Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It is not a lie, so let's not put it to rest.

It is a lie. The role of Republicans in the civil liberties fight is often downplayed while the role of the Democrats is often overplayed. Let us not forget that there were far more Democrats in the KKK than Republicans. The late Senator Byrd (Democrat) was pretty deeply involved in the KKK as a recruiter--and he was a Senator for many decades until his death--and President Clinton said at Byrd's funeral that not long ago in order to win the Democrat primaries in southern states one had to be in the clan.
There are just as many racist Democrats and Liberal as Republicans and Conservatives--and too many in general and fewer than some claim.

Quote:
Part of the reason Obama has been met with such resistance is precisely because he is half black. Do you honestly think some fat white guy would have had the audacity to call the Prez a liar in the state of the union address if the Prez were not half black?
President Obama won the election pretty handedly.
Also, the things folks said about President Bush was far worse than anything I've heard said about President Obama.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
No, it's more like being right can make someone right.

Quote:
From the article:
"...The majority of the victims are either illegal aliens or connected to the drug trade...."
Are you saying you are right?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
There was no such assertion, I said our politics, not the demographics of our political party. You can feel free to respond to what I really did say though.
OK, so what politics are you talking about?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
It is a lie. The role of Republicans in the civil liberties fight is often downplayed while the role of the Democrats is often overplayed. Let us not forget that there were far more Democrats in the KKK than Republicans. The late Senator Byrd (Democrat) was pretty deeply involved in the KKK as a recruiter--and he was a Senator for many decades until his death--and President Clinton said at Byrd's funeral that not long ago in order to win the Democrat primaries in southern states one had to be in the clan.
There are just as many racist Democrats and Liberal as Republicans and Conservatives--and too many in general and fewer than some claim.
You're talking YEARS ago, I'm talking NOW.

Quote:
President Obama won the election pretty handedly.
Also, the things folks said about President Bush was far worse than anything I've heard said about President Obama.
Yes, for once a Prez did. He wasn't elected or approved by the Supreme Court (2000) and didn't have Diebold promising Ohio votes in 2004 (total scam). Maybe there just WAS a reason far more negative things were said about Bush than Obama. Let's see - Blue Blood, silver spoon, fake TX accent, average student, AWOL from Nat'l Guard...the list could go on and on. Oh, and it IS refreshing to hear the word "nuclear" pronounced correctly. Oh, and then there are those two, tiny debacles called WARS that were not necessary.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
You're talking YEARS ago, I'm talking NOW.
No, I'm not. Byrd started this year off as a U.S. Senator. This is recent history I'm taking about.

Quote:
Yes, for once a Prez did. He wasn't elected or approved by the Supreme Court (2000) and didn't have Diebold promising Ohio votes in 2004 (total scam). Maybe there just WAS a reason far more negative things were said about Bush than Obama. Let's see - Blue Blood, silver spoon, fake TX accent, average student, AWOL from Nat'l Guard...the list could go on and on. Oh, and it IS refreshing to hear the word "nuclear" pronounced correctly. Oh, and then there are those two, tiny debacles called WARS that were not necessary.
I rest my case.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I rest my case.
Um, just HOW do you rest your case on this, when everything I said was true? You are not a trial attorney, is my guess.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:50 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
If you are a die-hard or life long Phoenician this thread is not for you. I want to help people making a decision whether or not to move to PHX make the right one. I am also moving out of state in a week, so please refrain from the common "If you don't like it you can leave" speech. I don't like it, so I AM leaving.

Top 10 reasons not to move to PHX or the metro area:

10. Blatant Racism

I have seen it multiple times first hand with every minority group. I have never seen so much xenophobia and hate out in the open like I have seen it here.

9. Poor Education

If you have kids this should be the nail in the coffin. I had to explain what an exchange rate was to some coworkers the other day. All of them are products of PHX public education.

8. Astounding Ignorance

You will find this in working with the public. You really can't argue with this one. If you don't notice it, you are probably part of the problem.

7. Low Quality Housing

Even high-end housing here is **** poor. Stucco, Stucco everywhere.

6. Pollution

Just look at the huge cloud above downtown when your driving in next time.

5. Lack of City Planning

It's called a grid. The Greeks used it thousands of years ago for a specific reason. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it.

4. No Food Culture

Haven't had a decent meal in two years. I have been to what people consider the best restaurants in the metro and found them to be cosmetically very appealing but lacking any originality or substance.

3. No Walkabillity

With all the driving you will have to do, get yourself a Prius.

2. No One Does Anything Well

Everyone here owns a business or has a great idea for something and does it half-assed. Once again, pretty self evident in every strip mall on Bell Rd. From food to clothing, just very sad.

1. This City Has No Future

The only pull factor still in play for this city is weather and the fact that it's the least likely place for catastrophic natural disasters. I have lived all over the US and can tell you without and hesitation that Phoenix, AZ is the US capital of vanity, ignorance and awe inspiring stupidity.

I have to finally comment on your top 10 list. And overall must say that it is well put together and brings out a lot that is negative about Phoenix in general. However, I have lived in the Phoenix area for 25 yrs after growing up in Texas and then So Cal and then living in England, Australia, and traveling over much of the world. So would like to comment on each of your 10 points, here goes:

10. Blatant Racism - I won't disagree with you, but in my circles I just don't see it. I do notice the absence of black people. I personally don't know any, ever been around any here, and rarely see any except on and around the ASU campus, but keep in mind I've lived mainly on the east side in Tempe, Mesa, etc. I do NOT know anyone who uses the N word, unlike Texas where white people use it with regularity and is normal when with other whites.

9. Poor Education - I agree with you on this one. This was my field of expertise and it has always been evident to me how poor the teachers are in general here. I believe it is a product of what has in past been such low salaries for teachers. After years of college, my first teaching salary here was $7,000. Any unskilled person working for tips made more money than I made my first few years of teaching. How could they expect good intelligent people wanting to teach their kids for that amount? You get what you pay for. That being said, there are good teachers here but they tend to be in districts that have the newer, more modern, and less volatile school districts. Some of the older Phoenix school districts are deplorable with teachers who couldn't get hired in the better districts. The students and districts who need the best teachers end up with the worst.

8. Astounding Ignorance - This one is on you because it all depends on who you hang with. I have always surrounded myself with college educated people. The so called masses have always seemed like dummies to me no matter where I have lived. They are simply people who don't know how to listen or learn. You find them everywhere. Because I see ignorance as a contagious disease, I try to avoid it as much as I can.

7. Low Quality Housing - "Stucco, stucco everywhere" as you put it. But you forgot one thing: what about the 100,000s of mobile homes in the county. Now that is a thing of beauty! You nailed this one.

6. Pollution - It is what it is....Yuck.

5. Lack of City Planning - the problem here is that you see it as it is now. 30 yrs ago the valley was a variety of small towns each separated in distance by open spaces. It is now just one big city of mish-mash connected by freeways that were 20 yrs too late in being planned or built.

4. No Food Culture - I haven't had a great meal here in 25 yrs. I go to So Cal for a good meal. Sad really what Phoenicians think is a good meal. It all comes down to what chain restaurant they like the most.

3. No Walkabillity - the heat makes it pretty difficult. However I lived in downtown Tempe for years without a car. Loved to bike and walk everywhere, and that was before the new train system.

2. No One Does Anything Well - I have thought that everywhere I have lived when new to a place. There are a few quality people in all cities, but you have to learn who they are and only use them. Most people barely approach mediocrity in whatever they do. That is a product of American society in general.

1. This City Has No Future - What does that really mean? It has been the fastest growing part of the country for decades now. It remains great climate for all of us who hate cold, inexpensive housing for those of us who don't want to kill ourselves trying to make an exorbitant mortgage payment for some tiny 50-100 yr old home, and nice living for those whose dream is an average life in a peaceful middle-upper middle class white suburbia.

In general: a minority person would definitely feel more at home somewhere else. Those that want culture, class, and intelligence needs to stay in Boston or elsewhere that cherishes those things.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Um, just HOW do you rest your case on this, when everything I said was true? You are not a trial attorney, is my guess.
My case was that there has been far more criticism of President Bush than President Obama. You said that the criticism of Obama proves racism. If that were true than people must really be racist against whites. Or that racism has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
My case was that there has been far more criticism of President Bush than President Obama. You said that the criticism of Obama proves racism. If that were true than people must really be racist against whites. Or that racism has nothing to do with it.
There was FAR more criticism of Bush as it was WELL DESERVED, notwithstsanding his being a white male. Obama is smart, articulate, comes from poor roots, etc. His only failing to date is he has tried to reach out and compromise with the party of NO! He doesn't seem to get this, and I could have told him this!

And just maybe, the party of NO can't stand the concept of a black man (well, really half black) being POTUS!

PLUS, do NOT gloss over the fact that Bush never won ONE election fairly.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
10 Racism: I am a white male working in Los Angeles. Asian males are racist in Los Angeles where I work because they see most white men with Asian females.

Racism is found everywhere, even in blue LA.

9. Poor Education: Try Los Angeles inner city schools.

8. Astounding Ignorance: This is everywhere, not just in Phoenix. Everywhere in America from small towns to large cities. Ever watch "Cops?"

7. Stucco is not necessarily low quality. If you want something other than stucco, demand it for yourself.

6. Pollution: LOL. Just have to look toward downtown LA. Or outside my office window. Five days out of the year I can see Mt. Baldy. 5!!!!!!! I can see Camelback Mtn over 350 days out of the year when I am in Phoenix during the year.

5. Lack of City Planning.

Who cares? Soviet Russia had a "Planned Economy." Enough said.

4. No Food Culture.

Too ridiculous a comment to discuss. Phoenix has very fine restaurants.

3. No Walkability. So you confine yourself to two U.S. cities: Manhattan and San Francisco. Well not every city can be those two.

2. No One does anything well.

WTF?

1. This City has no future.

How about light rail? How about the transport system from the airport to the light rail? Lofts built in Tempe and downtown Phoenix connected to the light rail.

Has no future? What are you smoking?

I lived in Northern New Jersey, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Tucson, about to live in Tampa, lived in some small towns in California and Oregon, and maintained a main residence in Phoenix since the year 2000.

I know my cities. Phoenix is my comfort zone. It's a great place for a commuter like myself to come back home to after several busy weeks on business. Yes the weather is ideal. The great weather makes it more easy to fly into or out of the airport.

I have been to top restaurants in Phoenix. Yes, some chains, but you cannot discount Donovans. You cannot discount Ruth's Chris either.

Pro sports teams in four sports. LA only has baseball, basketball, and hockey - no football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
If you are a die-hard or life long Phoenician this thread is not for you. I want to help people making a decision whether or not to move to PHX make the right one. I am also moving out of state in a week, so please refrain from the common "If you don't like it you can leave" speech. I don't like it, so I AM leaving.

Top 10 reasons not to move to PHX or the metro area:

10. Blatant Racism

I have seen it multiple times first hand with every minority group. I have never seen so much xenophobia and hate out in the open like I have seen it here.

9. Poor Education

If you have kids this should be the nail in the coffin. I had to explain what an exchange rate was to some coworkers the other day. All of them are products of PHX public education.

8. Astounding Ignorance

You will find this in working with the public. You really can't argue with this one. If you don't notice it, you are probably part of the problem.

7. Low Quality Housing

Even high-end housing here is **** poor. Stucco, Stucco everywhere.

6. Pollution

Just look at the huge cloud above downtown when your driving in next time.

5. Lack of City Planning

It's called a grid. The Greeks used it thousands of years ago for a specific reason. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it.

4. No Food Culture

Haven't had a decent meal in two years. I have been to what people consider the best restaurants in the metro and found them to be cosmetically very appealing but lacking any originality or substance.

3. No Walkabillity

With all the driving you will have to do, get yourself a Prius.

2. No One Does Anything Well

Everyone here owns a business or has a great idea for something and does it half-assed. Once again, pretty self evident in every strip mall on Bell Rd. From food to clothing, just very sad.

1. This City Has No Future

The only pull factor still in play for this city is weather and the fact that it's the least likely place for catastrophic natural disasters. I have lived all over the US and can tell you without and hesitation that Phoenix, AZ is the US capital of vanity, ignorance and awe inspiring stupidity.

My closing argument is this: No matter how bad you think you have it back east, be it New York, Boston or Chicago, nothing you are dealing with is as bad as it is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area