Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 34,344 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM

65 posts, read 246,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
If only we all had the foresight to hang onto the ticket stubs and the other memorabilia we had in our possessions over the years.

The concerts that I'll always remember:

Canned Heat: VMC 1/1/68
Jimi Hendrix: ASU Sun Devil Gym 2/5/68 (my birthday)
The Who: Phoenix Muni 8/17/68 (see note below)
Jimi Hendrix: VMC 9/4/68 (quite stoned at that one)
The Doors: VMC 11/17/68
Steppenwolf: VMC 12/31/68
Iron Butterfly: VMC 5/22/69
Janis Joplin: Tempe Pilots Stadium 10/3/69
Lee Michaels: State Fairgrounds 12/6/69

At The Who concert at Phoenix Muni, there was an incident where fans outside the gates tried to crash the fence and get in and there was quite an altercation with Phoenix police. When I got home that night after the concert, I found out that my brother Dennis and my friend Glen were both in jail and needed to be bailed out. Seems as though they were part of this crowd and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Both had been Maced and clubbed and were charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Ah, the indiscretions of youth!

I do regret missing the Moody Blues when they were at the Coliseum in 71 I believe?
Does anyone remember a Spirit concert sometime around the above time frame. I thought it was at the VMC but can find no reference to it.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:18 PM

Anyone remember the Winnie Ruth Judd escapes from the State Mental Hospital?

Old 12-28-2020, 07:57 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Anyone remember the Winnie Ruth Judd escapes from the State Mental Hospital?
The home still stands amidst development all around.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Wow, that's crazy

Old 12-28-2020, 08:24 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Wow, that's crazy

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...4d-112.0706041

Old 01-01-2021, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
Default Not wanting to remember D.V.P. Barrio & it's Locos..,

Well, to begin; November of '64, when my Mama gave birth to me, and until late Spring in '68, we lived in my Nana's home (that she owned) in a small, tight-knit community known as "G.G.B." (The Golden Gate Barrio).
In fact, the Church that still stands there, desolate and fenced up because, it is now part of the Sky Harbor Airport, well I was baptized in that Church and my Mother had worked at the Barrio mini - market known as "Fongs". Owned and ran by the original Oriental Family "The Fong Family". My Mother was the first and only non-relative store Clerk that this family has ever hired. Then, in late Spring of '68, my Mama and Nana started to get, too close for comfort; more or less? Actually, my Mother had wanted to run her own family, household and income since first she discovered she had me in her belly. So, my courageous Mother set out to seek this new life for us and with none to little finances on her hands, including the help my Nana inputted. Also, my Nana had huge trepidations of us living alone in such a project, low to none income family's housing development that, only later my Nana would finally give my Mother the blessings she so yearned for, and only because that; it was literally within a little less than 6 to 7 minutes walking from G.G.B. to D.V.P. (way long ass before that wonderful State Route Freeway, the "S.R.51, formerly known as the "Squaw Peak Freeway). Luckily for us, they moved us into the "little projects", but, still the DUPS located at 1928 E. Polk #201. Which, is where the Duppa Villa Projects starts, and, also where my only little sister had been born. And, now,, down that long ass alley driveway (not really considered an ally but, that was the nickname for it) we now enter the 2 story projects (better known as the "Big Projects") which is where the projects take their namesake from the street of Villa ST. located approximately 2 blocks south of Roosevelt ST. (which is where the projects had ended). So, in essence; since Edison Park was on the southwest corner of Roosevelt ST. & 20th ST. it is with that said; why D.V.P. had taken major claim and somewhat ownership of Edison Park. That State Owned Park was and still will be part of the Duppa Villa Barrio. My tia' had lived at that part of D.V.P. located at 18 forty-something E. Villa (apartment number escapes me for the moment). Now, if we were to cut through that part of the ally, it would lead us right onto McKinley ST. Which, is where a different portion of D.V.P. continued (which is where my other tia' had an apartment). Her apartment was upstairs, just like my other tia' on Villa, but it faced the old free County Medical Center and Edison School yard (way, way before it had become a D.E S.). And, now continuing towards the end of the DUPS right at the end of McKinley ST. meets 16th ST. (which, we referred to that last portion of D.V.P. as "the Old People's Projects).
I was so ecstatic when we had finally reached enough monetary value to finally pack up and move the hell out of that Hellish Horror of a non-stopping nightmare and far away from the Duppa Villa Projects in mid- spring of 1982- '83. And, thanks to your stupid post about this hell hole,, I hadn't ever cared to look back on that Hellish horror of a sad and desperate time....., thanks a bunch.., NOT!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:11 AM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,900 times
Default Bobs At Central and Thomas

I worked at Bobs on the car hop side in the late 50s early 60s. I was the "drink" dude. Made all the drinks for the car hop orders. Then, I got a promotion to the restuarant side with a $10 cent raise. I know, don't spend it all in one place. Now, I was the salad dude. I stayed until my enlistment in the military. Also, you got to eat one meal per shift. The had huge amounts of peeled shrimp and you could eat as much as you wanted. Truly heaven for a miniscule job.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Quote:
There was one in Scottsdale as well
The Big Boy restaurant in Scottsdale was on the nw corner of Scottsdale Rd and McDowell rd.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There's a house there, yes, but not the same house that was there then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area