Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 10:19 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times

Advertisements

Not to worry, Californians are on the job: https://www.gofundme.com/f/citizensagain

Old 12-22-2019, 08:11 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That is BS!

I don't know anyone that ever lived in a truck in order to save.
Lots and lots of people are in very precarious situations and most people don't like to think about it and ignore it.

The reality is good jobs (if lost in a lay off) are extremely difficult to replace without having to do something extreme like move across the country or get an entirely new degree and skillsets (which takes more time and money).

Unless said person has enough saved such that they can live passively off their savings (ie not draw down principal but rather live off the interest earnings) and pay to finance their retooling they are going to be in a very bad situation when the down sizings come.

Just because people don't like to think about it or think that its paranoid or think they are the top 0.00001% and are super duper geniuses does not make this a false narrative.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Without the kind-hearted, sympathetic people in this country, the homeless population would be much higher. The 2009 recession all but decimated my roommate of 20 years, and I let him live here rent free, and, yes, he does a lot around the house for me. He gets odd jobs, here and there, so at least I don't have to buy him food and beer.

I know of others in the same boat, offering refuge to the down-and-out, and without us, they'd be on the streets.

So, really, the homeless population figures are misleading.
This is what we do for friends as well. Some times we charge a nominal fee to help cover some of the utility costs but its very little compared to what rent goes for around our area and thats only when I was also out of work and my wife was floating the whole thing. Now that we are solvent again we would not even charge that.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:42 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,586,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Why should a store owner, homeowner, or any property owner for that matter allow it? They have the right to remove anybody from their properties who they don't want ... whether it be by simply asking them to leave, or by forcing them off. The so called homeless can improve their lives just like anybody else can. If they don't want to be around others like them or live in a shelter, too bad. Beggars can't be choosers as the old saying goes!
I agree.
I was simply paraphrasing what California's governor proposed. Sorry to bring his name up here.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...235525832.html

Business owners don't own the sidewalk the city does. Yet business owner may now need to ensure they have rights regarding the sidewalk in front of their business.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I agree.
I was simply paraphrasing what California's governor proposed. Sorry to bring his name up here.

Business owners don't own the sidewalk the city does. Yet business owner may now need to ensure they have rights regarding the sidewalk in front of their business.
Taxes are going to get steep to pay for the camps you wsnt

Old 12-25-2019, 10:02 PM

784 posts, read 923,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You haven't heard of he old Indian saying: Give $10 away and $40 will come back to you in some form or another.
Giving a homeless person $10.00 isn't going to create $40.00 of goodwill your way...it more than likely will help your local drug dealer or liquor store so yes that would be good for them.....for you it just means more trash on your street corners, more beggars looking for handouts and an invitation for more crime.

Like I said if you really want to make a difference then donate money to a local reputable charity, then I do believe goodwill will come your way.....no pun intended.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I agree.

They want to own it all though so they can deal harshly with the less fortunate. That's the end game, they want them all to just disappear.

I can see how it would be frustrating as a small buisness owner but this situation has been brought on by years and years of failed economic policy and alot of people just cant compete in todays market. Buisness owners have supported these sorts of policies every step of the way.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:31 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
"McAuliffe, 37, said in her native California, tenants sometimes don’t pay to persuade landlords to fix problems. She didn’t know Arizona landlords can quickly evict tenants who withhold rent for any reason."

Some people are simply ineducable.

There should be a sign at the border: "You're now entering Arizona, not California East. Leave your bad manners behind."

Old 12-26-2019, 09:20 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
No it's not exploding "Nation Wide", just in certain areas like California and other permissive areas.
You're absolutely wrong with this statement. Sure it's worse in California but it is, in fact, skyrocketing nationwide.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
You're absolutely wrong with this statement. Sure it's worse in California but it is, in fact, skyrocketing nationwide.

Hard to pin down actual stats but SF Chronicle just wrote an editorial where they said it's down nationwide by 10% over the last decade while up 22% in CA. Not defending/denying the numbers, just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area