Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:33 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would give a homeless person any money at a street corner......you aren't helping anyone, if fact you are making the situation worse...if you want to help give a donation to salvation army or another charity group that will spend it to make a difference.
So that they can get some booze and escape reality for just a bit.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Supreme Court today refused to consider an appeal of the 9th Circuit's ruling on anti-camping ordinances, so the the circuit court's ruling will stand. Basically, the 9th Circuit ruled about a decade ago that local governments cannot outlaw sleeping and camping in public spaces unless they can offer shelter as an alternative. Since shelters are often full, cities and towns cannot legally take action against everyone whose presence might be offensive. Public defecation and urination might still be illegal, but someone would have to be caught in the act.

https://news.google.com/search?q=hom...S&ceid=US%3Aen
Yes becasue they know that it would be a gross human rights violation. Having millions of people locked up across the nation because they were sleeping or puking. When that day comes we will have to start considering asylum else where becuase thats a nazi state.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
San Francisco based court? You make it sound like some podunk court ruled this. This is the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit...we are in that jurisdiction.
And the judges on that court are from all over the 9th Circuit, including Arizona.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
I understand that.
Do you think it's right for any court to dictate to cities that they can't pass laws and ordinances based on what they think is best?
We're talking about a serious problem, not just a few people begging on street corners.

That's what appellate courts do. What a city thinks "best" is not always consistent with the law.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:33 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
If you think it's bad here, take a look at this stunning visual story in today's NY Times after reporters spent 3 months visiting homeless camps in the Oakland, CA area. The story is much the same in other cities. The reporters then compared what they saw in CA with shanty towns in Mexico City.

Sobering stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 AM

1,336 posts, read 927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you think it's bad here, take a look at this stunning visual story in today's NY Times after reporters spent 3 months visiting homeless camps in the Oakland, CA area. The story is much the same in other cities. The reporters then compared what they saw in CA with shanty towns in Mexico City.

Sobering stuff.
Yeah I just saw that, pitiful situation. First thing to do, while providing a temp shelter, is to get these folks jobs, not UBI or a handout, because that will only cement their situation. Many lost a job while living paycheck to paycheck. We as a society can mitigate those situations, it may even be cheaper overall than doing nothing and have the population of homeless grow along with the garbage and pollution they create.

Others with mental illness there is no clear solution that I see.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:09 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would give a homeless person any money at a street corner......you aren't helping anyone, if fact you are making the situation worse...if you want to help give a donation to salvation army or another charity group that will spend it to make a difference.
Also, a fair share of them who ask for money on street corners or freeway exits aren't really homeless. Many of them are just panhandlers trying to get handouts. It's sad when you see some of them carrying signs claiming to be homeless vets, but we have no way of knowing if they even served. Regardless, you're correct that it makes no sense to give them money because they'll spend it on cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs in many cases. I've donated to the VFW and other similar charities which stand a greater chance of putting those funds to better use. Even so, the best charities won't be of any help unless the truly down & out actually make the effort to help themselves more.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 AM

1,336 posts, read 927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So whats your solution? Cant say no rent control unless you have an alternative.
Yes, I can certainly disqualify concepts guaranteed to make things worse, while not providing a known to work alternative.

I do think for a certain population of homeless, a temp shelter complex, with links to transportation and jobs, is a rough concept that could be worked out to at least get them supporting themselves. But even that idea does not solve the widening income to rent gap. When rents go up, due to better jobs coming in, some existing renters aren't qualified for those jobs, rent goes up due to competition for that area, and the low wage hourly types get kicked out.

One solution, millenials pay attention, is to get a freaking education or vocational training that allows you to keep working and don't make stupid financial or life decisions. Bad decisions have serious consequences, that society does not have to bail you out of at all times.

But I get the problem, I certainly do, having lived paycheck to paycheck and just been lucky (and worked hard) to be in the tech industry in a time of rising tide, so I never got too close to being laid off (afaik!). But I could have, and without a place to go, I would have been kicked to the curb, too.

Overall life is a struggle, and if all the negative consequences of not being careful are taken away by progressive's welfare and UBI plans, society will fail down, not struggle up.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:39 AM

306 posts, read 335,930 times
A significant cause of homelessness is addiction. I'm cold hearted, but coddling is not a solution. I'm willing to fund treatment, but at some point individuals need to take responsibility for themselves. I'd also like to see mother nature take it's course to some degree. I watch the live cop and rescue shows and the use of Narcan to bring back overdosers doesn't sit well with me. If people can't, or won't help themselves, I'd rather not prop them up. Cold, right? But that's how I feel.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Not if the local city is engaging in human rights violations. Sleeping, defecating, puking are natural bodily functions that are not optional, making these things a crime would be a gross human rights violation, not sure if these things are in the constitution but maybe they should be.

The founders probably never imagined vapid vengeful hateful people wanting to jail people for sleeping or peeing.

Sig hiel.
This is such an ignorant comment. Of course bodily functions are not optional, but where you decide to do them is an option. Of course a homeless person needs to pee and poop, but do they need to do it in the middle of the sidewalk? I was in line at CVS last week waiting to get a prescription. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lady just straight up peeing in the parking lot. Kids walking by. Is that ok with you? They are either too lazy, too cracked out, or just don't care. It has nothing to do with human rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area