Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 05:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times

Advertisements

Downtown Tempe has a problem with panhandlers, and I don't believe a good share of them are truly homeless. They're standing on corners and in front of stores asking for spare change, often claiming they need it for bus fare, food, or whatever ... however, in reality, many of them use it for drugs, booze, smokes, or something unnecessary for survival. It makes no sense to give them any money because all that does is allow them to continue with their addiction, which only worsens the problem in the big picture.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:31 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It is because it cuts out peoples opinions like yours and is pure force. Either local law enforcement complies with the constitution or they can get shot up with military grade weapons and training. And then they are dead on the ground and the snide remarks cease.

Im sorry you have delicate sensibilities so want to create a police state but thats not what this country stands for. Maybe people in these communities should work WITH the homeless to fix the root causes instead of engaging in gross human rights and constitutional violations.

Sorry cant get on board with your side at all and I think this is a rare case where extreme force needs to be applied for non compliance with constitutional law which is the under pinning of our entire nation and what the military swears to defend.
You've lost your mind. I have no other explanation for what you've just wrote.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:42 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,591,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Where should they go?

definitely not in front of residential homes. I heard commercial businesses may be forced to allow this in front of their store.

One problem I heard is that some of the homeless don't want to be around others like them. They want to be on their own controlling an area or a little group of 2-5 people. They don't want to be in a shelter of 50-100 people. Is representing the homeless the next money grab for lawyers or ACLU?

Old 12-20-2019, 06:00 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,526,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
In the 4 years we've been here, the number of homeless cluttering up the streets has gone up and it has become a big problem.
It's bad enough when they pester people for money, but when they make their homes on public right-of-ways, defecate or throw up on sidewalks, bus stops, and entry ways, it's more than just annoying-------
it's a health and safety hazard.
I read Tempe and Phoenix have laws prohibiting people from camping on public property and begging in the streets but they're not enforcing them. This is part of the problem.
Even Scottsdale has a homeless problem, who could've imagined this?
I thought there would be shelters to house these people but are they overcrowded or underfunded and that's why they're living on the streets?
The homeless problem in San Francisco and other cities is worse but I'm afraid Phoenix is heading in that direction. This city needs to learn from California's mistakes and not copy what they do.
If it makes you feel any better, it is happening all over the country.......mentally ill and drug related......this is the end result of the drug crisis across the USA, proliferated by the cartels, which has rendered ONE COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT totally useless....

The drug lords have gone into every corner of America, targeting the less educated and vulnerable, and this is the end result of it...........that is why we need to take AMERICA back, by voting for the right people......!!!!!

Old 12-20-2019, 06:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
definitely not in front of residential homes. I heard commercial businesses may be forced to allow this in front of their store.

One problem I heard is that some of the homeless don't want to be around others like them. They want to be on their own controlling an area or a little group of 2-5 people. They don't want to be in a shelter of 50-100 people. Is representing the homeless the next money grab for lawyers or ACLU?
Why should a store owner, homeowner, or any property owner for that matter allow it? They have the right to remove anybody from their properties who they don't want ... whether it be by simply asking them to leave, or by forcing them off. The so called homeless can improve their lives just like anybody else can. If they don't want to be around others like them or live in a shelter, too bad. Beggars can't be choosers as the old saying goes!

Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 PM

87 posts, read 44,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Downtown Tempe has a problem with panhandlers, and I don't believe a good share of them are truly homeless. They're standing on corners and in front of stores asking for spare change, often claiming they need it for bus fare, food, or whatever ... however, in reality, many of them use it for drugs, booze, smokes, or something unnecessary for survival. It makes no sense to give them any money because all that does is allow them to continue with their addiction, which only worsens the problem in the big picture.
You shouldn't be so quick to judge them. Infact homelessness has been on the rise for years in the United States.

According to Statista's Niall McCarthy, the U.S. homeless population has increased slightly for the second year in succession according to a report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

https://www.statista.com/chart/6949/...meless-people/

Most of the homelessness is centered in Phoenix and Tempe. Instead of spending money like drunken sailors on lightrail, rail cars, or inflatible dams for permanent lakes (at least they got it somewhat correct the second time), maybe they should show some compassion for the less fortunate. Maybe even help them get back on their feet and give them skills to succeed in a modern society.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times
Wrong again, SOME are drug addicted. The media depicts the most extreme cases. And no, some one who is a laid off software engineer does not want to go to a shelter with wierdos and drug addicts and bed bugs and should not be compelled to by local law enforcement and the Supreme Court is finally protecting people’s rights.

Govt taking over price points of education and training would be vehmititly opposed by gop and libritarisns. There is no constitutional providence for pride controlled education or training, once states get tired of extreme poverty hopefully they will excersise states rights to set price points of state funded universities and training programs and make them acalible to those who qualify.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 PM

87 posts, read 44,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Wrong again, SOME are drug addicted. The media depicts the most extreme cases. And no, some one who is a laid off software engineer does not want to go to a shelter with wierdos and drug addicts and bed bugs and should not be compelled to by local law enforcement and the Supreme Court is finally protecting people’s rights.

Govt taking over price points of education and training would be vehmititly opposed by gop and libritarisns. There is no constitutional providence for pride controlled education or training, once states get tired of extreme poverty hopefully they will excersise states rights to set price points of state funded universities and training programs and make them acalible to those who qualify.
A laid off software engineer.. you do realize there is a shortage of developers who keep their skillset up to date? Also you don't need a college degree. You also don't need to go to a coding camp or anything like that. I'm not saying software development is for everyone. You definitely need to be able to self learn and spend long hours in front of a computer.

There are other paths besides coding. For example there is currently a shortage of skilled labor in the home construction industry. Education is expensive because government is involved with the loans.

To stay on topic, do you think rising student loans could be contributing to overall homelessness?

Last edited by DatBoiLavoi; 12-20-2019 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 09:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
A laid off software engineer.. you do realize there is a shortage of developers who keep their skillset up to date? Also you don't need a college degree. You also don't need to go to a coding camp or anything like that. I'm not saying software development is for everyone. You definitely need to be able to self learn and spend long hours in front of a computer.

There are other paths besides coding. For example there is currently a shortage of skilled labor in the home construction industry. Education is expensive because government is involved with the loans.

To stay on topic, do you think rising student loans could be contributing to overall homelessness?
I think that it’s a combination of issues:
Student loans
Cost of housing
Rapid change of what is in demand

I agree that a lot of homeless are not going to stay that way forever but a lot of decent people find themselves in that situation before they can retool etc.

It is getting easier and easier for things to go awry and I don’t want to be forced into a shelter or arrested or fined.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 PM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
It's been estimated that 2/3rds of the population is 2 paychecks away from being homeless, and where I worked, I would guess only 1 week away.

Someone mentioned Venice Beach homelessness. Do you have any idea how long it would take, perhaps years, for a developer to even get a 3 story apartment built there? And forget about a high rise, as the CA Coastal Commission won't allow any high rises along the entire CA coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area