Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:44 PM

498 posts, read 544,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
As an Ahwatukee resident, I don't see any benefit of a freeway connecting our nice community with the ghetto of west- Phoenix.

Anytime I listen to the evening news, the shootings and murders all seem to occur in west Phoenix "avenues". Why would I want a freeway for the thugs to access my community via a freeway?

Yes Thugs only travel by freeway. I hear they prefer mountain biking over South Mountain and through your back gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
As an Ahwatukee resident, I don't see any benefit of a freeway connecting our nice community with the ghetto of west- Phoenix.

Anytime I listen to the evening news, the shootings and murders all seem to occur in west Phoenix "avenues". Why would I want a freeway for the thugs to access my community via a freeway?

Now you've gone from whining about pollution-belching noisy traffic to worrying about "thugs" from the west side. I'm sure the good people of Goodyear and Litchfield Park and Estrella and Verrado (and yes, Avondale, Tolleson, and points west and north like Glendale) appreciate your dissing of the entire west side. Not buying any of it... and the court wouldn't buy it, either, if they heard it. Your credibility is dropping, sorry.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,417,245 times
Quote:

Oh this is a much better argument against the smf for you to take into court- go with this one...

Old 06-13-2015, 06:08 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Now you've gone from whining about pollution-belching noisy traffic to worrying about "thugs" from the west side. I'm sure the good people of Goodyear and Litchfield Park and Estrella and Verrado (and yes, Avondale, Tolleson, and points west and north like Glendale) appreciate your dissing of the entire west side. Not buying any of it... and the court wouldn't buy it, either, if they heard it. Your credibility is dropping, sorry.
While I agree that it is absurd to paint the entire west valley as bad because west Phoenix is not so good, the OP has something of a point. Crime often centers around freeway exits and entrances for obvious reasons. The west side of Ahwatukee is currently so isolated and hard to get to that only residents venture over there. The freeway will open it up to transient traffic (the ones they need to worry about) and the hotels, gas stations, and convenience stores that will eventually decorate every intersection will become hot spots for panhandlers, dopers, pimps, and hookers.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:36 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,057,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I never mentioned those other nice, west-side suburbs as the troubled areas. Everyone who's lived here a while knows the west Phx areas I was referring to.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,694,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
every intersection will become hot spots for panhandlers, dopers, pimps, and hookers.

LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqmr8rnKUg

Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
I never mentioned those other nice, west-side suburbs as the troubled areas. Everyone who's lived here a while knows the west Phx areas I was referring to.

As soon as you said "the avenues", you sounded just like all the other "east side good, west side bad" folks-- there's plenty of them here. If you don't want to be seen as one, don't make people read your mind.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,633,687 times
Quote:

When will the residents of Ahwatukee realize that this freeway is not being built solely for their benefit? It's not about you. It's about all the residents of Maricopa County. This is to increase regional mobility and will assist long distance travelers in bypassing the most congestion portion of the I-10.

If you don't want to be connected to a so-called "ghetto," move. You live in a metropolitan area that has its good areas, so-so areas, and not so nice areas. Anyone who thinks of Laveen as a ghetto really should move to some small Mayberry like town in Utah or somewhere. That's really the only place you might feel safe. Just because Laveen is heavily Hispanic and black doesn't mean it's ghetto. You didn't directly bring race into this, but I know some eastsiders hold the general attitude that any neighborhood that is predominantly non-white is bad. Laveen is a mostly middle class neighborhood with quite a bit of rural land that has been inhabited by the same families for generations. They're not trying to gain quick access to Ahwatukee to steal your Picasso. They're just trying to get to work, medical appointments, friends, family and whatever else with a little more ease and vice versa.

The problem is that too many people who are opposed to the freeway are entitled and arrogant. "Freeways are okay in other neighborhoods, just not mine." This freeway was voted on before the majority of Ahwatukee was even built. People who have moved to Ahwatukee since 1985 who are so anti-freeway did not do their due diligence prior to moving in the community. You knew the freeway was coming. You knew it was going to connect with the west side. Stop crying and accept that the plans are coming to fruition. In less than five years, people of all income levels and backgrounds driving all sorts of vehicles will be zooming by your "exclusive village."

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:

You're a typical NIMBY ... only thinking of yourself and what YOU want. My question is: why did you move to Ahwatukee Foothills knowing full well that a freeway had been planned there for the last 30 years??? You can continue to blow all the hot air you want about the Loop 202 extension, but at this point, you're really just farting in the wind. This freeway is long overdue, and needs to be built. Be gone, NIMBY, be gone!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM

837 posts, read 2,337,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
When will the residents of Ahwatukee realize that this freeway is not being built solely for their benefit? It's not about you. It's about all the residents of Maricopa County. This is to increase regional mobility and will assist long distance travelers in bypassing the most congestion portion of the I-10.

If you don't want to be connected to a so-called "ghetto," move. You live in a metropolitan area that has its good areas, so-so areas, and not so nice areas. Anyone who thinks of Laveen as a ghetto really should move to some small Mayberry like town in Utah or somewhere. That's really the only place you might feel safe. Just because Laveen is heavily Hispanic and black doesn't mean it's ghetto. You didn't directly bring race into this, but I know some eastsiders hold the general attitude that any neighborhood that is predominantly non-white is bad. Laveen is a mostly middle class neighborhood with quite a bit of rural land that has been inhabited by the same families for generations. They're not trying to gain quick access to Ahwatukee to steal your Picasso. They're just trying to get to work, medical appointments, friends, family and whatever else with a little more ease and vice versa.

The problem is that too many people who are opposed to the freeway are entitled and arrogant. "Freeways are okay in other neighborhoods, just not mine." This freeway was voted on before the majority of Ahwatukee was even built. People who have moved to Ahwatukee since 1985 who are so anti-freeway did not do their due diligence prior to moving in the community. You knew the freeway was coming. You knew it was going to connect with the west side. Stop crying and accept that the plans are coming to fruition. In less than five years, people of all income levels and backgrounds driving all sorts of vehicles will be zooming by your "exclusive village."

I'd like to buy you a steak dinner! Thank you for calling it like it is! The posts on AZ-CD repeatedly remind me why AZ is still a red state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area