Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:32 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Maybe when you move somewhere you should adapt to the place you are moving to, not the reverse?
Sure, if you moved to a small town. PHX metro is huge and has many different personalities so why force yourself to change when there's a better area that fits? OP just happened to land in an area that doesn't fit. It's not her fault or Gilbert's fault, it just happens. I've lived in multiple states/cities and I hated the first couple of moves until I learned to research, visit, and find the area that fits me. OP will have to do the same.

Meanwhile, OP, do check out meetup groups and also Liberal Ladies Who Lunch. There are several chapters in the PHX metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Well yes, climate and geographic location will have something to do with it, but that's not the entire picture, it only helps with making it desirable.
Well I wouldn't say it's politics or values, Southern California is a mixed bag. North OC and LA county is more liberal, South OC and SD counties are more conservative - all areas expensive. I don't fit into either group but I'm from the more conservative South OC .

Old 11-13-2016, 07:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well I wouldn't say it's politics or values, Southern California is a mixed bag. North OC and LA county is more liberal, South OC and SD counties are more conservative - all areas expensive. I don't fit into either group but I'm from the more conservative South OC .
Well yes some are more conservative than others, but when you average it out, CA leans very left as a whole. "Conservative" parts of CA, are not even as near as conservative as say the southern states.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:09 PM

36 posts, read 48,467 times
Quote:
Well yes some are more conservative than others, but when you average it out, CA leans very left as a whole. "Conservative" parts of CA, are not even as near as conservative as say the southern states.
So true! California republicans are definitley not the same as arizona republicans. They are real republicans out here haha maybe it's just the signs all over the town that made me feel like I may be the only liberal here.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsg1104 View Post
So true! California republicans are definitley not the same as arizona republicans. They are real republicans out here haha maybe it's just the signs all over the town that made me feel like I may be the only liberal here.
Yup lol, I bet even the moderates are like, whoa I look like a liberal in Gilbert.
It's evidence too that if you look at this election, even the OC voted for Hillary, that's saying something.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Yup lol, I bet even the moderates are like, whoa I look like a liberal in Gilbert.
It's evidence too that if you look at this election, even the OC voted for Hillary, that's saying something.
Haha yeah that is! I grew up in Aliso Viejo where kids got maseratis for their first cars. Well I'm glad I found some one else who is like minded!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
I was talking about Southern California, yes if you include the entire state it definitely leans left.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsg1104 View Post
Haha yeah that is! I grew up in Aliso Viejo where kids got maseratis for their first cars. Well I'm glad I found some one else who is like minded!
I grew up in LA from a poor working class family.

CA gave me the opportunity to go to college with it's Cal Grant programs along with federal programs and such (and I was able to earn two degrees, BS and MS heavily subsidized by the taxpayers of California) and I honestly feel guilty that I'm not there right now paying taxes to help someone else after they helped me.

I honestly want in the future eventually save enough money to move back there. If there is going to be another housing crash, I'm going straight back to LA because that's where my culture and values lie, the belief that fairness is not about self-entitlement and but rather everyone as a whole would rather pay a little more in taxes to make society better, the we're in this together attitude.

I hope you're not as depressed anymore!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I grew up in LA from a poor working class family.

CA gave me the opportunity to go to college with it's Cal Grant programs along with federal programs and such (and I was able to earn two degrees, BS and MS heavily subsidized by the taxpayers of California) and I honestly feel guilty that I'm not there right now paying taxes to help someone else after they helped me.

I honestly want in the future eventually save enough money to move back there. If there is going to be another housing crash, I'm going straight back to LA because that's where my culture and values lie, the belief that fairness is not about self-entitlement and but rather everyone as a whole would rather pay a little more in taxes to make society better, the we're in this together attitude.

I hope you're not as depressed anymore!
Thanks man! Yeah my family as well wasnt baller status. Growing up in OC was really a struggle. They are throwing up houses here so maybe just maybe new people with new ways of thinking move in. Wishful thinking!

Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Depressed in Gilbert
Dear Depressed in Gilbert:

Here's wishing you the very best.

~ Amicable in Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area