Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,187,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I remember a few speed shops: Loper's, DuBois, Ed Smith's, Valley Speed Center, Chuck's, Goosic and the oldest one I went to all the time, Eastside Auto Parts on Washington about 20th St.

There was also Wilky's in Mesa, great small block Chevy parts for a '71 Camaro. Phoenix Racing Equipment ("At 16 West Camelback, IN PHOENIX!") later became part of the SuperShops franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,187,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
the Yates was free standing. they knocked it down and built a little strip center that had a Tower Records and a Peter Piper Pizza along with a CLicks billards.

i think you are thinking of the Yelloe Front that was right next to a Basha's.

the Basha's/Walgreens is vacant now. has been for over a year now. about 5 years or more ago, they demolished the walgreens next to it.
The Yellow Front was at the NE corner of Scottsdale and Thomas, next to the bowling alley. In the 70s there was a nursery there as well, don't remember the name. Used to work at the Y on Civic Center Plaza (74th Street) just north of Thomas. Don't remember the Jack in the Box at McDowell/74th, but there was that tiny Jack in the Box just east of Hayden and Indian School. Ridiculously small, just two or three tables inside.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 12-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Corrected address

Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,635,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The Yellow Front was at the NE corner of Scottsdale and Thomas, next to the bowling alley. In the 70s there was a nursery there as well, don't remember the name. Used to work at the Y on Civic Center Plaza (74th Street) just north of Thomas. Don't remember the Jack in the Box at McDowell/74th, but there was that tiny Jack in the Box just east of Hayden and Indian School. Ridiculously small, just two or three tables inside.
Payless Discount Nursery. Down the street was Betty Crocker's Tree House with all those mechanical birds making noise while kids ate their animal shaped Jello, one leg at a time, then the head.............

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
I remember the Yellow Front, and Payless Nursery, and the Tree House. The Jack in the Box at 74th, I think, is still there... there's one right in that area, anyway.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 PM

10 posts, read 28,614 times
Amazing pieces of memories here. Wow! I still love returning to Phx to revisit old places and memories, and nice to see them described on this forum. Someone a few pages back sounds like a fellow Scottsdale HS alum from the early 70s. Great time and place.

My family moved to Phx in 1960, and then to Scottsdale in 1968. I lived in one of the beautiful old houses near Central and Camelback. The air was cooler in the summer when we turned off Central onto Medlock. 1/2 acre lots. I'd go to the store for my mom, in Uptown Plaza, sneak across Central, age 8 or 9. Can't remember which store. But WT Grant was in that shopping center, and perhaps a stamp book redemption center. Every Friday I'd have a 10 cent ice cream at Baskin&Robbins on our side of Central. Marvel over the 'gourmet foods' at Cheese & Stuff. Bought my first flute at the little music store in that strip mall. Went to Madison Park Elementary, and had to take the bus past all the car dealerships on Camelback.

Later, in Scottsdale, we lived where the library now stands. A mixed race neighborhood, with some old adobes, Indian silversmiths across the street, Mexican kids. Very integrated for the times. We had a big plum tree in the yard, citrus. Walked home from Loloma, across Scottsdale Road. Went into galleries a lot as I got older, thought art was just part of life. Road my bike everywhere, loved the 'rich' neighborhoods with good sprinklers to run through around Lafayette. Rented ponies, delivered to downtown Scottsdale, to ride for the day around town.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 AM

One of those fellow SHS alums from the early 70s that have posted here would be me.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,635,224 times
Here is an interesting old hand colored lantern slide from Phoenix showing Dutch Belted Cattle. Photo may have been taken at the fairgrounds. After 1900 dairy farmers switched to other breeds. Here is a little history of the breed:
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues..._Overfelt.html

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cows.jpg

Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,729 times
I found what I was looking for on EBAY.It was recorded in the fifties by Faron Warmer the songs title is Cruisin Central.I still think that this local D.J. also recorded it.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,597 times
Default Rose-Mar College of Beauty

Hey Roosevelt

Could you do me a favor and dig out your old phone books and tell me the address of the old Rose-Mar College of Beauty in Mesa?

Thanx
Willie
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-1992.2.1138.jpg  

Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM

The one where the guy murdered I forget how many women? What was his name? Smith, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area