Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 AM

93 posts, read 254,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Just a fun postcard from 1950. TWA trying to make Phoenix a paradise so people would fly here.

Attachment 93255
Nice postcard and neat ad for TWA. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,359 times
Default Jungle park Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post
I grew up not far from Jungle park Zoo, if memory serves the store came after the Zoo closed.
It was near 7th st and Rose Lane on the west side of the street.
I remember last going by the pet store in the nineties. I don't know when it closed. ?
There is still a vacant area there with very old looking tall trees tucked back in there. I drive by it every day. I wonder if those trees are the remains of the zoo.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
I would suspect that they are. I'll have to take a drive by there soon- I haven't for a while, and when I did, I probably wasn't paying attention to the area or the trees.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
There is still a vacant area there with very old looking tall trees tucked back in there. I drive by it every day. I wonder if those trees are the remains of the zoo.
The pet store and zoo were both open in 1970. There was also a drive thru dairy approximately across the street run by an old couple and their daughter.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM

20 posts, read 53,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would suspect that they are. I'll have to take a drive by there soon- I haven't for a while, and when I did, I probably wasn't paying attention to the area or the trees.
That sure looks like the place. I'll have to take a drive by there myself.

When did they shut the zoo down?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,497 times
We arrived in Phoenix 1945/6
In 1947 we moved to Portland St (now an historic district), attended St. Mathews. There was a Chinese owned grocery store, Henry's, at Five points.
Loved going to the Green Gable and The Flame restaurants for special dinners. Jordan's Mexican; Toy's for Chinese; Razzoli's (sp?) for Italian
The Palm's movie theater was favorite - especially since I got to sit on John Wayne's lap when he appeared for the opening of one of his movies (Fort Apache I think - or She wore a yellow ribbon maybe).
Going to Encanto Park on Saturday mornings for Uncle Chris and renting canoes to paddle around the lagoons
Going to the brand new library on Central
The old Adams hotel with the Indians used to sit outside and sell squash blossoms and concho belts and rugs, etc. There was also a pop corn place there with caramel apples and they would have a fan at the back of the shop to blow the smells out into the street to entice people in - it worked too.
Only able to water the lawn on certain days and times and you always had to ask for a glass of water - they didn't want to waste it if you didn't want it.
The wonderful smell of the orange trees in bloom.
My Dad bringing fresh strawberries and bunches of Stock home from Luke Field when we moved out into no man's land north of Glendale Ave and 19th ave (originally Orangewood until it was stolen and street name changed to Myrtle - wonderful dirt roads, orange groves and cotton field.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM

107 posts, read 423,443 times
There was a resort called La Vista Grande near the south base of Camelback Mtn, somewhere between 56th and 62nd Street I'd guess.

It wasn't very big, had sort of Spanish looking white buildings with tile roofs, and a good-size swimming pool.

We had our grade school band parties there in the mid 60's. Some Moms would make hamburgers, and us kids would swim, chase each other around the grounds, and play Beatles records.

Don't know if it was swallowed by the Phoenician or new houses, or whether any remnants are still there.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
There was a resort called La Vista Grande near the south base of Camelback Mtn, somewhere between 56th and 62nd Street I'd guess.

It wasn't very big, had sort of Spanish looking white buildings with tile roofs, and a good-size swimming pool.

We had our grade school band parties there in the mid 60's. Some Moms would make hamburgers, and us kids would swim, chase each other around the grounds, and play Beatles records.

Don't know if it was swallowed by the Phoenician or new houses, or whether any remnants are still there.

Hadn't thought about that place in years! I remember the sign on Camelback Road where the entrance road was. I suspect it's all gone, although I've not gone looking for it.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM

20 posts, read 86,013 times
Default A scan from one of the old AZ Sportsman magazines

I got a few years worth of this magazine on eBay and have scanned a few pages.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-az-sportsman-1952-74.75.jpg  

Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 AM

93 posts, read 254,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryada View Post
I got a few years worth of this magazine on eBay and have scanned a few pages.
I like the magazine scan. A-1 Beer is always neat. They had great advertising signs. The small Kohler Generator set is also a neat ad. I wonder if any of the magazines have ads for Drive in Theatres? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area