Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
What do you mean by "rough"? I have lived in Northern Arizona for the past several years and have not been back to the Valley since. I was raised in the Valley so all these comments are extremely interesting.
I lived on the corner of Desert Cove and 15th Avenue and then about a block away on 16th and Peoria...this was about 73-77...I never felt it was unsafe back then but then young and dumb is possible too. I remember going back in 85 with my then 8 yr old son and to quote him "this is the ghetto mom"...I didn't really think it was exactly a ghetto when I lived there but it wasn't PV either. When I went back last year there were "new" (since 77) apt complexes that were in total disrepair, many of the old houses had been demolished and replaced with high rise apt complexes with laundry hanging off the balconies, dead cars all around...I could go on so I guess my only description would be to call it rough. It was nothing like the 70's or even 85 for that matter. Just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I seem to remember Porter Waggoner (sp?) pitching dish/laundry soap on TV and pulling those cheap little dish towels out of the box of soap. Im pretty sure Dolly Parton was in those commercials too.
Anybody?
She was. I remember those ads, early 70s. Breeze was the detergent. She made a big deal out of the flowers on the dish towels. As for Duz, well, "Duz does it."

Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
I seem to remember Porter Waggoner (sp?) pitching dish/laundry soap on TV and pulling those cheap little dish towels out of the box of soap. Im pretty sure Dolly Parton was in those commercials too.
Anybody?
I think they were in a Breeze laundry detergent commercial but the online video won't work due to copyright something or other.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
What was the address here? The Hannys on 1st Street & Adams is on a corner.
This does not appear to be.
Im soooo confused!
The photo must be looking east, or more accurately southeast. The buildings behind the construction site are on the other side of First St. Korricks was at First and Washington, so that's the building to the right. I can see the Fox sign sticking up in the background.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
What was the address here? The Hannys on 1st Street & Adams is on a corner.
This does not appear to be.
Im soooo confused!
My photograph is looking southeast. You can see Adams Street where the covered sidewalk is and also they wrote Switzer's on the wall near Central. East across 1st Street is Dorris Heyman, then Korrick's then across Washington the Fox.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I don't remember the margarine but I remember the plates...white with a wheat pattern and gold rimmed. Also remember towels in the soap too...weren't these towels and plates from Duzz or Dizz or something like that? I remember the flour sacks being used as dish towels. Seems like in the 'old days' they made it worth your while shopping at a particular store...the store itself gave out glasses, dishes, pots...seems like we had punch cards or something. And let's not forget trading stamps...they were my favorite.
Duz Does Everything; the phrase was used so much that the company had to keep protecting its copyright. The stuff crammed into boxes was going full steam in the 40's, so much that many cartoons made fun of it, like the one where a kid is opening a box of cereal and pulling out a full sized kitchen table and 4 chairs!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Here is another photo, guess where it is and the building.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc02835.jpg

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is another photo, guess where it is and the building.
Attachment 81146
Didn't you post this one before in this thread??? I seem to remember the " New Home of" sign. I don't remember the answer, and I can't find any old post. Looking as closely as I can at the picture on the sign, it looks like the R and G building at Third and Van Buren, the other building the Westward Ho.

Last edited by observer53; 06-13-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Didn't you post this one before in this thread??? I seem to remember the " New Home of" sign. I don't remember the answer, and I can't find any old post. Looking as closely as I can at the picture on the sign, it looks like the R and G building, the other building the Westward Ho.
Yes, the Republic and Gazette building 1948. The other photo I posted was the Sahara.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, the Republic and Gazette building 1948. The other photo I posted was the Sahara.
Oh, that's right... NOW I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area