Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Please do share more about your experience in Phoenix? There are some very obvious parts of the valley that most of us long time residents would suggest someone from a more liberal region should move to. So where did you decide to live when you were here? How long did you stick around? And what kind of career have you chosen in life?
I don't get this "Phoenix is too conservative and religious" thing, either. I have lived her over 3 years now and have lived in 3 parts of the valley. I have met a lot of people in my job. Not ONCE has religion or politics even come up in conversations. I don't get how it's such an issue for some people.

The only thing I have seen is an occasional Mormon riding a bike, usually in Mesa, but it's not like they are out harassing people.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't get this "Phoenix is too conservative and religious" thing, either. I have lived her over 3 years now and have lived in 3 parts of the valley. I have met a lot of people in my job. Not ONCE has religion or politics even come up in conversations. I don't get how it's such an issue for some people.

The only thing I have seen is an occasional Mormon riding a bike, usually in Mesa, but it's not like they are out harassing people.
I totally agree with ElleTea.

I lived in Scottsdale, Chandler and Mesa for a total of 25 years. The ONLY time religion was an issue was when I worked as the City of Mesa Courts. Many of the employees were Mormon, including several judges. As much as I hated that job (and failed abysmally), I honestly can't say that religion or not being a Mormon was an issue.

And with the possible exception of gun rights, I never found the area to be all that conservative, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
I thought everybody knew "xxxx is too conservative and religious" is California code for "I'm a very tolerant person but you have no right to offend me with your beliefs."

Quote:
It's their mere existence that's the problem. Live and let live is not in the California lexicon.

HTH.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I thought everybody knew "xxxx is too conservative and religious" is California code for "I'm a very tolerant person but you have no right to offend me with your beliefs."

It's their mere existence that's the problem. Live and let live is not in the California lexicon.

HTH.
I'm not sure what is this diatribe all about. Why are we talking about California?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I totally agree with ElleTea.

I lived in Scottsdale, Chandler and Mesa for a total of 25 years. The ONLY time religion was an issue was when I worked as the City of Mesa Courts. Many of the employees were Mormon, including several judges. As much as I hated that job (and failed abysmally), I honestly can't say that religion or not being a Mormon was an issue.

And with the possible exception of gun rights, I never found the area to be all that conservative, either.

Agree with both of you. When I did political polling for years, (haven't done it for several years now) the majority of people called each month described themselves as "somewhere between conservative and liberal". People here run the gamut from one end to the other, with a strong Independent presence in terms of voter registration. Lots of "Goldwater conservatives" still here too- conservative on financial issues, less so on social issues. If the OP's immediate neighborhood is too conservative for her taste, that's why I advised her to seek social options outside her immediate area, through meetups and volunteering. There ARE like-minded people for her here.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,961,307 times
Quote:

I have lived here much longer and don't get it either. I even live in the #1 offender, Gilbert. I have no idea what religion my neighbors are nor do I care. It has never came up and we still all like each other too.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not sure what is this diatribe all about. Why are we talking about California?
Because the person who complained about Gilbert moved from Southern California to take advantage of lower house prices in Arizona.

I know, I know, it's so unfashionable to read the OP these days.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Because the person who complained about Gilbert moved from Southern California to take advantage of lower house prices in Arizona.

Blah blah blah California

Old 01-06-2017, 10:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:

So since they are from CA, you're able to put words in their mouth. Got it.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
So, where do you live now? And was this a move you had to make or one you chose to make? Just curious about your experience.

Every time in my life I relocated, I found it energizing in a lot of ways. New city, new sights to see, so many new things to learn, new culture, new opportunities, you name it. Some of the moves I was more excited about than others, to be honest, but the way I dealt with it was by really committing to each new place at that time regardless of how great a place it was, or wasn't. I just put the past 100% in the past and threw myself into the new place completely even if I hadn't been all that excited about it as a place at the start.

I have always tried to approach wherever I'm living now with the mindset that I might live there for the rest of my life. This is a limiting mindset, but for me, it limits the distractions or dissatisfactions because I feel focused and committed. I've lived in some places most people think are garbage dumps but I got through it because I felt mentally committed and connected to it. But that's just what works for my mind.

I have found that once I decided I was going to leave a place, I had less contentment and connection there, than I did when I was 100 percent committed to my life there. It made me feel out of place even though I was still living there. And, hey, even if a place really is terrible, at least you get some new life experiences out of it.

I know there are people who plan to life in a place for X more years, then move some place else, and it works just fine for them. That's awesome if they can have that kind of peace and perspective. Personally, I couldn't do that. I'd just spend too much time waiting for time to pass or wanting to just move already.

I hope you start to feel better soon, clearly you've been through this before so I am confident you will get through it.
Thank you for your kind words! This move was one that was a little of both. We moved partially for family but largely for my husbands career. Honestly I think you have a very healthy mindset and that is truly the way to find contentment. This is where I struggle... I don't know how to chill and really be at peace with the places we move to. I'm so used to moving and the next thing that I've forgotten to just like you said, really settle in. However I'm finding now this is our normal and to make the most out of it. Meet as many people as possible, see and do activities, and live like you might move tomorrow... because chances are that's the case lol! I think this applies to everyone. No matter if you have lived in Gilbert your whole life... just really relish in what is here now. It's hard to do but makes life a lot more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area