Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 AM

394 posts, read 343,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My ex, not my fiance, and she was born and raised there, lived on her own there with one roommate from 2009-2013, then moved to San Jose with her boyfriend (she still lived at home when she was my girlfriend).

And I get paid per diem, so I only lose 12% of my check to taxes&benefits, so I do net over $950/wk

You are not talking realistically, like for example, I just picked up a load at the Coca Cola Warehouse in Downey yesterday, and I know that I make more than everyone there except management, and if what you said was even remotely true, then the people working there would either be on welfare, living 10 to an apartment, or homeless. There is a difference between living somewhere, and living the high life. 18 million people live in the 5 county area and I gaurantee you that at least 8 million of those make less than I do, and they get by
Let's not forget, you implied you were going to live in OC the way you do in Phx... A couple of us put it in perspective (re-read the posts if you need a refresher)... Now you are talking about "getting by"... I never said you couldn't get by...

Here's a dose of Reality: Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney

Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

Use any cost of living calculator you want - they are all pretty close... I couldnt get the links to keep the city comparisons - but you can easily plug 'em in - and you'll find that you will need 80K in CA to live the way you do with 52K in Phx... Or the other way to look at it is; your 52K now is worth 33.5K in OC (your ex could doit, I suppose you can too).

Do forget, the tax rate is higher in CA too...

Good luck in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Back on topic.

Weather Channel has another vicious heatwave coming next week.

I'm seeing 115 Saturday and 120 Sunday then 118 Monday

Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Back on topic.

Back on topic, lol, NWS says 116 for Sky Harbor Saturday, which will be 1 above the standing Record of 115 set last year (2015) and 11 degrees above the normal high of 105! It's like June 2008 all over again (which also followed a cooler than avg May)

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 06-12-2016 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Back on topic.

I saw that too... I came out between the two heat-waves... On one hand, I guess it's good that I missed the worst of it - on the other hand, it would have been good to feel the worst I'll be dealing with... Oh well, I'm looking forward to the positives AZ brings over CA (which far outweigh the negatives - and cost isn't even the top of the list).

Old 06-12-2016, 10:05 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I saw that too... I came out between the two heat-waves... On one hand, I guess it's good that I missed the worst of it - on the other hand, it would have been good to feel the worst I'll be dealing with... Oh well, I'm looking forward to the positives AZ brings over CA (which far outweigh the negatives - and cost isn't even the top of the list).
It's irregularly hot. These sort of things happen once or twice at most in a usual summer. What you experienced is generally summer.

This might be a record breaking summer however.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It's irregularly hot. These sort of things happen once or twice at most in a usual summer. What you experienced is generally summer.

This might be a record breaking summer however.
Thanks for the insight...

At the risk of going (to another) off topic - I'm now concerned about the house I'm considering, as the back faces north-west more west than Noth and the afternoon sun (yesterday) was beating in the livingroom (but wasn't unbearable) ... I've read threads about north/south exposure - but it doesn't answer the main question I have, how much does 15 degree temp affect western exposure?

I understand it (115+) doesn't happen often, so shouldn't be much a factor - but I'm curious if it significantly increases AC strain?... Also, I think modern build materials are relatively effective in insulating - but I'm very concerned that direct west exposure would be a battle regardless of building material (the house isn't finished so I couldn't get a real feel yesterday). Do you have any insight on this?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Thanks for the insight...

At the risk of going (to another) off topic - I'm now concerned about the house I'm considering, as the back faces north-west more west than Noth and the afternoon sun (yesterday) was beating in the livingroom (but wasn't unbearable) ... I've read threads about north/south exposure - but it doesn't answer the main question I have, how much does 15 degree temp affect western exposure?

I understand it (115+) doesn't happen often, so shouldn't be much a factor - but I'm curious if it significantly increases AC strain?... Also, I think modern build materials are relatively effective in insulating - but I'm very concerned that direct west exposure would be a battle regardless of building material (the house isn't finished so I couldn't get a real feel yesterday). Do you have any insight on this?
My aunts home in Gilbert faces west, and she planted some deciduous trees in her back yard to provide summer shade, and winter sun

Old 06-12-2016, 11:09 AM

770 posts, read 839,255 times
This still isn't a heatwave these are normal Summer temps 115+ happens every year, and even the forecasted 120 has happened 4 times in the past 25 years. It's more a clickbait title to get a 20 page summer weather thread.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
This still isn't a heatwave these are normal Summer temps 115+ happens every year, and even the forecasted 120 has happened 4 times in the past 25 years. It's more a clickbait title to get a 20 page summer weather thread.
Officially, it has NOT hit 115 every year and it's only hit 120+ 3 times ever: 120 on 6/25/90, 121 on 7/28/95 and 122 on 6/26/90. It did not hit 115 in 2002, 2004, 2010 in the last 15 years

Old 06-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
So you don't consider Record Highs a heat wave
Good to know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area