Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 09:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,255,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They're the ones responsible for this outbreak (China)
Did you get this from watching TV or AM radio? If you read this on the internet and have a good article to share, please do. Just curious why you know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Even though I've been disappointed in Ducey's handling of this, the delays in test results aren't all his doing. Sonora Quest experienced a backlog of tests during the height of the outbreak. Knowing this, their labs needed to get their asses moving, and do whatever was needed to process the tests at a more expedient rate. Ducey specifically sent a message to Sonora Quest to "step up their game" ... yet, they still experienced slow turnaround times, even after the state gave them $2 million for equipment in order to increase capacity & decrease turnaround times.
Here is a news article from July 23 regarding this issue in Colorado https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/07/...s-jared-polis/

Quote:
Gov. Jared Polis announced at a news conference on Thursday, “The bulk of those tests from last week were shipped to national labs and that’s where you are talking 9 days, 10 days, 11 days.”

So with that wait, you would find out if you had the virus nearly two weeks ago.

(credit: CBS)

Polis directed his frustration at the Trump administration, “By the time you get it back it was meaningless and it shows the failure of national testing and the lack of planning.”

So instead, Polis is turning more to his own state for the testing results. Up to 50 sites around the state for testing and expanding lab capacity, processing 10,000 results tests a day currently. Hospitals, private companies and universities are joining in the effort.
So back in July, apparently the bulk of Colorado tests had to be shipped to national labs and that was the bottle neck.

The plots (with reference) back in post 2483 generally show

Day 0 infection occurs
Day 2.5 person starts to become infectious
Day 4 Peak infectious
Day 5 Symptoms finally start (note that the person has been infectious for 2.5 days and did not know
Day 9 Person is about 1/4 as infectious as they were at peak.

Those plots are compilations of statistical data so are only general but its pretty easy to see that if it takes even a few days to get test results, the test loses a lot of its value.

I dont know if Colorado was able to decrease the test turn around time or not but it was identified as a problem.

Curious if anyone has had a very recent test and had the actual time between when they were tested and when they got results.

Last edited by waltcolorado; 08-31-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Did you get this from watching TV or AM radio? If you read this on the internet and have a good article to share, please do. Just curious why you know this?
Oh, for crying out loud! Anybody who has remotely heard anything about COVID from the very beginning knew that the outbreak began in China. Numerous articles on the internet, including the NY Times, confirmed it. There are too many links to post, but here are a few to get you started:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/23/2...-symptoms-risk

Quote:
Public health experts around the globe are scrambling to understand, track, and contain a new virus that appeared in Wuhan, China, at the beginning of December 2019. The World Health Organization (WHO) named the disease caused by the virus COVID-19, which references the type of virus and the year it emerged. The WHO declared that the virus is a pandemic.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coro...-timeline.html

Quote:
The outbreak of the virus, which began in Wuhan, China, has sickened more than 14.7 million people. At least 610,200 people have died.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/timeli...ry?id=69435165

Quote:
Health authorities in China confirm that dozens of people in Wuhan, China, are being treated for pneumonia from an unknown source. Many of those sickened had visited a live animal market in Wuhan, but authorities say there is no evidence of the virus spreading from person to person.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Curious if anyone has had a very recent test and had the actual time between when they were tested and when they got results.
a good friend of mine and his wife got tested at Mayo today and had the results in 6 hours..

Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 PM

It looks like you have documented that the virus did start in China (which yes.. we all did know already). And your links dont show anything but that.

My apology as I mistook your statement "responsible for the outbreak" to mean that China was somehow responsible for where the US is now (world leader.. and not in a good way). But I guess you just meant that the virus first showed up in China.

FYI, here are some links that show how this whole thing played out..

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-embed-quick**
https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...ine---covid-19
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52573137

Last edited by waltcolorado; 08-31-2020 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
a good friend of mine and his wife got tested at Mayo today and had the results in 6 hours..
Good info! Looks like Az has this greatly improved over where things were (at least at Mayo)..

Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 AM

9,775 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I had a doc appt. In order to get in the hospital, you need to get your nose tickled. It feels like jumping in a lake without plugging your nose. 8 hours later, the results were in.

Realize that the Mayo has about 70,000 employees. That's not a typo. I have dozens of Mayo doc customers. A customer of mine runs the lab division in Rochester. If I heard him correctly, revenue is a crazy number. Hundreds of millions of dollars per year (35,000 tests per day). https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/ They support 4,000 clients. Plus, they have about 1,000,000 patient visits per year with their three campuses.

Re: COVID test speed. Price, quality, service. Pick two of the three. I had some blood work done for my annuals tests. My MN doc ordered it at Sonora Quest Laboratories. They are amateurs in comparison. Poor logistics, employees that cannot find their arse with both hands, and some 20 years old, high school flunky coordinating. Good luck finding an amateur at the Mayo. I cannot say enough good things about the Mayo as their service is impeccable.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Apparently that if you had any other condition in life that it's a sham that you died from covid. That's the angle they're trying to control the narrative, but it doesn't hold water. Just because somebody had an underlying condition does NOT mean they didn't die from covid; it simply means they are more susceptible to dying from covid.
It's the current regieme's sham, they might as well start selling "Real men don't wear masks" tee-shirts.
Also, apparently, the entire world is in on the scam to try to make Trump lose the election with this no big deal covid. I wonder how the dems got 99% of countries in the entire world to join in?
Furthermore, they are also failing to consider that some, more like many, of these "underlying" conditions, are caused by COVID itself. Do they really think all of these people had pneumonia and respiratory failure prior to contracting a virus that causes respiratory failure and pneumonia? LOL! The lack of thought prior to spreading these failed gotchas is astounding.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:46 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I had a doc appt. In order to get in the hospital, you need to get your nose tickled. It feels like jumping in a lake without plugging your nose. 8 hours later, the results were in.

Realize that the Mayo has about 70,000 employees. That's not a typo. I have dozens of Mayo doc customers. A customer of mine runs the lab division in Rochester. If I heard him correctly, revenue is a crazy number. Hundreds of millions of dollars per year (35,000 tests per day). https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/ They support 4,000 clients. Plus, they have about 1,000,000 patient visits per year with their three campuses.

Re: COVID test speed. Price, quality, service. Pick two of the three. I had some blood work done for my annuals tests. My MN doc ordered it at Sonora Quest Laboratories. They are amateurs in comparison. Poor logistics, employees that cannot find their arse with both hands, and some 20 years old, high school flunky coordinating. Good luck finding an amateur at the Mayo. I cannot say enough good things about the Mayo as their service is impeccable.
Florida dumped Quest today for testing. They said results they are getting are two, three weeks old and as much as five months! Obviously that makes knowing the status of spread in a community very difficult. I suspect the same is going on in AZ where when we see things like yesterday's 3% positive rate and then today it is 10%. Those could be results from a couple weeks ago just coming in now. It is just inexcusable that we are still having all these testing problems.

Well, it appears that we are going to be switching most testing now to antigen tests which are not as accurate (false negative bias) but much more timely. We will see how that goes in the numbers over the next few weeks.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Default Testing Mess

We received new federal testing guidance and it is no wonder the testing process is so messed up.

We are required to give all staff a test that we get the results in 15 minutes (identifies the positive people). Anyone that tests negative on this test, which is 99.9% of our staff, has to have a follow-up negative confirmation test with the nasal swab that is sent to the lab for processing. We have to repeat this twice a week.

So each staff member that is negative has to have four tests a week. It is no wonder things are so bogged down and a mess. Each test is processed in house on one machine so we can only give one test every 15 minutes (that doesn't include the follow up negative confirmation test).

Multiply the time, money, and PPE it takes to administer this testing regimen for 300+ staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area