Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,026 times

Advertisements

Do liberals not have to commute than asufan???? I'm not taking a shot at your comment but, this opposition is just unfathomable to me still.......

Those saying that it will mostly be truck truck route are only half right. Trucks will use it to bypass Phoenix for sure but, it will also open up an oppurtunity for those in the SE valley to commute to west side. Also, with Chandler being a place with a lot of jobs it will also open up the possibility of people being able to commute to Chandler from the West side. the 10 as it stands now is terribly congested during the rushes and always quite conjested most of the day (albeit usually moving, but I have hit noontime traffic more than once.)

Last edited by elcajones; 05-21-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
With the reservation boundary not far to the south, and South Mountain Park to the north, there's really not room for much "enlargement".
anything that makes it easier to get to the city from the south encourages growth in the south - even it's Casa Grande.

// don't have a dog in this race, except I think if we're gonna build any freeways here they need 10+ lanes, each way -by default. The whole "build a three-lane road, then tear it up for a couple years & spend another billion bucks to add a fourth lane, only to tear it up and spend another billion bucks after five more years" thing is pretty silly.

Ten lanes, each way, every time.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Cheers and support for those that have contributed to this lawsuit to stop this freeway from ruining Ahwatukee.
I hope you have read the replies to the thread you started because almost all of the responses are not in your favor. The South Mountain Freeway has been on the books since the mid 1980s, and it has needlessly been delayed thanks mostly to pathetic NIMBYs like you. ADOT shares some blame for the delay as well because the freeway was scrapped shortly after their budget boondoggle in the early 1990s ... however, the Ahwatukee Foothills residents who keep fighting it need to give it up and get over it. You're accomplishing nothing except wasting time and taxpayer money.

The freeway is not going to ruin Ahwatukee. If anything, it will help improve traffic flow in & around Ahwautkee, including I10 where all the traffic heads into downtown Phoenix & the west Valley, creating a traffic nightmare. The South Mountain leg of the 202 is a bypass route, and that's what its intention was in the first place. If you happen to live in the freeway's path or close by, too bad. You should have known this was on the books before you moved there.

Get a life, NIMBY! Most of all, if you're against freeways and other things which you believe will ruin your area, maybe it's time that you moved to a small town or a remote area where you won't have to worry about progress getting in your way. I'm fed up with your types who choose to live in a large metro area like this and oppose practically everything that involves progress/development.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
anything that makes it easier to get to the city from the south encourages growth in the south - even it's Casa Grande.

// don't have a dog in this race, except I think if we're gonna build any freeways here they need 10+ lanes, each way -by default. The whole "build a three-lane road, then tear it up for a couple years & spend another billion bucks to add a fourth lane, only to tear it up and spend another billion bucks after five more years" thing is pretty silly.

Ten lanes, each way, every time.
I agree it's stupid how they underbuild, than a few years later they are tearing up a new highway for a multi-year expansion project. Makes little sense.
Perhaps it will encourage growth in the south, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
With the reservation boundary not far to the south, and South Mountain Park to the north, there's really not room for much "enlargement".
I was referring to the metropolitan area, not the city. What happens here is that the fringes on the west and southeast will grow because it will be easier to get back and forth. Someone who works in Chandler might be reluctant today to buy a home in Buckeye today, but with the freeway built they could be more apt to do it.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I was referring to the metropolitan area, not the city. What happens here is that the fringes on the west and southeast will grow because it will be easier to get back and forth. Someone who works in Chandler might be reluctant today to buy a home in Buckeye today, but with the freeway built they could be more apt to do it.
Oh the horror, stop the freeway then LOL. Buckeye already exists. If anything it will spur growth and raise property value in Laveen, which is kind of an infill area based on the fact that development has hopscotched around it. I don't see this making the far flung suburbs growing, as an employee in Chandler would then need to get on the I-10 parking lot at 59th Ave and go all the way to Buckeye?? Nah

Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
liberals like pbenjamin are just inherently against freeways because it has been drummed into their heads that freeways = sprawl (and I'm not a conservative either). This is absolutely a Phoenix bypass route for truckers and will really be nice to un-clutter the East side I-10 from a certain percentage of the big rigs that are either going to the DC's in the West Valley or continuing West on I-10.
If the only purpose was to route trucks around metropolitan Phoenix it could be done much more cheaply than this at a more remote location.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
If the only purpose was to route trucks around metropolitan Phoenix it could be done much more cheaply than this at a more remote location.
I guess you should be running ADOT then

Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM

445 posts, read 516,582 times
So there appears to be 16 unique posters on this thread...

I'm well aware of sample size issues here. But based purely on my personal and unscientific interpretation of the posts, 12 people appear to be very much in favor of the freeway, 2 seem to be opposed (including the OP), and 2 don't really seem to care one way or the other. So my question is, do the folks posting here think that the 75% strongly in favor rate is representative of the valley as a whole? And if so, how do those of you opposed to the freeway answer to the fact that the vast majority of people in the area seem to think it is needed?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
So there appears to be 16 unique posters on this thread...

I'm well aware of sample size issues here. But based purely on my personal and unscientific interpretation of the posts, 12 people appear to be very much in favor of the freeway, 2 seem to be opposed (including the OP), and 2 don't really seem to care one way or the other. So my question is, do the folks posting here think that the 75% strongly in favor rate is representative of the valley as a whole? And if so, how do those of you opposed to the freeway answer to the fact that the vast majority of people in the area seem to think it is needed?
That's the thing with NIMBY's, they only care about themselves by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area