Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, I have a demand rate. I was doing fine until it hit 118. I normally set the AC back up to 78 in July, but had it at 75. The AC ran a full hour I guess, and I got hit with a demand charge more than twice what it was in the last year's bill. APS customers will soon know the pain that I describe when your demand gets away on you.
That's why with SRP I went with basic. I use all my power during the "peak" hours anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, I have a demand rate. I was doing fine until it hit 118. I normally set the AC back up to 78 in July, but had it at 75. The AC ran a full hour I guess, and I got hit with a demand charge more than twice what it was in the last year's bill. APS customers will soon know the pain that I describe when your demand gets away on you.
It didn't hit 118 until the first weekend in June, I remember because had a big 4-day baseball tournament that weekend (thurs-sun) Prior to that, in May, it was pleasant the 5 days a week we were out in it hours on end. I think the demand pricing thing probably did you in, I do regular pricing and it was unseasonably low.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:06 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It didn't hit 118 until the first weekend in June, I remember because had a big 4-day baseball tournament that weekend (thurs-sun) Prior to that, in May, it was pleasant the 5 days a week we were out in it hours on end. I think the demand pricing thing probably did you in, I do regular pricing and it was unseasonably low.
The heat wave in June is in my bill. I went back and looked at the daily details and, yep, bad management in the heat wave with July like demand numbers. Oh well, its only money. The young-uns are home from college too and they leave everything running.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Where did it hit 118 exactly, because Sky Harbor topped out at 115 on the 4th of this month so far

Old 06-11-2016, 10:50 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,557 times
Man I sweated my butt off in the garage today, and it only got up to 99. Those days we recently had of 115+ and real dry, they actually felt better to me.

But I've come to the conclusion that it is harder for my ac to overcome 115 degree heat than a "humid" 99. The AC can still pull that extra humidity out of the air pretty well.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:38 PM

394 posts, read 342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've seen ranges from $1300-$1600/month for avg or less apts in the areas I've looked in, but I make $52k/year, so even then, $1600/month is still easily doable on my income, and I can do my job anywhere (truck driver).

Not everyone is a $10/hr dreamer with unrealistic expectations
$10/hr dreamer with unrealistic expectations? Not sure what that's referencing - but if you're trying to compare paychecks, you are tens of thousands behind...

I'm not trring to discourage you - just trying to enlighten... 52K won't go far in CA (even 15+ years ago that was a very avg wage).

But if you've got no other expenses, I guess spending half your income on housing works...

Old 06-11-2016, 11:45 PM

I've been in the West Valley all afternoon - the weather has been fine (except for the brief sprinkle that made the desert drive look even worse on the car)... I'm outside now in Goodyear and its cool & breezy... I understand it was hot last weekend (I wasn't here though) - but today wasn't bad at all.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
$10/hr dreamer with unrealistic expectations? Not sure what that's referencing - but if you're trying to compare paychecks, you are tens of thousands behind...

I'm not trring to discourage you - just trying to enlighten... 52K won't go far in CA (even 15+ years ago that was a very avg wage).

But if you've got no other expenses, I guess spending half your income on housing works...
First off, half of my income would be $2,200/month, I am not looking at anything over $1,600 and have plenty of options

I don't live a lavish life, my only real expenses are my car payment/insurance and rent. And I have a fiance who works, so it's not just my money.

And besides, you act as if you have to make $200k/year just to be working class in California, maybe in Cupertino or Atherton, but I had an ex who was only making $30k/yr living in Westminster and she wasn't homeless, so again, you are either exaggerating or think that everyone wants to live some lavish life with a 3k sq ft house, two cars, kids and the whole shebang.

The problem is is that everyone thinks they are middle class, wether they are or are rich or poor. I know where I stand in life, I am working class and don't see a house or kids in my future, me and fiance don't want them. So I'd rather at least live where I want, then settle somewhere just so I can have more stuff, I'm not a materialist like a lot of people

Old 06-12-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
First off, half of my income would be $2,200/month, I am not looking at anything over $1,600 and have plenty of options

I don't live a lavish life, my only real expenses are my car payment/insurance and rent. And I have a fiance who works, so it's not just my money.

And besides, you act as if you have to make $200k/year just to be working class in California, maybe in Cupertino or Atherton, but I had an ex who was only making $30k/yr living in Westminster and she wasn't homeless, so again, you are either exaggerating or think that everyone wants to live some lavish life with a 3k sq ft house, two cars, kids and the whole shebang.

The problem is is that everyone thinks they are middle class, wether they are or are rich or poor. I know where I stand in life, I am working class and don't see a house or kids in my future, me and fiance don't want them. So I'd rather at least live where I want, then settle somewhere just so I can have more stuff, I'm not a materialist like a lot of people
First of all, unless 52K is your net income, half is not 2200 per month, half is what I said (1600)... But let's not **** over earnings - I'm being honest with you... I've lived here all my life and have several adult decades behind me. I'm familiar with all the costs and it's clear you are not... I wish you luck, but I promise you - you will have a lightbulb go off in your head and will remember this forum convo once you are here and realizing the costs.

Having that been said... 20 years ago and prior, it was worth every penny living here... But since then, it has been downhill. Anyone that lives here will tell you the same - but I encourage you to come experience it for yourself.

ETA: BTW, there is no way in hell you can live here on 30K a year - and no, I'm not exaggerating... What decade was your fiance living in Westminster on 30K?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
First of all, unless 52K is your net income, half is not 2200 per month, half is what I said (1600)... But let's not **** over earnings - I'm being honest with you... I've lived here all my life and have several adult decades behind me. I'm familiar with all the costs and it's clear you are not... I wish you luck, but I promise you - you will have a lightbulb go off in your head and will remember this forum convo once you are here and realizing the costs.

Having that been said... 20 years ago and prior, it was worth every penny living here... But since then, it has been downhill. Anyone that lives here will tell you the same - but I encourage you to come experience it for yourself.

ETA: BTW, there is no way in hell you can live here on 30K a year - and no, I'm not exaggerating... What decade was your fiance living in Westminster on 30K?
My ex, not my fiance, and she was born and raised there, lived on her own there with one roommate from 2009-2013, then moved to San Jose with her boyfriend (she still lived at home when she was my girlfriend).

And I get paid per diem, so I only lose 12% of my check to taxes&benefits, so I do net over $950/wk

You are not talking realistically, like for example, I just picked up a load at the Coca Cola Warehouse in Downey yesterday, and I know that I make more than everyone there except management, and if what you said was even remotely true, then the people working there would either be on welfare, living 10 to an apartment, or homeless. There is a difference between living somewhere, and living the high life. 18 million people live in the 5 county area and I gaurantee you that at least 8 million of those make less than I do, and they get by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area