anyone? The following article may not be completely accurate either, but at least it asks some of the questions we should all be asking whenever we are being spoon-fed 'information' from our media:

PolitiFact Texas | McCain says Phoenix is the second kidnapping capital in the world
You can stand by your point all you like. I am not citing some nutty website, rather ABC News.

Oh, and it was the lies of Bushco that were reported by the media, but then let us not forget who OWNS the media.

There is no incentive or reason for ABC news to lie about this. Not so with WMD (if the reporters wanted to keep their jobs).

Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM

523 posts, read 938,059 times
It is true by the numbers on the kidnappings. Something I don't like about it is the cost to us taxpayers to have to be solving and dealing with drug violence throughout the Phoenix area. It is very expensive, and it pulls away money from other areas.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM

39,091 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, thank you, but if you go back and re-read the posts, you will see why I thought you were referring to me.

I brought up the kidnappings (which is the truth) as I thought it was a bit silly to be concerned over air quality (which isn't even that bad) and then someone decided to say I was spreading rumors over the kidnappings.

At any rate, no worries.
I think it is a bit silly to be concerned about kidnappings too, probably more so than air quality. I mean just living in a city exposes one to higher levels of pollution. Unless one is involved in the drug or human smuggling trade or a spousal custody dispute, they or their family would have no higher risk of being kidnapped than in any town in the country which would be extremely low. Honestly, I thought you were being sarcastic when you posted your kidnapping post. You, as a resident, certainly know that the whole truth is that "ordinary" people have no elevated risk of being kidnapped in Phoenix.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
It is true by the numbers on the kidnappings. Something I don't like about it is the cost to us taxpayers to have to be solving and dealing with drug violence throughout the Phoenix area. It is very expensive, and it pulls away money from other areas.
Yeah, and if they would build that big fence, we wouldn't have such a big problem. Just why doesn't this happen?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think it is a bit silly to be concerned about kidnappings too, probably more so than air quality. I mean just living in a city exposes one to higher levels of pollution. Unless one is involved in the drug or human smuggling trade or a spousal custody dispute, they or their family would have no higher risk of being kidnapped than in any town in the country which would be extremely low. You, as a resident, certainly know that the whole truth is that "ordinary" people have no elevated risk of being kidnapped in Phoenix.
Nooooooooooo, as ABC News reported, Phoenix is #2 in the world. That does raise the odds.

Did you not read that link I posted?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Nooooooooooo, as ABC News reported, Phoenix is #2 in the world. That does raise the odds.

Did you not read that link I posted?
I've seen the ABC news stories on this and all the other news outlets as well. It was explained to you earlier that the high numbers come from the practice of charging one count of kidnapping for each person held in a drop house when the drop house is busted. I had jury duty for a case where a coyote was being charged with 14 counts of kidnapping all stemming from the same raid of a house! The prosecution was contending that the illegals were being held while relatives were called and pressured to pay money to have them released. I did not get selected so don't know how it came out.

So you are either being sarcastic or are terribly misinformed. In either case, it is not worth debating the kidnapping risk with you when everyone knows better.

When people persist in repeating things they know are misleading or false they cross the line, in my estimation, from being a raging malcontent to being a lowly troll.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I've seen the ABC news stories on this and all the other news outlets as well. It was explained to you earlier that the high numbers come from the practice of charging one count of kidnapping for each person held in a drop house when the drop house is busted. I had jury duty for a case where a coyote was being charged with 14 counts of kidnapping all stemming from the same raid of a house! The prosecution was contending that the illegals were being held while relatives were called and pressured to pay money to have them released.

So you are either being sarcastic or are terribly misinformed. In either case, it is not worth debating the kidnapping risk with you when everyone knows better.
I am not being sarcastic, but here is what was said. How do you interpret this and what inside track do you have that others don't seem to? Please provide me with the data you speak of. And that does not include anecdotal data.

Quote:
"We're in the eye of the storm," Phoenix Police Chief Andy Anderson told ABC News of the violent crimes and ruthless tactics spurred by Mexico's drug cartels that have expanded business across the border. "If it doesn't stop here, if we're not able to fix it here and get it turned around, it will go across the nation," he said.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
When people persist in repeating things they know are misleading or false they cross the line, in my estimation, from being a raging malcontent to being a lowly troll.
I edited my post to include this after you quoted me.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM

568 posts, read 1,207,185 times
Quote:
You can stand by your point all you like. I am not citing some nutty website, rather ABC News.

Oh, and it was the lies of Bushco that were reported by the media, but then let us not forget who OWNS the media.

There is no incentive or reason for ABC news to lie about this. Not so with WMD (if the reporters wanted to keep their jobs).
Of course they have an incentive, and it's really nothing new. Corporate tv media make money from advertising; the more sensational the news, the more people watch it, consequences be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area