Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times

Advertisements

This highway is so overdue that its becoming laughable at this point. Now these NIMBY turds are starting to anger everyone. I hope youre all happy! Sooner or later we will get the last laugh when it gets approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You cite precisely why so many of us don't want this freeway- it will become a truck bypass (noisy, heavy, dangerous, filth-spewing diesel trucks.) Sorry, gang. The fight ain't over...
Most of these trucks run cleaner than your car. I highly suggest you drop your ignorance on the matter and educate yourself. Trucks arent the soot-spewing monsters they once were. With all the DPF and EGR and SCR systems on these trucks, you can literally run your fingers inside the exhaust stacks and not get any soot on you. And another thing, these trucks are also quieter than they've ever been. You know NOTHING about the industry apparently, yet are quick to assume. Typical NIMBY nonsense.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM

43 posts, read 68,730 times
The obvious solution is to build the freeway in the NIMBY's front yards. Everyone wins.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Quote:
You cite precisely why so many of us don't want this freeway- it will become a truck bypass (noisy, heavy, dangerous, filth-spewing diesel trucks.) Sorry, gang. The fight ain't over...
The freeway will be a bypass for many, not just for trucks. ADOT hasn't once billed the freeway as a truck bypass. The anti-freeway crowd has labeled this proposed freeway a truck route and people have run crazy with that idea. The signed "truck bypass" for Phoenix will continue to be on the I-8 to Highway 85. Will trucks use the South Mountain 202 to get to the warehouses that line Van Buren in west Phoenix? Probably. But to act like the 202 is going to be equivalent to the 710 Freeway near the Port of Long Beach, which is filled with trucks day and night, is incorrect.

It's funny how noise, heavy, dangerous, filth-spewing diesel trucks are fine going through other parts of the Valley, but Ahwatukee is somehow off-limits. If these trucks are so dirty and dangerous, shouldn't we be concerned about all areas that they traverse, not just little ole' Tuckee?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times
Pretty much.

Sorry tukee, you aren't all special flowers.......

Old 05-22-2015, 03:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Is that your sole purpose in life ... fighting progress, involving yourself in frivolous lawsuits, and being a troublemaker? Go 'way, NIMBY, go 'way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Sorry tukee, you aren't all special flowers.......
Some (if not most) of the protest against the freeway is over the proposal to cut into a tiny portion of South Mountain. Ahwautkee Foothills residents somehow think South Mountain is sacred, and every rock & living creature must be spared from human touch. Well, too bad. The freeway has been in the planning stages since the mid 1980s, and has needlessly been delayed by these pathetic NIMBYs. It has been approved by the voters TWICE, and it is long past due for it to be built. As much as these NIMBYs fight tooth & nail to stop practically everything, they can distance themselves from civilization and live in isolation for all I care!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,056,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Most of these trucks run cleaner than your car. I highly suggest you drop your ignorance on the matter and educate yourself. Trucks arent the soot-spewing monsters they once were. With all the DPF and EGR and SCR systems on these trucks, you can literally run your fingers inside the exhaust stacks and not get any soot on you. And another thing, these trucks are also quieter than they've ever been. You know NOTHING about the industry apparently, yet are quick to assume. Typical NIMBY nonsense.
You're awful quick to claim my ignorance on the matter, but you don't know anything about me or my technical knowledge.

What makes you think all the trucks driving through will be newer model engines from the USA? Mexican trucks are notoriously filthy polluters not to mention dangerous.

If they want a truck by-pass, let them route it on I-8 west, then north on 85 past Gila Bend, then west on I-10 to Los Angeles.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
You're awful quick to claim my ignorance on the matter, but you don't know anything about me or my technical knowledge.

What makes you think all the trucks driving through will be newer model engines from the USA? Mexican trucks are notoriously filthy polluters not to mention dangerous.

If they want a truck by-pass, let them route it on I-8 west, then north on 85 past Gila Bend, then west on I-10 to Los Angeles.

That's not the sole purpose of that road. And, they already have that bypass, which does not take the traffic off the road (trucks AND cars) that is headed for west Phoenix.

So it's OK to have that pollution you are so concerned about creeping through Phoenix. You just don't want those vehicles going by at highway speed the neighborhood you knew that road was coming to when you moved in. We get it.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Quote:

The 8/85 route will remain the designated Phoenix truck bypass. You're calling others out on their supposed lack of technical knowledge when you are stating things that are false. If you look at the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the freeway on ADOT's website, you will see that this is not a truck bypass. The purpose and need of this freeway is not to create a dedicated route for trucks. As of now, there's nothing that prohibits these notoriously "filthy" polluters from using Phoenix area freeways. As far as you know, these trucks could be skirting Ahwatukee on the east side using the I-10 now. I fail to see how another freeway skirting Ahwatukee on the south side is going to be the tipping point that makes Ahwatukee unlivable. Lastly, these trucks have to go through an inspection station when they cross the border. It's not like they're allowed across customs just spewing out endless exhaust.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM

545 posts, read 1,487,222 times
Where I came from back east, there were NIMBYs like the OP everywhere. Nothing on the scale of the 202 SMF would ever get built because it would get tied up in litigation for years. They've been fighting a one lane addition to a 50 year old highway that needs to be rebuilt anyways for almost ten years - one freaking lane! It's refreshing to see the vast majority of people do not fight progress. As one who lives in Goodyear, it's a PITA to have to take the 10 through downtown just to get to Chandler. Likewise, it will make it much easier for those who live in the East Valley to get to the West. I personally can't wait for it to be finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area