Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
And if so, how do those of you opposed to the freeway answer to the fact that the vast majority of people in the area seem to think it is needed?
Everyone cried and complained about the Chandler\Gilbert section of the 202 as well, but I assure you no one is complaining now. I couldn't imagine all that traffic still trying to pile on the US60.

Plus it spurred a lot of much needed commerical growth like the San Tan Mall and even high paying jobs have sprouted up via the business parks.

MY home values went up a lot too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
anything that makes it easier to get to the city from the south encourages growth in the south - even it's Casa Grande.

// don't have a dog in this race, except I think if we're gonna build any freeways here they need 10+ lanes, each way -by default. The whole "build a three-lane road, then tear it up for a couple years & spend another billion bucks to add a fourth lane, only to tear it up and spend another billion bucks after five more years" thing is pretty silly.

Ten lanes, each way, every time.
Enlarging Casa Grande doesn't enlarge Phoenix (and I'm not sure there'd be that much effect on CG when this is built). There's still the reservation in between. I doubt they are going to build five lanes, or even four.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,416,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
If the only purpose was to route trucks around metropolitan Phoenix it could be done much more cheaply than this at a more remote location.
Gila Bend? Much longer and therefore no incentive to use that vs I10 through Phoenix. The SMF will help reduce commute times, congestion, accidents, pollution. Get on with it already.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Gila Bend? Much longer and therefore no incentive to use that vs I10 through Phoenix. The SMF will help reduce commute times, congestion, accidents, pollution. Get on with it already.

Exactly. You have to get closer to Phoenix than I-8 to make a bypass for I-10 feasible. And, it wouldn't just be for truck traffic, but for anyone coming up from southeast of the Valley who needs to get to the west side without having to pass through all the traffic into downtown.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,872,896 times
I am all for it!! Even though AZ85 does take some of the trucks off of I-10, it is still needed. I hope PHX is not going to be like TUC where the NIMBYs have taken over and there is no East -West freeway.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times
A few things, I think the supportive responses here are representative of the city as a whole, which is why voters have been backing this for close to 30 years

Second, it doesn't grow anything. The metro is going to increase inn population and its going to happen in the west valley for a large portion. We need to plan for this.

Many of these communities exist and a route running through a developed area of 51st ave, though the reservation and out that far south into another developed area isn't going to generate lots of new growth or change growth patterns

I think the western interchange should be more west in alignment personally.

Either way, it's not that close to jobs centers. Of you are in buckeye or the tuke it's not going to be your path downtown, to Tempe, Scottsdale, midtown, the 17 corridor, north Phoenix, etc

It will also help the industrial business in places like tolleson and near the railroad, the world mart and proposed canamex routes

Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,055,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
liberals like pbenjamin are just inherently against freeways because it has been drummed into their heads that freeways = sprawl (and I'm not a conservative either). This is absolutely a Phoenix bypass route for truckers and will really be nice to un-clutter the East side I-10 from a certain percentage of the big rigs that are either going to the DC's in the West Valley or continuing West on I-10.
You cite precisely why so many of us don't want this freeway- it will become a truck bypass (noisy, heavy, dangerous, filth-spewing diesel trucks.) Sorry, gang. The fight ain't over...

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

10,759 posts, read 23,867,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You cite precisely why so many of us don't want this freeway- it will become a truck bypass (noisy, heavy, dangerous, filth-spewing diesel trucks.) Sorry, gang. The fight ain't over...
Oh, you mean the ones that are already on I-10 sitting in traffic? Did it not occur to you that this was already proposed freeway before settling in Ahwatukee? This "fight" only prolongs the inevitable. The only thing NIMBY's will accomplish is wasting time and money.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Oh, you mean the ones that are already on I-10 sitting in traffic? Did it not occur to you that this was already proposed freeway before settling in Ahwatukee? This "fight" only prolongs the inevitable. The only thing NIMBY's will accomplish is wasting time and money.

Correct. To act like this is some new idea that the locals must rise up against simply goes against the facts. This road has been on the books for many years. If you moved to the south part of "Ahwatukee" in the last 20 years, you knew, or should have known, that it was coming. I live within hearing distance of the 101 loop, near the last part of it to be finished in Tempe. Moved here before any of it was built, but it was on the boards. Hasn't decreased my quality of life one bit.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 AM

445 posts, read 516,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
So you're against trucks? How do you think virtually every hard good you purchase gets to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area