Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 10:46 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCane View Post
As a newcomer I was expecting oven-like misery starting in May, but so far it's been mostly fantastic, with only a few days that were slightly uncomfortable. The pool at my apartment complex is still nice and refreshing here in mid-June. I'm honestly shocked by how bearable it's been.

Yes, I know, I'll check in again after July and August.
Its been cooler than normal for the most part. Yeah, we had a few days of record-breaking heat, but its not enough to drive up the pool temps to bath water temps just yet, as the nights are still relatively cool, and we also had a few rains as well. Come late July, youll be begging for October, and the cooler, drier air it brings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:25 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its been cooler than normal for the most part. Yeah, we had a few days of record-breaking heat, but its not enough to drive up the pool temps to bath water temps just yet, as the nights are still relatively cool, and we also had a few rains as well. Come late July, youll be begging for October, and the cooler, drier air it brings.

Or not. Some people like the heat. Don't forget that.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,834,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCane View Post
As a newcomer I was expecting oven-like misery starting in May, but so far it's been mostly fantastic, with only a few days that were slightly uncomfortable. The pool at my apartment complex is still nice and refreshing here in mid-June. I'm honestly shocked by how bearable it's been.

Yes, I know, I'll check in again after July and August.
I find monsoon season to be more tolerable. I think it's the overcast which does a huge favor for us blocking the sun. I'm sure you've noticed how different it feels when you are in a sunny area versus a shaded area outside in the summer yes? Imagine how much the clouds are doing for us during July and August.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Or not. Some people like the heat. Don't forget that.
For sure, just like there are those few who love a Northern winter. I dont know anyone personally who enjoys 110+ degrees. Not a single one.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:03 PM

597 posts, read 669,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I find monsoon season to be more tolerable. I think it's the overcast which does a huge favor for us blocking the sun. I'm sure you've noticed how different it feels when you are in a sunny area versus a shaded area outside in the summer yes? Imagine how much the clouds are doing for us during July and August.
Every time I visit Phoenix I notice what a relief the clouds can provide in hot weather. Phoenix area has that super-intense sun (IMO) and the same temp out of the sun can feel a lot better. I know, that's not exactly rocket science, but still.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For sure, just like there are those few who love a Northern winter. I dont know anyone personally who enjoys 110+ degrees. Not a single one.

I can list at least 10 right now that I know personally! (myself included)

I just get tired of the "everyone here hates the heat and all hide all summer wishing for October to arrive so we can enjoy life again and we love overcast days and winter is the best" posts. They just are not true for everyone here and to someone who doesn't live here, paints an inaccurate picture. Some people truly love the hot weather and sunshine.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:41 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,723,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I can list at least 10 right now that I know personally! (myself included)

I just get tired of the "everyone here hates the heat and all hide all summer wishing for October to arrive so we can enjoy life again and we love overcast days and winter is the best" posts. They just are not true for everyone here and to someone who doesn't live here, paints an inaccurate picture. Some people truly love the hot weather and sunshine.
How long have you actually exerted yourself for a sustained period out in the elements at 115 ? For those who either work or exercise for hours at 115...I believe 99.9% would prefer 105.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Every time I visit Phoenix I notice what a relief the clouds can provide in hot weather. Phoenix area has that super-intense sun (IMO) and the same temp out of the sun can feel a lot better. I know, that's not exactly rocket science, but still.
Very true. 101 at 3 am (a temperature I first hand witnessed in Glendale before at this time though I do believe we were going through a record-breaking heatwave at the time) feels a lot better almost a paradise actually, compared to 101 at 3 pm. I actually like our high temperatures during the summer nights, my qualms with the weather is when the sun is up and that's it. In fact the high 90s is amazing at night, if our days felt like our nights even the 101 example I gave earlier I would be preaching about Arizona weather on every forum. Unfortunately that is not the case as I am currently melting in my own apartment in Tucson. Ironically, it is almost 3 pm now and it is 102 according to my phone in Tucson.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
How long have you actually exerted yourself for a sustained period out in the elements at 115 ? For those who either work or exercise for hours at 115...I believe 99.9% would prefer 105.
I used to work in the summer above the I-17 with car pollution in the heat all day on a rope. There isn't a single soul who would want to deal with what I did during those summers, even ElleTea.

Anyone who works an office job however and only has to walk to their car and does most things indoors, like most Americans are, the temperatures rarely affect them except in the way of their electric bill.

There are people who like the heat but I can guarantee they are not outdoor workers, and that is ok.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I used to work in the summer above the I-17 with car pollution in the heat all day on a rope. There isn't a single soul who would want to deal with what I did during those summers, even ElleTea.

Anyone who works an office job however and only has to walk to their car and does most things indoors, like most Americans are, the temperatures rarely affect them except in the way of their electric bill.

There are people who like the heat but I can guarantee they are not outdoor workers, and that is ok.
I worked construction years ago, and remember that stretch in Jun 2008 when two weeks straight was 110-115, I was glad when that heat wave broke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area