Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
Don't ya love it when a San Francisco-based court decides what the law should be in other cities?
I've seen homeless people defecating in public but nothing seems to be done about it. One of the incidents happened right outside a restaurant, and I reported it to the manager on duty but he blew it off and shrugged his shoulders.
If nobody is going to step up and do something about this problem it's going to get worse. I'd rather have my tax money spent on shelters than have these people out loose peeing, puking and pooping in public which is a big risk to public health.
Be careful what you ask for: "In November 2016, Los Angeles city voters approved Proposition HHH, the $1.2-billion bond authorization to subsidize the construction of permanent housing for homeless people. Since then, all of those funds have been committed to projects that will produce thousands of units of homeless housing over the next few years. But in three years, none has been completed."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ns-ineffective

Old 12-16-2019, 05:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
I understand that.
Do you think it's right for any court to dictate to cities that they can't pass laws and ordinances based on what they think is best?
We're talking about a serious problem, not just a few people begging on street corners.
Yes. That’s their job. Do we agree all the time? No. Over our heads. Imagine if city councils could pass laws with no repercussions.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:33 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
Defecating and upchucking in public isn't disgusting and dehumanizing?
I only compare them with trash if they behave like trash.
I daresay many of these people are drug addicts. This is happening in more and more cities. We have our fill of it in Seattle and it just keeps getting worse. It’s becoming the new normal.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM

784 posts, read 922,864 times
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would give a homeless person any money at a street corner......you aren't helping anyone, if fact you are making the situation worse...if you want to help give a donation to salvation army or another charity group that will spend it to make a difference.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Where are you living where the homeless are constantly vomiting and crapping?
Downtown Phoenix. They poop in my parking lot. The reality falls between the overexaggerated claims of the OP and your blind eye.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:43 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would give a homeless person any money at a street corner......you aren't helping anyone, if fact you are making the situation worse...if you want to help give a donation to salvation army or another charity group that will spend it to make a difference.
I could not agree more, JdaHunt . . .

Unfortunately, helping quickly turns to "enabling" in this type of situation.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,854 times
Many homeless people don’t want to stay in shelters anyway due to safety concerns. They’d rather be on the street. The rising cost of housing combined with stagnant wages, automation of jobs, and underfunded mental health services is going to make this problem progressively worse in the years to come.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,982 times
I saw some millenial moron no the news tonight (yeah I watch the news, what a boomer) that suggested the reason for all this homelessness rise was due to rising rents. OK, plausible,right?

His solution: rent control laws. Yeah, no thanks, we just saw what that did in SF, basically turns buildings into slums and quickly. Then the neighborhood goes, and absolutely nothing was solved, and areas became blighted.

Please stop, dear Democrats, from trying to solve (any) problems. You just get it wrong every time. That being said, while they have the wrong solution, I am not sure what the right solution is. People have to stop coming here when they don't have a real job lined up. And people that are here, they need to take job skill development very seriously. Even then, there will be paycheck to paycheck livers, like I was, that have no safety net or family to fall back onto.

How to help them, before they end up on the street? Especially if there are alot of them. Tough problem. Only getting worse as OP observes. And it's colddddd out tonight. Sucks bad to be out there.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
I understand that.
Do you think it's right for any court to dictate to cities that they can't pass laws and ordinances based on what they think is best?
We're talking about a serious problem, not just a few people begging on street corners.
Not if the local city is engaging in human rights violations. Sleeping, defecating, puking are natural bodily functions that are not optional, making these things a crime would be a gross human rights violation, not sure if these things are in the constitution but maybe they should be.

The founders probably never imagined vapid vengeful hateful people wanting to jail people for sleeping or peeing.

Sig hiel.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I saw some millenial moron no the news tonight (yeah I watch the news, what a boomer) that suggested the reason for all this homelessness rise was due to rising rents. OK, plausible,right?

His solution: rent control laws. Yeah, no thanks, we just saw what that did in SF, basically turns buildings into slums and quickly. Then the neighborhood goes, and absolutely nothing was solved, and areas became blighted.

Please stop, dear Democrats, from trying to solve (any) problems. You just get it wrong every time. That being said, while they have the wrong solution, I am not sure what the right solution is. People have to stop coming here when they don't have a real job lined up. And people that are here, they need to take job skill development very seriously. Even then, there will be paycheck to paycheck livers, like I was, that have no safety net or family to fall back onto.

How to help them, before they end up on the street? Especially if there are alot of them. Tough problem. Only getting worse as OP observes. And it's colddddd out tonight. Sucks bad to be out there.
So whats your solution? Cant say no rent control unless you have an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area