Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember the Litchfield Naval Air Station? In the fifties we would drive to the Estrella Mountains for picnics and hiking etc. We passed the Naval Station where thousands of mothballed military aircraft were stored. They went as far as one could see. All shapes and sizes. Some had names and personal markings such as the military allowed. The site was closed and some aircraft were sent to other storage facilities but many, most, were smelted right there. Years ago we were in the area and all that remained was a huge mountain of slag from the smelting process. Here is a link to a picture of some of the aircraft that once lived there. The pictures do not give provide the enormity of that storage facility. It was BIG!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...views_1959.jpg
I can remember after WWII the number of aircraft parked in long rows. Some of those are now worth millions of dollars. I swear I used to go to midget car races out in that area with my uncle but cannot remember where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Christmas in Phoenix in the 1950's, maybe someone recognizes where the photo was taken.

Merry Christmas
everyone.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-christmas-phoenix-1950s-cactus.jpg

Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Christmas in Phoenix in the 1950's, maybe someone recognizes where the photo was taken.

Merry Christmas
everyone.

Attachment 122797
Looks sorta like the Papago buttes in the background, and that marker rings some kind of bell, but I have been eating way too much pecan pie and had more than my share of Anchor Porters, so how in the world would I know??
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Looks sorta like the Papago buttes in the background, and that marker rings some kind of bell, but I have been eating way too much pecan pie and had more than my share of Anchor Porters, so how in the world would I know??
Merry Christmas!

I haven't been overindulging on pie or beer, and I agree.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM

156 posts, read 420,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember the Litchfield Naval Air Station? In the fifties we would drive to the Estrella Mountains for picnics and hiking etc. We passed the Naval Station where thousands of mothballed military aircraft were stored. They went as far as one could see. All shapes and sizes. Some had names and personal markings such as the military allowed. The site was closed and some aircraft were sent to other storage facilities but many, most, were smelted right there. Years ago we were in the area and all that remained was a huge mountain of slag from the smelting process. Here is a link to a picture of some of the aircraft that once lived there. The pictures do not give provide the enormity of that storage facility. It was BIG!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...views_1959.jpg
That is Goodyear airport now!
You can go back to 1958 on that historical website and see all the aircraft.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 50,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I must be losing it,I also lived a couple blocks S.W. of there in that same time as you, passed by there a million times and still drawing a blank. It seems as though I remember a building being torn down there , that must have been it.
I also went to Lubo.s for things, they always had what you needed, from a tiny screw on up, and someone there to help you find it.
I.m not sure when they opened, late 70's or early 80's but there was a Pep Boys on the west side of 24 th St., just north of Thomas. Also a mexican restaurant next to that, ate there many times, but have forgotten the name, but the place was always busy.
Thanks, Slowesthand, I stand corrected...it was Pep Boys on the west side of the street.
Had a friend who LOVED Ricardo's; he would get a basket of chips for himself.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 AM

22 posts, read 50,688 times
Quote:
Green Stamps, the loyalty card equivalent of the era. When sent to the store on my bike for a few groceries my mother would always stick out her hand for the change and the green stamps. "Where are the green stamps? You didn't get the green stamps?"

There were Gold Bond stamps too, but I don't remember them being as treasured.

Anyone remember Food King Market in that same neighborhood? An independent located on the east side of 24th St. between Thomas and Oak. I'm thinking it was roughly opposite the bowling alley/green stamp store.
That may be the market my wife remembers from her childhood. She says they advertised "Nebraska Beef", and her mom would buy her a pickle from a jar atop the meat counter.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
I have a friend who wants to know if there is anyone out in the Phoenix area that remembers the days of American Bandstand and remembers Mike Green? He doesn't have a computer, but wants to look up old friends. Can anyone help me out. He is currently living in Bremerton, WA.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toextra View Post
That may be the market my wife remembers from her childhood. She says they advertised "Nebraska Beef", and her mom would buy her a pickle from a jar atop the meat counter.
Probably. I vaguely remember the Nebraska Beef sign, maybe. The only other market in the immediate vicinity was the A. J. Bayless on the NE corner of 24th and Thomas.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Probably. I vaguely remember the Nebraska Beef sign, maybe. The only other market in the immediate vicinity was the A. J. Bayless on the NE corner of 24th and Thomas.
I know it was much later, but there was a Safeway on the corner of 20th st. and Thomas. That was before the "Squaw Peak Parkway" was built. After the parkway was put in it became a Food Land or El Rancho or something like that. Also had a Osco drugs next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area