Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I edited my post to include this after you quoted me.
Referring to the last line of post #227...

So...because I don't just blindly believe you and your "anecdotal" data, and I actually provide actual and credible sources, I am a lowly troll?

See, you just contradicted yourself several posts up earlier in which you said you thought I was sincere and not a troll.

You really ought to make up your mind. I am open to DATA and have to go along with credible news sources, not some anonymous guy on an Internet forum. Sorry. I mean no disrespect, but it is my training in life.

And now that I am forced to, I do recall a post in which you said you'd no longer BS people about living in Phoenix, or something to that effect. You said you were tired of what you'd said and you'd move in two years if things didn't turn around. I do have a VERY good memory for certain things.

Yet you persist. There are far too many pages of posts for me to search through but, trust me, you said it and it was duly noted. In fact, I was shocked.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Referring to the last line of post #227...

So...because I don't just blindly believe you and your "anecdotal" data, and I actually provide actual and credible sources, I am a lowly troll?

See, you just contradicted yourself several posts up earlier in which you said you thought I was sincere and not a troll.

You really ought to make up your mind. I am open to DATA and have to go along with credible news sources, not some anonymous guy on an Internet forum. Sorry. I mean no disrespect, but it is my training in life.

And now that I am forced to, I do recall a post in which you said you'd no longer BS people about living in Phoenix, or something to that effect. You said you were tired of what you'd said and you'd move in two years if things didn't turn around. I do have a VERY good memory for certain things.

Yet you persist. There are far too many pages of posts for me to search through but, trust me, you said it and it was duly noted. In fact, I was shocked.
I think I am pretty fair and balanced to steal a phrase. I certainly don't take news stories and use them to defend some absurd contention about life here when I know full-well the facts. And I try to avoid infantile posts like saying people (all 5 million) are rude, uneducated slugs or for that matter, polite and erudite.

If I had my druthers I would not live in Phoenix. I'm not even sure I would want to live in AZ. But I don't have a real choice right now and may never have a choice. I would much rather live somewhere without all the congestion and crush of humanity that I find in this city and, increasingly, in the rest of the state. The politics of my neighbors makes me shudder and I am sometimes ashamed to say I am from AZ these days (unless I am in Dixie). Still, as I have consistently said, if I am forced to live in a city, this is the only one I would choose. And many of the reasons I feel that way are reasons others want to leave. That's the way it is.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:

If I had my druthers I would not live in Phoenix. I'm not even sure I would want to live in AZ. But I don't have a real choice right now and may never have a choice. I would much rather live somewhere without all the congestion and crush of humanity that I find in this city and, increasingly, in the rest of the state. The politics of my neighbors makes me shudder and I am sometimes ashamed to say I am from AZ these days (unless I am in Dixie). Still, as I have consistently said, if I am forced to live in a city, this is the only one I would choose. And many of the reasons I feel that way are reasons others want to leave. That's the way it is.
Wow, I could have written this, I feel the same way. Although I promote a lot of things in our city I think new comers will enjoy, especially because they are excited with a fresh and new experience, it doesn't mean I am still content in my surroundings for one reason or the other, it certainly doesn't apply to all people, that I am aware of and respect.
I believe it when I hear the phrase "the grass is always greener", I try to respect that when new comers wander in, it's a great time to be in a city, before the greener grass has a chance to change, and who knows, for them it might stay green a long time. I hope it does for me someday!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
Credible and reliable sources, mistygrl092? You've got to be kidding. Because ABC and other major news sources (let's not forget Dan Rather/60 minutes re Bush's National Guard Service) never distort the facts or question their own sources as to the accuracy of the sources' claims?

Anyhow, I find it fascinating that the so-called list includes no other cities except Mexico City and Phoenix. Why do you think that is, mistygrl?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Credible and reliable sources, mistygrl092? You've got to be kidding. Because ABC and other major news sources (let's not forget Dan Rather/60 minutes re Bush's National Guard Service) never distort the facts or question their own sources as to the accuracy of the sources' claims?

Anyhow, I find it fascinating that the so-called list includes no other cities except Mexico City and Phoenix. Why do you think that is, mistygrl?
I don't mean to be offensive, but how old are you? I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather reporting on the Vietnam war. I remember watching TV and seeing the coffins come back.

If you are not old enough to remember this, we need to reframe this conversation.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I think I am pretty fair and balanced to steal a phrase. I certainly don't take news stories and use them to defend some absurd contention about life here when I know full-well the facts. And I try to avoid infantile posts like saying people (all 5 million) are rude, uneducated slugs or for that matter, polite and erudite.

Ok, gloss over everything I said. It does not escape me - still. I still remember that post and no, I will not search through 124/125 pages to find it.

Good for you that you are so fair and balanced. I just would wish for more straight-forwardness and sincerity at times. But then, that HAS always been my biggest issue with this suburb.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ok, gloss over everything I said. It does not escape me - still. I still remember that post and no, I will not search through 124/125 pages to find it.

Good for you that you are so fair and balanced. I just would wish for more straight-forwardness and sincerity at times. But then, that HAS always been my biggest issue with this suburb.
Well, I would hope you have better things to do than go through my 6000-odd posts seeking contradiction. I freely admit you will find it. My opinions and viewpoints have evolved over the years and even some days I am just nastier than other days. Also, since my high school debate days, I like to argue both sides of a point. When I am forced to defend a position that opposes my own values, it helps me to understand the other point of view better. I have done that, at times on this forum, especially with respect to the immigration issue.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I would hope you have better things to do than go through my 6000-odd posts seeking contradiction. I freely admit you will find it. My opinions and viewpoints have evolved over the years and even some days I am just nastier than other days. Also, since my high school debate days, I like to argue both sides of a point. When I am forced to defend a position that opposes my own values, it helps me to understand the other point of view better. I have done that, at times on this forum, especially with respect to the immigration issue.
No, it's actually not more than a few months ago, but still won't waste my time.

Suffice to say, if you flip flopped in this one thread, you are no doubt a flip flopper in general.

And this was NOT an immigration issue. This was more like a "come to Jesus moment" in which you actually admitted this place was BS and you'd be moving on, clearly in contradiction to most everything you've ever said on this board...

But I do understand you must look after your property value, after all.....

Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be offensive, but how old are you? I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather reporting on the Vietnam war. I remember watching TV and seeing the coffins come back.

If you are not old enough to remember this, we need to reframe this conversation.

Then that's even more disturbing that you are so nonplussed by the obvious shift in media priorities over the decades. When was the last time you saw a coffin on tv, btw? And please, let's not confuse intentions with outcomes. I'm certain many people in positions of power (such as media, policy-makers, police chiefs, etc.) who believe they are on the side of righteousness do exactly what Dan Rather did. Seeing such people as infallible rather than all-too-human is the problem.

And no, there's no need to reframe the conversation. Your attempt to do so is telling, though.

Speaking of Vietnam, there was this little thing called the "Golf of Tonkin" incident. Are you old enough to recall that, too, and how the media responded to Johnson's 'claims' about it?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
No, it's actually not more than a few months ago, but still won't waste my time.

Suffice to say, if you flip flopped in this one thread, you are no doubt a flip flopper in general.

And this was NOT an immigration issue. This was more like a "come to Jesus moment" in which you actually admitted this place was BS and you'd be moving on, clearly in contradiction to most everything you've ever said on this board...

But I do understand you must look after your property value, after all.....
and being snide can make an unhappy person feel better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area